Proposal: Gardiner/JVR+2017 unprotected 1st

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mad Brills*

wrong.

Lindholm is a top 5 dman

matthews could be a top 5 centreman.

See the difference?

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
This is really for leafs fans. Why does it seem as though I see JVR's name popping up a lot in trade rumors that seem to be started by leaf fans. Does he fit in with the future of Toronto?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Sorry but that's most likely what it's going to take to get Lindholm out of Anaheim is Matthews. If this guy thinks that a deal based around JVR/Gardiner+2017 1st round pick possibly top 5 is going to get you Lindholm then he's sorely mistaken. No way does Ducks GM Bob Murray move Lindholm to Toronto without Matthews coming back.

Is Lindholm worth Kopitar? Because that's what a lot of people believe Matthews will be in a few short years...

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
i dont even want to deal jvr, i polled our board BEFORE we got matthews, and most people didnt want to trade him unless there was a solid offer, so its quite dumb to see people throwing him around in trade threads.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
It's gonna be pretty much impossible to trade for a #1 Young RHD without purging your young super stars. Teams just do not trade them with how hard they are to acquire. You're gonna have to draft one.

Ah-hem.......

:habs

:cry:

i dont even want to deal jvr, i polled our board BEFORE we got matthews, and most people didnt want to trade him unless there was a solid offer, so its quite dumb to see people throwing him around in trade threads.

Considering he only has 2 years left on his contract, is 27/28, and TO is rebuilding and won't be contenders for a few more years, it makes perfect logical sense to trade JVR to a contending team now, while he still has some value on the market, as he won't fit into your group when its ready to contend.
Problem is most teams won't value him as highly as Leafs fans because he only has 2 years on his contract. That lowers his return, unless there is a guarantee of him re-signing or if he is already signed long term prior to the trade.
If he is traded without an extension already in place, I think most TO fans will be surprised and disappointed at the return.

Last edited:

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Not a good idea even in a 'meh' situation, especially with the effort the Leafs are putting into drafting and developing talent.

Oh, I'm not trading the first for some fringy RHD. But taking it off the table is silly considering the state of the talent in next year's draft.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
These type of proposals / trades got Toronto in this mess to begin with.

Tor keeps JVR, Gardner and top 10 pick

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
OK we need a high end RHD D-man but we don't have the Hall type player to get one so I was thinking does 1 of GArdiner or JVR plus the 2017 unprotected 1st (most likely top 5 pick) land one.
I am thinking guys like Shattenkirk, Faulk, Carlsson, Brodie, LIndholm, Risto etc level guys.

Now I understand a rebuilding team should keep their likely high 1st but I am curious if any other fanbase would make a deal?
I also understand that logically we are best served by keeping the pick due to there being 3 top end D prospects projected in the top 5

**** off. Never again.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ah-hem.......

Considering he only has 2 years left on his contract, is 27/28, and TO is rebuilding and won't be contenders for a few more years, it makes perfect logical sense to trade JVR to a contending team now, while he still has some value on the market, as he won't fit into your group when its ready to contend.
Problem is most teams won't value him as highly as Leafs fans because he only has 2 years on his contract. That lowers his return, unless there is a guarantee of him re-signing or if he is already signed long term prior to the trade.
If he is traded without an extension already in place, I think most TO fans will be surprised and disappointed at the return.

jaden Schwartz just signed for 5.3 ish just recently and is a better player im not worried about term or $. And the way jvr plays and can skate like the wind i have no doubt he can play till his mid late 30's.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
This is really for leafs fans. Why does it seem as though I see JVR's name popping up a lot in trade rumors that seem to be started by leaf fans. Does he fit in with the future of Toronto?

We're split. A few of us think he should be re-signed for a reasonable price. A few think he'll be too expensive and too old when his contract is up. I'm the former. I'm not completely against trading JVR, but given our weakness at our LW depth, it'd have to be for quite the player or package for me to want to trade him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Is Lindholm worth Kopitar? Because that's what a lot of people believe Matthews will be in a few short years...

It doesn't matter what their perceived values look like in a bubble. You don't move a defenseman of Lindholm's ability and potential for any realistic offer. Saying that Matthews is the only deal that would work for Anaheim isn't suggesting that the Leafs would ever do it, it wasn't a proposal.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ah-hem.......

nah we will just sign him up for 6 years, 6 million per.
we should have barrels of money with laich,greening,robidas,lupul, bozak etc giving us an additional 20M in cap space and no one to sign besides JVR/Willie

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
What part of full rebuild with no shortcuts is difficult to understand? We're not trading away an unprotected 1st round pick when chances are it's a top 5. That is the dumbest thing a team in year #2 of a full rebuild could do. We're building through the draft the proper way, just accept it and be patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad