Get rid of the NMC

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
It's nearly impossible for Canadian teams to get top-level talent.
Maybe they should do what other teams do and fix their management?
I mean, till Vito(wtfever his name is in Florida) took over, no one wanted to go there. How many stars have signed in Columbus? Hell, Nash bailed, Carter when traded forced himself to be traded someplace else. How many star players did Arizona sign over their years? Poorly managed teams struggle with signing star players, go figure.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Who said I was pissed? I used a hypothetical to demonstrate my lack of caring or sympathy for the situation. I really couldn't give a shit if a millionaire athlete is inconvenienced. Comparing their lives and lifestyles to that of our brothers and sisters in the military....why should/would I?

Though there is a certain level of irony there with this coming from a guy calling himself Rich Nixon protecting the rich like that when making a comparison to our service people.

What’s crazy to me is the outrage over this suggestion.

These athletes literally have guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed money for the duration of their contracts. They can get the contact and mail it in, not earning a fraction of the cap that’s allocated to that player. And there’s people here actually protecting these guys - it’s unbelievable.

Like look directly at PLD’s deal. Why should that money be guaranteed in a hard cap world? There needs to be some checks and balances here IMO.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Everyone who makes it to a second contract earning 3x the minimum or more gets trade protection these days it’s insane people are defending this.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Most of this is the draft. Tavares was the last top 10 UFA to come to Canada, before that it was Mogilny to Toronto...in 2001...
Just look at the Boston Vancouver trading places.

Boston gets the top center in free agency and a coveted D man both guys that cost the Nucks a ton as rentals. Van gets a second line RW and a PTO forward.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Most of this is the draft. Tavares was the last top 10 UFA to come to Canada, before that it was Mogilny to Toronto...in 2001...
What good UFAs actually make it to market? 27 YO Tavares has been the biggest name UFA in the last 10 years, and he ended up in Canada. VAN and EDM have resigned all their own UFAs, and even CGY was able to sign Kadri and resign Huberdeau. Even WIN was able to resign MS and CH.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Just look at the Boston Vancouver trading places.

Boston gets the top center in free agency and a coveted D man both guys that cost the Nucks a ton as rentals. Van gets a second line RW and a PTO forward.
Would VAN have paid Lindholm the BOS contract? BOS was highly motivated as they desperately needed an upgrade at center and VAN is much deeper at C.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm pretty sure Roman Hamrlik was a Top-10 UFA when he signed with Montreal, and I suspect Erik Cole was such as well.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Everyone who makes it to a second contract earning 3x the minimum or more gets trade protection these days it’s insane people are defending this.
"This" being a situation where teams are just asked to meet their contractual obligation. Don't understand the issue of asking a player to commit to a team for 7-8 years and then allow the team to not fulfill their commitment and send the player to someplace they never would have signed.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
How is the league being ruined by No Movement Clauses?

You can’t make the on ice changes you might want to make to improve your team because most of the desirable players in the league have NMC

I’m surprised you’d ask this, it’s self evident and doesn’t really require an explanation

What’s crazy to me is the outrage over this suggestion.

These athletes literally have guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed money for the duration of their contracts. They can get the contact and mail it in, not earning a fraction of the cap that’s allocated to that player. And there’s people here actually protecting these guys - it’s unbelievable.

Like look directly at PLD’s deal. Why should that money be guaranteed in a hard cap world? There needs to be some checks and balances here IMO.

Next CBA should allow teams to cut players outright

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Bust

Jul 28, 2016

I agree with this. I don’t see how the NHLPA would have an issue with this if it’s guaranteed money. The salary for the cut player would come straight from ownership of the team cutting the player. Player is removed from the cap and gets out of a toxic situation.

Everyone wins.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
You can’t make the on ice changes you might want to make to improve your team because most of the desirable players in the league have NMC

I’m surprised you’d ask this, it’s self evident and doesn’t really require an explanation

Would players also be able to sit out and demand a new contract as well?

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I agree with this. I don’t see how the NHLPA would have an issue with this if it’s guaranteed money. The salary for the cut player would come straight from ownership of the team cutting the player. Player is removed from the cap and gets out of a toxic situation.

Everyone wins.
So the player would get his full salary from the first team, who have cut him, his salary isn't on the cap or in escrow, and he's free to sign with a new team like he's been bought out? Yes, I imagine the NHLPA wouldn't have too many objections, but the owners would.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Could be a couple of scenarios.

1. the moment a player waives their NMC/NTC it goes away for remainder of contract. This happened with Weber. He waived to go to Montreal and however his deal was written they didn't have to go back to him. At least that's how I remember it.

2. Teams couldn't sign a player to a NMC/NTC contract if they already the maximum number allowed on the roster.

3. Maybe it's akin to a NFL franchise tag. I know the league uses those for players they can't typically extend long-term. But, a team only has one at a time. Similarly, NHL teams would 'tag' two players, or however many, as franchise players and they'd have that privilege. Wouldn't necessarily be a one-year scenario.

I think they're bad for the league, so creating policy that grandfather's in a system where they are better controlled would be something I support.
Weber never had valid trade protection. The offersheet he signed with the Flyers had a NMC in it, but teams are only required to match the financial side of the offersheet. When his agent asked Nashville to include the NMC, they said no.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Would VAN have paid Lindholm the BOS contract? BOS was highly motivated as they desperately needed an upgrade at center and VAN is much deeper at C.
Vancouver would not have paid Lindholm the Boston contract. Lindholm also wanted to be the 1/2C on a team, those spots are full in Vancouver. Wasn't going to be a good fit for either party long term considering those factors.

Boring as hell. In the NBA you send players packing wherever the hell you want. Movement of players is good for entertainment, the NHL needs to fix up.
If the salary cap can actually start going up consistently and meaningfully then I think we'll see less NMCs and NTCs. I agree that a more lively trade market is pretty crucial for the growth of the game and parity in the league.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone

Everyone wins.

Everyone except small market teams and their fans, as they can't just buy their way out of mistakes.

They also will get outbid by big markets who can weaponize buyouts by offering lower salary at much longer term, knowing it's going to be bought out halfway through ... If I get an offer of 4x5 from a small team or an 8x4 from a big team with an understanding that it'll never make it past year 4, guess which one I'm taking?

That also has the side effect of big teams essentially being able to buy a lower cap hit for equivalent value players.

Of course young star players on small markets will quickly see the value of bigger money, and the ability to go get another big contract after a buyout, so they and their agents will quickly force their way out of the small markets ASAP.

So back to the era of haves and have nots.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I like the idea of maxing out the NMC contracts to 2 or 3 per team. I understand players rights, but this is dragging down the league. Players know when they sign to play a game for millions of dollars, there's a chance they might have to move to different cities. That's a part of being in professional sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad