OT: General College Hockey Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Puppa2Miller

Oct 4, 2007
Big 10 up to 31-3 combined score in the first round. Insane.
I think Michigan St. and ND would have both been capable of good showings in this tourney as well. This is easily the deepest the Big 10 has been and I have been following it since its inception.

They need to get rid of that archaic Pairwise system, and as much fun as Canisius making the tourney is, they need to get rid of auto-bids if there are only going to be 16 teams. The hockey today was just not entertaining from a competitive standpoint.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
I think Michigan St. and ND would have both been capable of good showings in this tourney as well. This is easily the deepest the Big 10 has been and I have been following it since its inception.

They need to get rid of that archaic Pairwise system, and as much fun as Canisius making the tourney is, they need to get rid of auto-bids if there are only going to be 16 teams. The hockey today was just not entertaining from a competitive standpoint.
I cannot disagree more with getting rid of the autobid. That exists in NCAA Soorts that have less teams than hockey. It's absolutely essential that lesser conferences have a way into the tournament. Getting rid of the auto bid would badly damage college hockey as a whole.

The AHA has historically been very competitive playing against one of (and often THE) best team(s) in the country in the tournament. Colgate beat one of the best teams in the country to earn their way in the tournament. Harvard, Western Michigan, and Mich Tech were at large bids and got smoked. And no thank you to adding subjectivity to the at large selection process.

Simply put this year's first round was an anomaly when it comes to the competitiveness of the games.

Last edited:

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'll go out on a limb and say St. Cloud shocks the Goofs tonight. A lot of my picks have been caca so far...why not chuck another turd atop the dung heap, eh?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
These refs have to do a lot better at physically not getting in the way of the play, already once at each end they've goofed.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota picks up a critical insurance marker. Looks like it will be two more weeks before they can try to sign Johnson.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I don't understand why there's an extra week off before the round of 8 and the frozen four. Makes no sense to me.
I always assumed they just didn't want the Frozen Four to be the same weekend as the basketball Final Four? It's always lined up that way where the basketball championship was in that week off.

Reactions: Chainshot

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Kudos to tOSU: I didn't think they would hang with The Cats this well. Quinnipiac has been the best team all year and the Bux have been underachievers given their personnel.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Woooo!

penn-state-hockey-flag-banner-psu-gif-15946515.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad