GDT: Game 76: Columbus at Philadelphia | 4/3 7PM EDT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Comeau keeps generating some nice chances on the break but he never seems to be able to finish. I'd keep him in, though.

I'd like to keep him too. Defensively he's golden, and he's cheap and scratchable too. And Scott Cullen says he's just unlucky this year, and should rebound his scoring some.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
If we lost to CHI in REG tomorrow we lose 8.1%, so basically everything we gained with a win tonight go be gone if we lose in regulation tomorrow. If we win it goes up 6%. If we lose in OT or SO our odds still go up.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If we lost to CHI in REG tomorrow we lose 8.1%, so basically everything we gained with a win tonight go be gone if we lose in regulation tomorrow. If we win it goes up 6%. If we lose in OT or SO our odds still go up.

One point tomorrow would be huge. We can get two if Bob starts.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Wasn't able to watch any of the game and haven't read a single GDT post yet. Just want to say, what a big win. Very proud of the team for going into Philly and shutting out a hot team. Makes my night!

Now excuse me while I do a lil' readin

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

And we'll have almost a 1% chance of winning the Cup! #soyouresayingtheresachance

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Just did a quick check. Of our remaining games

CHI played last night, as did we, so we should be on neutral energy

The Isles will be playing the Caps the day before we play them, so we should have more energy.

Phoenix will have a few days off before we play them, so they should have more energy but they also travel and we have a day off before we play them. So not too much.

The next day we play Dallas in their home, but they will also be playing a game vs Nashville when we play PHX. So both of us will be playing each other on the later end of a B2B and should be neutral energy and we will be up 1-0.

Tampa Bay will play Philly the day before we play them, so we should have more energy.

Florida will not be playing a game the day before we play them.

So, of our remaining games. Only Phoenix and Florida aren't playing on a back-to-back. So our energy level should be on par with every other team we play or possibly even more.

Just wanted to post this here too. Our season ending schedule isn't as tough as it could be.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
IMO, Mason belongs in the same camp as Carter - someone who didn't outright demand a trade, but hurt us in a far worse way - letting their on-ice malaise become such an issue that we're forced to move them. Again, I'm not mad that we got Bobrovsky as an indirect result, but still hate that we wasted time with a malcontent headcase in goal for way too many games.

If I forget to come back to this, just want to say I disagree. The talent IS there; the organization's fault for not being able to harness it. He was (is) a kid. I root for him.

nhldiedinthe90s*

who farted lol
Sep 23, 2013
If I forget to come back to this, just want to say I disagree. The talent IS there; the organization's fault for not being able to harness it. He was (is) a kid. I root for him.

F that. Guy' is a millionaire many times over for playing a silly game of bounces. He can retire at 25 and live a spectacular lifestyle.

With that comes huge expectations. He didn't bring it on a consistent basis. That's weak sauce and reason to root against him from where I'm sitting. Hate is different but root against him? hell yeah. He'll remember our Columbus paychecks when he's driving a Ferrari at 40 after not working for 10 years.

Hockey is essentially a man-child's game in truth. Age changes little IMO. An 18 year old can understand that X million a year is kind of a big deal and you have your head on straight for 82 nights a year.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

To be kind, I think that's inaccurate. To be more blunt, I think it's a load of crap.

The organization bent over backwards for Mason. He had a year without a goalie coach, he had a year with a different goalie coach, he had a year with his hand-picked goalie coach. He had two years with an experienced starter right next to him, he had a partial year with an undersized scrapper next to him, he had a year where he was more or less handed the job. He had different head coaches, different personalities, different players in front of him, different styles in front of him. And yet nothing worked. The lowest common denominator in Mason's extended struggles is Steve Mason.

There's a situation I'm reminded of, although it's not really comparable because there are so many differences. But there are a couple of great quotes. When the late Earl Weaver was having a public feud with Mike Cuellar (who'd been pulled early from several games), Cuellar complained about getting the hook early. Weaver said, "I've given Mike more chances than I gave my first wife." And during one of several public feuds with Jim Palmer, Palmer made an unkind comment about Weaver's playing career. Weaver fired back with, "Jim wants me to change everything around him. His problem is that the only thing that I can't change is his ****ing diaper."

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Hell of a game. I thought we played through some rough officiating. Big credit to the PK unit, and Bob for this win. The whole team is delivering right now, but a few guys are standing out.

Calvert
Wiz
Bob
Comeau

These guys are huge for this team right now.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
F that. Guy' is a millionaire many times over for playing a silly game of bounces. He can retire at 25 and live a spectacular lifestyle.

With that comes huge expectations. He didn't bring it on a consistent basis. That's weak sauce and reason to root against him from where I'm sitting. Hate is different but root against him? hell yeah. He'll remember our Columbus paychecks when he's driving a Ferrari at 40 after not working for 10 years.

Hockey is essentially a man-child's game in truth. Age changes little IMO. An 18 year old can understand that X million a year is kind of a big deal and you have your head on straight for 82 nights a year.

I don't understand what his salary had to with anything. He's a professional athlete, they make a decent living. Your argument is that he made a lot of money so he should have played better, and since he didn't then F him. And that's about all you're saying. I don't think an 18 year old is in the same headspace as a 27 or 25 or even 23 year old when it comes to the business side of things.

It's a cliche that players can rushed and consequently spoil promising potential, which means it does happen. Mason was that path, I think, and managed to so far avoid by changing teams in a trade he didn't request. I have no reason to dislike him.

To be kind, I think that's inaccurate. To be more blunt, I think it's a load of crap.

The organization bent over backwards for Mason. He had a year without a goalie coach, he had a year with a different goalie coach, he had a year with his hand-picked goalie coach. He had two years with an experienced starter right next to him, he had a partial year with an undersized scrapper next to him, he had a year where he was more or less handed the job. He had different head coaches, different personalities, different players in front of him, different styles in front of him. And yet nothing worked. The lowest common denominator in Mason's extended struggles is Steve Mason.

To me, you've just articulated a profoundly unstable period of time for a young kid on an already challenged squad.

He ended up sucking while he was here (after winning a major award for the team and leading us to our first playoff berth), but I don't get why that means we have to vilify the guy. But that's just me.

Anyway, great win!!!

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Hell of a game. I thought we played through some rough officiating. Big credit to the PK unit, and Bob for this win. The whole team is delivering right now, but a few guys are standing out.

Calvert
Wiz
Bob
Comeau

Those guys jumped out for me too.

muleskinner2013

Oct 17, 2013

Calvert
Wiz
Bob
Comeau

Man, Calvert has been one of my favorite players the last two years. The guy is an unsung hero, and the best thing is he's one of the youngsters! The guy knows his role and plays his ass off every game. I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more on these boards.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
Wiz has been our best defensemen since Murray has gone out IMO.

Not even close, is it?

Awesome game! Thought we played through a couple junk calls and that glaring non-call in the 1st period.

Beat the Blackhawks and let's be Bruins fans tomorrow -- no way they're gonna be happy after losing a couple they know they should've won to seal the 1 seed.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Man, Calvert has been one of my favorite players the last two years. The guy is an unsung hero, and the best thing is he's one of the youngsters! The guy knows his role and plays his ass off every game. I'm surprised he isn't mentioned more on these boards.

He as good a forechecker as we have, and that creates alot of space for his linemates. A true 3rd line player imo.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Philly Daily News takes jab at Columbus:laugh:

BY THE TIME Steve Mason shuffled to the bench for an extra attacker, thousands of empty burgundy seats checkered the backdrop of the Flyers' third loss in a row.

Last night, the Wells Fargo Center might as well have been Columbus, or Florida, or any other struggling hockey market - fans streaming for the exits with minutes to play and no hope of another brilliant comeback.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...ss_game_costs_Flyers.html#hSXdMKv8k1yZ8DgZ.99

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
They can take all the jabs they want. We dominated them on their home ice, smells of sour grapes to me. Love how they are trying to paint Mason as a victim during his time here and the mighty Flyers came in and saved him. BITE ME PHILLY.

But, but we saved Bob, right? Haha. Bob stays classy, as always. No such quotes from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad