OT: General OT Thread #44 - The World is Still Turning

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I feel like the old man screaming at the clouds for saying this, but I'm completely bored with all these comic book character movies. Seems to me like nothing more than an easy and lazy money grab by Hollywood....good for them, I guess, because they do bring in the money...but they just aren't for me.

I agree for the most part. The Deadpool movies are the exception for me. I did enjoy the Hawkeye tv show too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm rewatching Game of Thrones. So damn good (up until the ending anyways). Will watch House of Dragons after, any opinions?
Huge fans of GOT. Not HOD. Simply not interested in most of the characters, which was a strongpoint of GOT.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I feel like the old man screaming at the clouds for saying this, but I'm completely bored with all these comic book character movies. Seems to me like nothing more than an easy and lazy money grab by Hollywood....good for them, I guess, because they do bring in the money...but they just aren't for me.

I generally hate comic book crap but I remember liking the first two... I think. Don't like the actor though lol.

Throughout the years I liked the first tobey spiderman, the dark knight, and joker, that's about it.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I generally hate comic book crap but I remember liking the first two... I think. Don't like the actor though lol.

Throughout the years I liked the first tobey spiderman, the dark knight, and joker, that's about it.

I also liked Joker but I wouldn't call it a comic book movie, even though its based on a comic book character. Maybe because there's no superhero to come and save the day. I might be splitting hairs here.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I also liked Joker but I wouldn't call it comic book movie, even though its based on a comic book character. Maybe because there's no superhero to come and save the day. I might be splitting hairs here.
I don't think you're splitting hairs. It was much different than "comic book movies" to its very bones. It wasn't action and effects, it was character development and affect, and it had a more mature feel because of it. I wouldn't even call it a comic book movie.

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
There are so many fantastic actors and actresses in GOT, but dang... Peter Dinklage is so good. Really a shame there's not many ways to get him in more stuff.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There are so many fantastic actors and actresses in GOT, but dang... Peter Dinklage is so good. Really a shame there's not many ways to get him in more stuff.
Um... his schedule is FULL! Not sure how he can get in more stuff at this point.

He has 4 films in post production and another in production right now, and from 2020 on, has been involved in 15 films.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The new Deadpool movie is a good popcorn flick. It's not a movie I would say needs to be watched in a theater, but the shared audience reactions/experience are nice to have.

I had to listen to an hour plus rant from the wife about how Gambit (she's a huge fangirl) needs to have his own movie after we got home.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The new Deadpool movie is a good popcorn flick. It's not a movie I would say needs to be watched in a theater, but the shared audience reactions/experience are nice to have.

I had to listen to an hour plus rant from the wife about how Gambit (she's a huge fangirl) needs to have his own movie after we got home.
Gambit has needed his own movie since X-Men films started happening

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Target near me has it's last year's model headphones on sale right now. I've been wanting a new Bose headset for a couple of years, picked one today for $190 (half price of retail). The wife an in ear headphones for half price too (forget which brand).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
The Target near me has it's last year's model headphones on sale right now. I've been wanting a new Bose headset for a couple of years, picked one today for $190 (half price of retail). The wife an in ear headphones for half price too (forget which brand).
Bose are so expensive. I really like my pair of Beyer headphones, except that the covering starts to flake off after a couple of years. The Audio-Technica are really good also, but are too small for my elephant ears.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I've had insane headphone issues. I cycled through a bunch of $100 ones over the last 5 years before finally ponying up ~$300 for a pair of Sennheiser's, known for their durability and longevity. Unfortunately, in less than one year these are already falling apart, physically - and not just flaking around the ears. That was my issue with the $100 ones, so I'm pretty angry about it. I'd love to get some durable studio headphones, but I have trouble finding wireless ones with noise cancelling that can also connect to bluetooth. Frankly, I'm not sure that even exists.

If anyone knows of a good headphone that will last a long time, is noise cancelling, has good sound quality, is durable, can connect via bluetooth, can be charged via USB, and doesn't have a microphone attached to it, let me know.
Bose are so expensive. I really like my pair of Beyer headphones, except that the covering starts to flake off after a couple of years. The Audio-Technica are really good also, but are too small for my elephant ears.
I've had good experiences with Beyerdynamic, and would go back to them in a heartbeat if I could find something that fits my requirements.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I've tried a few other brands. Bose is the one that fits my ears the best, and I find are the most comfortable to wear. They are dang expensive though so I've told myself no for a few years.

I've had insane headphone issues. I cycled through a bunch of $100 ones over the last 5 years before finally ponying up ~$300 for a pair of Sennheiser's, known for their durability and longevity. Unfortunately, in less than one year these are already falling apart, physically - and not just flaking around the ears. That was my issue with the $100 ones, so I'm pretty angry about it. I'd love to get some durable studio headphones, but I have trouble finding wireless ones with noise cancelling that can also connect to bluetooth. Frankly, I'm not sure that even exists.

If anyone knows of a good headphone that will last a long time, is noise cancelling, has good sound quality, is durable, can connect via bluetooth, can be charged via USB, and doesn't have a microphone attached to it, let me know.

I've had good experiences with Beyerdynamic, and would go back to them in a heartbeat if I could find something that fits my requirements.

The Bose require an app to connect via bluetooth on my phone, but other than that they do all of these things. The ears padding is the only issue I've ran into. The pads can be changed, but it's a bit of a pain to do.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've tried a few other brands. Bose is the one that fits my ears the best, and I find are the most comfortable to wear. They are dang expensive though so I've told myself no for a few years.
Fit is so important if you are going to be using them a lot.

Reactions: Wabit

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Fit is so important if you are going to be using them a lot.

This is so true. The biggest quality of life improvement I had in the Navy was going from the basic ear protection to getting a David Clark headset on my cranial.

Some of the general aviation headsets I've gotten to wear are just insanely good. Just don't look at their price tag.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Just saw Alien Romulus. Good movie with one major flaw. If this Weyland/Yutani station had gotten so far with experiments, had lost contact, then drifted so close to a highly populated Weyland/Yutani mining colony you're damn sure that Weyland/Yutani would've sent someone themselves to try to reclaim it. It wouldn't have been just these kids "stumbling onto this station that drifted into orbit."

Overlook that aspect, and I think it's a very good film.

Reactions: Sweetnut

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Just saw Alien Romulus. Good movie with one major flaw. If this Weyland/Yutani station had gotten so far with experiments, had lost contact, then drifted so close to a highly populated Weyland/Yutani mining colony you're damn sure that Weyland/Yutani would've sent someone themselves to try to reclaim it. It wouldn't have been just these kids "stumbling onto this station that drifted into orbit."

Overlook that aspect, and I think it's a very good film.
Exactly. Everyone knows you send in one engineer by himself to reclaim the station, and if you lose contact with him mysteriously, you nuke the whole damn thing. Did you murder a single person in the most overkill way possible? Yeah, probably, but what if aliens.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: TaLoN and Sweetnut

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Exactly. Everyone knows you send in one engineer by himself to reclaim the station, and if you lose contact with him mysteriously, you nuke the whole damn thing. Did you murder a single person in the most overkill way possible? Yeah, probably, but what if aliens.
No, completely wrong. You capture the Alien, and get science nerds to do experiments on them - because, think of the possibilities for humanity- and how could anything go wrong in that scenario?

I mean, if those pesky Aliens misbehave and start eating people again then you can always capture them again.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BagHead and TaLoN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad