Gene Principe

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seriously Oilers fans. Was the decade of darkness not enough pain for you guys? You have to watch this walking, talking, pun making buffoon prance around in boxing gear on your broadcast?
Rather have Eric Francis and his is this hockey or baseball intel?

I'm not a fan, but the dude is non-offensive and doesn't take himself too seriously, he's nothing to complain about.
This guy gets award for best flames fan. See him regularly being normal

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
Woah woah woah, Ryan Leslie absolutely is entertaining. He's not as in your face with the humor, but he throws his puns out there too and is regularly joking around... he used to have a game with Gaudreau where Johnny would bet him he couldn't work certain words into interviews.
Ryan Leslie the Harvard educated rapper?

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
This guy gets award for best flames fan. See him regularly being normal
I'm actually an asshole. But generally it's because people are saying stupid shit that gets under my skin and my tolerance for those who lack intelligence is slight. But I don't see the point in trolling or starting a pissing contest, like every Flames or Oilers related thread seems to turn into.

Reactions: ACLEVERNAME

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Gene Principe is an absolute beauty. He's typical cool prairie uncle vibe
Yeah. Every time I see him I think ‘fun dude’ and ‘loves his job’. I mean, I’m not expecting genius tv. Just fun and tell me a hockey story. Check, check.

At least Sportsnet forced him to finally get a haircut.
I can agree with this. That was the worst bad hockey hair.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Gene is the guy you like having over for Thanksgiving but then you don't mind if you don't see him again until Christmas.

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Gene got his stride with Joe Pascucci on CKND in Winnipeg back in the day.

There were lots of Gene Principe gems on CKND Sportsline back in the day, but one that stayed with me was once, during a Flames highlights segment, Robert Reichel's helmet came off, revealing a skinhead-type buzzcut.

Gene goes: "more like Robert THIRD Reich-el"

You can't say things like that on TV anymore :laugh:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He’s certainly no worse than 2nd act Pat Foley, and he gets much less air time.

I find his schtick tiresome but if he makes the home fans happy, then good for them.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
I burst out laughing when he pulled the chicken out of the microwave 😄

Between Principe and Jack Michaels, Oilers got the best broadcast team going

kugelbahn

Feb 15, 2018
Every time I accidentally watch Canadian broadcast, I am a bit taken aback by these talking heads, Gene, Friedman, used to be Cherry with sidekick.
It is like watching abc/cbs/nbc news and accidentally switching to fox news here in US.
Weird quirky dudes from alternate universe...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Said for years this guy needs his own comedy show that plays exclusively empty bars at three in the afternoon.

I don't particularly like his punny cornball schtick but outright hating Gene seems wrong. He's just a goober and if Oiler fans like him then all the power to them.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Gene is hilarious and beloved in Edmonton.

Plus if you ever get the chance to meet him, he is one of the nicest dudes in hockey.
It's not a comment on his character. More on him being about as funny as Will Farrell was in The Office and adding zero insight into the game.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
not my cup of tea but would strongly defend the oiler's fan's right to enjoy him. we need more principes and less plastic conventional hockey commentators with annoying up to date haircuts, snazzy suits and pointed shoes mouthing platitudes and taking care never to share an original thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad