Proposal: Gardiner/JVR+2017 unprotected 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
jaden Schwartz just signed for 5.3 ish just recently and is a better player im not worried about term or $. And the way jvr plays and can skate like the wind i have no doubt he can play till his mid late 30's.

Jaden was a RFA, so there is a big difference. JVR would get a lot more on the open market....

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
nah we will just sign him up for 6 years, 6 million per.
we should have barrels of money with laich,greening,robidas,lupul, bozak etc giving us an additional 20M in cap space and no one to sign besides JVR/Willie

Yeah I don't see much motivation at all for the Leafs to move JVR if no one makes them a really good offer. He represents such a large portion of their proven scoring, and they shouldn't have any problem signing him cap wise if he's happy to stay in Toronto as they look to turn the corner. He gets thrown out a lot around here in proposals, mostly because he's arguably their most valuable veteran piece at the moment, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he's a Leaf for a long time.

Mad Brills*

Yeah I don't see much motivation at all for the Leafs to move JVR if no one makes them a really good offer. He represents such a large portion of their proven scoring, and they shouldn't have any problem signing him cap wise if he's happy to stay in Toronto as they look to turn the corner. He gets thrown out a lot around here in proposals, mostly because he's arguably their most valuable veteran piece at the moment, but I really wouldn't be surprised if he's a Leaf for a long time.

IMO, if he gets moved, it's only during next summer, if they can't get him to sign long term to a similar deal as Killorn did. Then you get something for him.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Jake Gardiner isn't being traded and I can't believe I just read in this thread that Lindholm is a top 5 dman.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Leafs probably shouldn't do either. Everyone undervalues Gardiner here in a really ridiculous way. That said, if it's JVR + 1st for Barrie, I'd do that in a heartbeat, although I wonder how interested Colorado is in that. You got some people who are super high on JVR, and then you got someone me, who like, he's good and all, but he isn't like, an all-star. There are no legit contenders without two forwards better than him, and I'd kinda be hard pressed to find one without three. Like, even if you're super generous to him, and just go with guys definitely better, Anaheim has Getzlaf and Perry, Chicago has Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Panarin, Dallas has Seguin, Benn, and Spezza, Florida has Jagr and Barkov, Los Angeles has Kopitar and Carter, Nashville has Johansen, Neal, and Forsberg, Pittsburgh has Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel, San Jose has Thornton and Pavelski, Tampa Bay has Stamkos, Kucherov, Palat, and Johnson, and Washignton has Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Kuznetsov. So, I'm being pretty generous here, and didn't even get into a debate over Rakell, Kesler, Sharp, Bjustadt, Smith, Trochek, Huberdeau, Toffoli, Pearson, Hornqvist, Kunitz, Hertl, Marleau, Oshie, and Williams. Oh, and I forgot the Blues, who have Tarasenko and Steen before considering Fabbri, Stastny, and a few others, and this is all off the top of my head. JVR is a first line winger, but in the "there are not 30 LW/90 F better than him" sense. On a good team he's a pretty solidly complimentary piece, whereas I think Barrie can be the best RHD on a Cup team. Gonna get in **** with some Seabrook fans, but he's better than any RHD on the Blackhawks Cup teams imho. So, that one I do in an instant and I don't blame Avs fans for saying no. But I ain't trading Jake Gardiner at his ticket for anything, because nobody is gonna pay what he's worth.

BreakingGood

Jun 29, 2014
Jake Gardiner isn't being traded and I can't believe I just read in this thread that Lindholm is a top 5 dman.

Uhhh, that's only really ridiculous in the "I don't want to judge a young D that quickly" way. Who was better than him last year? Karlsson, and uhh... Maybe Burns? Mayyyybe Doughty/Subbam? He was REALLY good.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Jaden was a RFA, so there is a big difference. JVR would get a lot more on the open market....

ahh right, still i dont see him getting more then 6.5 and thats in 2 years time
which im fine with 6x6 or 6x6.5, rest of my argument holds up, he will be a good productive players well into his 30's, would be very shocked if he couldnt keep up.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
ahh right, still i dont see him getting more then 6.5 and thats in 2 years time
which im fine with 6x6 or 6x6.5, rest of my argument holds up, he will be a good productive players well into his 30's, would be very shocked if he couldnt keep up.

He may sign for 6.5 if the term is max....I can see him wanting more based on current production. If he has a great year this season the number will start with a 7 if the term is 6 years.

I think he is moved if he has a great year as I do not see the Leafs wanting to pay what he will want over the term he will be seeking. I would not want to pay him 7M per and then have to resign our young stars moving forward. Lets hope that we can get him signed to a cap friendly contract.

If I'm being honest, I'm in the trade him camp for a positional need.....this season should see just what we have in some of our prospects.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Uhhh, that's only really ridiculous in the "I don't want to judge a young D that quickly" way. Who was better than him last year? Karlsson, and uhh... Maybe Burns? Mayyyybe Doughty/Subbam? He was REALLY good.

According to the people that voted on the Norris, everyone on this list:

Drew Doughty
Erik Karlsson
Brent Burns
Kris Letang
Roman Josi
John Klingberg
Victor Hedman
Ryan Suter
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Shea Weber
Duncan Keith
Dustin Byfuglien
Mark Giordano
P.K. Subban
Ryan McDonagh
Aaron Ekblad

Not to mention most of the big names on that list were leading their respective teams in ice time by a large margin. Not only did Lindholm get much less time, he didn't even lead his team in the regular season or playoffs. Great d-man? Yes. He's got the potential to be top 5 for sure, but he's not there yet.

Last edited:

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
The Leafs already aren't very good. If you take JVR and Gardiner out their line up, that unprotected 1st will probably be 1-3 OA (depending on lottery obviously)

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Leafs would have the worst 2nd pairing in the league without Gardiner... I never understand people's proclivity to gut their bottom 4 defenders to stack the 1st pairing. A team like Pittsburgh with their depth scoring would kill them.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

He was pretty bad from the viewings I had of him.

Go back and watch the game the Ducks played here in Toronto last year. Lindholm was a train wreck in his own end that game. I don't buy him being anywhere close to a top 5 defender anytime soon.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He may sign for 6.5 if the term is max....I can see him wanting more based on current production. If he has a great year this season the number will start with a 7 if the term is 6 years.

I think he is moved if he has a great year as I do not see the Leafs wanting to pay what he will want over the term he will be seeking. I would not want to pay him 7M per and then have to resign our young stars moving forward. Lets hope that we can get him signed to a cap friendly contract.

If I'm being honest, I'm in the trade him camp for a positional need.....this season should see just what we have in some of our prospects.

he most likely does not gonna go over 7, looking at comparable production from some players, and if he does then he will be putting some really solid numbers. either way im fine with w/e contract he gets cause i know by the end of it he will more then likely still be a good player and have lived up to his end of the deal.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
OK we need a high end RHD D-man but we don't have the Hall type player to get one so I was thinking does 1 of GArdiner or JVR plus the 2017 unprotected 1st (most likely top 5 pick) land one.
I am thinking guys like Shattenkirk, Faulk, Carlsson, Brodie, LIndholm, Risto etc level guys.

Now I understand a rebuilding team should keep their likely high 1st but I am curious if any other fanbase would make a deal?
I also understand that logically we are best served by keeping the pick due to there being 3 top end D prospects projected in the top 5

That's the kind of package I hope management offers on draft day to move up for Liljegren. Add some mid round picks if needed. He fits the timeline and is that key piece.

Not interested in trading for a defensemen that isn't cost controlled long term like our unprotected first though.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Not trading Gardiner.
Gardiner can carry his own pairing at 5v5, easily on 2nd pairing.
If we're looking for a RHD partner for Rielly at this point of the rebuild it's through the draft/expansion draft trades/UFA/etc. Don't care how 'hard' it is to acquire a top pairing RHD, there's numerous ways to get one and we're in no rush to get one as of now.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Not trading Gardiner.
Gardiner can carry his own pairing at 5v5, easily on 2nd pairing.
If we're looking for a RHD partner for Rielly at this point of the rebuild it's through the draft/expansion draft trades/UFA/etc. Don't care how 'hard' it is to acquire a top pairing RHD, there's numerous ways to get one and we're in no rush to get one as of now.

Agreed.

Gardiner is our best d-man right now and should be untouchable.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Delete.

matthardybroken.png

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Trading an unprotected 1st that could be in the lottery doesnt make a ton of sense for a team rebuilding (Leafs)

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Yeah... no. The guys that were listed (set aside shatty) aren't avail for that offer. Also, the leafs should strongly hesitate to trade any 1st Rd picks until they are almost certain to make the playoffs. A top 5 pick (I personally think they'll be top 10) could potentially slot into the lineup anyways. Given where toronto is right now, I'd never trade an unprotected 1st- see Tom kurvers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad