Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2021-22

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Among other things. I think getting stronger is the main thing for him, it'll help with every part of his game.
Hopefully make him a little faster. The knock on him coming out of the draft was his lack of speed (for a NHL'er). I don't think he'll ever be fast, but most small top 6 C's, in order to be successful, must be at least slightly above average speed wise.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Based on the two games so far I think Boldy is clearly an NHL player right now, and a pretty good one. I think he is forcing his way on to this team with his play. Rossi, on the other hand, has been fine but he hasn't done anything to make you think that the Wild would be crazy to send him back down. He still has work to do.

Agreed on Rossi, doesn't look quite ready yet but not far off either, safe for the faceoffs, obvious work needed there.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
The defense played there is atrocious (granted it’s a short snippet, I’d like to see what happened leading up to the goal), I’m sure we could ice a team of players from this board that could play better defense good grief.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i wonder if we'll sign the johansson brothers to play in iowa next year? (i know they're not bros). im disappointed both khovanov & sokolov went downhill , i hope its not iowa coaches just didn't know how to handle them. besides wallstedt are any of our prospects doing well? not named boldy or rossi

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
i wonder if we'll sign the johansson brothers to play in iowa next year? (i know they're not bros). im disappointed both khovanov & sokolov went downhill , i hope its not iowa coaches just didn't know how to handle them. besides wallstedt are any of our prospects doing well? not named boldy or rossi
Khovanov also had trouble with his coach(es?) in the KHL, and it's not his coaches fault that he couldn't get his act together to get a visa in time for training camp. It's not like it should have been a surprise for him...he was already on a signed contract with the Wild.

Dewar and Addison are very nice prospects that developed in Iowa. Shaw is another that can play NHL minutes. Beckman can too, but he is better off staying in the AHL. He needs to fill out, but he has exciting potential with that shot of his, and his feet already look much better than they did in camp. Beckman is no slug like Sokolov, and is playing a decent two way game, though he'll never be known for it. He's a sniper. We'll see what happens when ROR/Hunt hit the AHL next year. The Wild need some talented Dmen in the system...it's pretty grim down in Iowa right now.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

It's on the GM for putting together a tire fire of an AHL team. Just compare the 2 years Fenton put together the AHL roster compared to every other season Iowa has had. 1 year in the Playoffs (only time ever for Iowa) and when the COVID shutdown happened they had the 2nd most points in the league.

If FJ signs I think he'll be loaned back the the SHL since he has a contract there and that team is good. SJ looks to be doing well in the Liiga this year, but I have no clue what they'll do with him.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I had an interesting thought. When we drafted Wallstedt originally, there was a fairly large contingent of people who did not want to use a first on a goalie. Wallstedt looks like he could be the best goalie prospect since Vaslievskiy. How do we feel about the pick?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I had an interesting thought. When we drafted Wallstedt originally, there was a fairly large contingent of people who did not want to use a first on a goalie. Wallstedt looks like he could be the best goalie prospect since Vaslievskiy. How do we feel about the pick?

This is basically what needs to happen in order to feel satisfied with it. Anything much short of that and it'll feel like a waste.

Having that second 1st rounder was a good way to temper any disappointment with the Wallstedt pick.

P10p

May 15, 2012
This is basically what needs to happen in order to feel satisfied with it. Anything much short of that and it'll feel like a waste.

Having that second 1st rounder was a good way to temper any disappointment with the Wallstedt pick.

He needs to be the next Vas for you to be satisfied? Not sure if I'm not understanding your point but if that's what it is I would temper expectations a slight bit.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He needs to be the next Vas for you to be satisfied? Not sure if I'm not understanding your point but if that's what it is I would temper expectations a slight bit.

Satisfied with spending a 1st rounder on a goalie, yes. If he's just a good starter, it'll be nice, but those are found throughout the draft, which is where the whole 'goalie in the 1st round' debate stems from.

Vasilevsky is probably going to go down as one of the best goalies of all time, so no, he doesn't have to meet or exceed that, but he can't be 3 tiers down from it either.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's on the GM for putting together a tire fire of an AHL team. Just compare the 2 years Fenton put together the AHL roster compared to every other season Iowa has had. 1 year in the Playoffs (only time ever for Iowa) and when the COVID shutdown happened they had the 2nd most points in the league.

If FJ signs I think he'll be loaned back the the SHL since he has a contract there and that team is good. SJ looks to be doing well in the Liiga this year, but I have no clue what they'll do with him.
Fenton signed AHL "star" veterans that had little to no NHL upside. Guerin is focussing on younger players like Rossi, Boldy, Jones, Beckman, Addison, ROR, and giving them top TOI, sometimes at the expense of a couple of wins. I'm fine with that.

Always felt good about it. It's a glorious feeling to have a franchise goalie, and massively underrated on these boards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Whatcha talking about?

My draft ranking:
11WALLSTEDT, JESPERGLULEASWE-JR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Me on draft day:
I am personally not comfortable with that as our main future duo (in regards to Kahk/Jones). IMO Kahkonen really isnt a prospect anymore (and I see him as a 1B type anyways) and Jones is still a B prospect.

Generally I would agree but when you have top 15 goalie goalie drop to us at #22 and we still have a #26 pick, then 1st/2nd round really just a label, its a small difference of 10 spots (plus the differenec of their drop)

...I am actually kind of concerned at our goalie pipeline.

I will stand alone on this goalie hill. Wild will pick Wallstedt I say!

Goalie goalie goalie.

Me post-draft pick
*Dances on the goalie hill alone*

I willed this pick into existence.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018

Those expectations seem a bit high. Vasilvskiy is a Verona trophy winner, 2-time cup champ, etc., who would have a legitimate argument at 1OA in a redraft.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Those expectations seem a bit high. Vasilvskiy is a Verona trophy winner, 2-time cup champ, etc., who would have a legitimate argument at 1OA in a redraft.

Call it 'Vasy-lite' then. Be in the Vezina discussions at multiple points during his career and have there be a legit argument for him to go top 10 in a re-draft 10+ years from now.

Expectations for goalies taken in the 1st round are artificially ramped up precisely because of the whole debate about whether or not they should be taken in the 1st round. I 100% have a different expectation for a goalie taken at #20 than I do for a forward or defenseman as far as considering that pick to be successful.

BuiumSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Call it 'Vasy-lite' then. Be in the Vezina discussions at multiple points during his career and have there be a legit argument for him to go top 10 in a re-draft 10+ years from now.

Expectations for goalies taken in the 1st round are artificially ramped up precisely because of the whole debate about whether or not they should be taken in the 1st round. I 100% have a different expectation for a goalie taken at #20 than I do for a forward or defenseman as far as considering that pick to be successful.
Yeah, I get it. I just think, if you get a quality starter, that’s worth a first round pick to most franchises. Wallstedt is trending to be more than that, and a potential generational goalie prospect. I am very happy with the pick currently.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, I get it. I just think, if you get a quality starter, that’s worth a first round pick to most franchises. Wallstedt is trending to be more than that, and a potential generational goalie prospect. I am very happy with the pick currently.

Took a quick look at the guys drafted after him, and Wyatt Johnston is having a hell of a season. 6'1" RH center currently leading the OHL in scoring. In the end, that's partly what's going to decide things... who did we pass on?

Don't get me wrong, I'm ecstatic that he's trending the way seems to be trending. And like I said to somebody else earlier, having that second 1st round definitely made it more palatable.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

That is where I disagree. I wouldn't put different expectations due to player position but I do put different expectations due to draft position. If my expectations for player pick at 20's is a 3rd line forward (a Foligno, Hartman type), then I want a Talbot type of goalie.

That said, I do have higher expectations for Wallstedt because of his talent and would be disappointed if he didn't reach it. I like using past Wild players as comparisons (easier to imagine them) so he reminds me of a more mobile Niklas Backstrom. Not a flashy game but such economical and efficient movements with a 6'3 size. It gives me that similar low-maintenance feel - a goalie you can rely on and who can play alot of games without fatigue.

Backstrom was a Vezina finalist once and was 3 years over .920 so I hope for that conservatively. Hopefully he can be more and like you said a Vasy-lite.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That is where I disagree. I wouldn't put different expectations due to player position but I do put different expectations due to draft position. If my expectations for player pick at 20's is a 3rd line forward (a Foligno, Hartman type), then I want a Talbot type of goalie.

That said, I do have higher expectations for Wallstedt because of his talent and would be disappointed if he didn't reach it. I like using past Wild players as comparisons (easier to imagine them) so he reminds me of a more mobile Niklas Backstrom. Not a flashy game but such economical and efficient movements with a 6'3 size. It gives me that similar low-maintenance feel - a goalie you can rely on and who can play alot of games without fatigue.

Backstrom was a Vezina finalist once and was 3 years over .920 so I hope for that conservatively. Hopefully he can be more and like you said a Vasy-lite.

This is exactly what I don't want to waste my time with in the 1st round. Go find a Talbot in the 3rd or 4th, or free agency.

Reactions: TaLoN

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
This is exactly what I don't want to waste my time with in the 1st round. Go find a Talbot in the 3rd or 4th, or free agency.

I just don't think it is that easy to find. My worry is following the Edmonton model and then look back and asking yourself "how come we never develop a good goalie"?

They drafted Ilya Konovalov (2019 - #85), Olivier Rodrigue (2018 - #62), Stuart Skinner (2017 - #78), Dylan Wells (2016 - #123) and others. At some point, you have to invest in addressing a big problem.

Now, I do AGREE that if you have glaring holes in both forward and goalie, you go forward - if all remains equal. But if choices are a potential Ryan Hartman vs Cam Talbot, I think theres definitely an argument to take the goalie.

But I do half agree - that is why I did kind of want Chaz Lucius and Fyodor Svechkov over Jesper Wallstedt - but they were picked right before him so my choice became clear after.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
If he can have a career like Pekka Rinne that would be plenty good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad