Post-Game Talk: Game 66: Caps win in OT 2-1 - We're on to Florida

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I told a Caps fan if the Krug call was the right call then the ref didn't know the rule and apply it correctly against Philly way back.

He proceeded to say that he did know the rule and said "have you ever known the answer to a question on a quiz and then write down another answer?" as his argument. Uhhhhhhh no....like bro if I knew the answer I would kinda try and put it down....

What planet am I on guys? This is madness. I'm so shook tbh

Caps fans need their outrageous siren and flashing lights to know when to cheer. Enough said. :P

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I'll take 3 out of 4 from the top 2 teams in the NHL. Game was very playoff like tonight. Some things I took away.

GOOD:
-Rask was solid again
-Acciari is slotting into the 4th line nicely, liked his physicality. Also 60% on the dot
-The new 4th line in general
-Chara was tossing people around
-Pastrnak continues his strong play
-McQuaid feeding Wilson
-Stempniak is a huge upgrade on Bergys wing
-Liles has been surprising

NOT SO GOOD:
-Refs. They were awful for both sides

BAD:
-The powerplay continues to be miserable
-Krejci floating again
-Got a lot of doorstep chances and didn't bury any of them
-Chara playing 3 on 3. Why, Claude?

Last edited:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Three observations from tonight's game:

1. Love me some Ovi (sorry guys) but the fact that he wasn't ejected for that hit is complete and utter ********. It's also ******** that the team didn't respond to it.
2. I've got no words on the reffing. The incompetence on both sides was stunning.
3. Krejci's laziness is getting real ****ing annoying.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Sportsnet blaming Miller on that Ovie hit...said he turned last second

No he didn't...

That's blatant BS. Smoking gun example of BS. His numbers were turned when Ovie was 10 feet away. That's the thing, it's impossible to argue confusion on that hit, the numbers were showing before he even approached. He was never not facing the boards.

Outside of saying Ovie wasn't ejected because he's Ovie, which...yeah, totally possible...I think it was because it was a soft looking hit.

Of course, the whole idea is that you are vulnerable facing away from the opposing player and into the boards...it doesn't have to be hard to lose your balance and cause injury. But he gets the benefit of the doubt...wish we could get that once.

But I can't be surprised. We've seen a different standard for many things. It's what this league does.

Overall...thrilled with 3 out of 4 points against the Hawks and Caps.

But, wow, can't believe I'm saying this after the months of tough times with Miller - we can't lose him. The depth is not just not good...it's non existent.

Trotman is just...oh man, not good.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

1. Love me some Ovi (sorry guys) but the fact that he wasn't ejected for that hit is complete and utter ********. It's also ******** that the team didn't respond to it.
2. I've got no words on the reffing. The incompetence on both sides was stunning.

I too generally like Ovechkin, especially compared to Crosby... but he is a very dirty player at times. Scary sometimes.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I like ovechkin but someone should have done something. lucic was pretty useless towards the end but he would have at least suckered him.

I really..really.......really DON"T like backstabber Ovechkin.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Hilarious....Ovi took a couple good strides AFTER Miller turned. Any guy who's not a "name" player gets a game misconduct along with that major.

Actually don't mind Kypreos but he was the one that started it...Miller turned well before Ovie hit him...They said Ovie had no chance to reverse his hit...

Unbelievable pile of BS...but it's Ovie...

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Really proud of the Bs tonight. They went up against the best team in the NHL and played well enough to win. Pretty cool that the new faces on the teams are having a positive impact. It was a beautiful sight to see Orpik get rocked. Really frustrating that the refs put on a complete **** show yet again. I don't know how coaches keep their sanity with the clowns in stripes being so utterly inconsistent and just plain incompetent so often. The NHL needs to rethink the replay system. Nobody even knows what goalie interference is any more, or what is inconclusive when it comes to offsides plays. Might as well flip a coin. The standard seems to change game to game. In any case, Bs are showing us something as of late against great teams. Hope they continue the trend. Fun stuff.

BigChara33*

Orpik should be suspended for his dive on the hit by pastrnak. Boarded by a kid 160 lbs who pulled up. He literally felt the contact and dove into the boards.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
Ouch. Hope Miller will be okay.

Good effort and we got a point, could have been worse. Rask did let in a softie, but every goalie does that from time to time and he was great for most of the game.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
When a team lets a team mate get plowed from behind and has 2 full periods to equal the score and does nothing.I HAVE ISSUE WITH IT.Forget 2 pts .he should have been dealt with..period.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Win or lose.How do look in mirror brushing your teethe knowing u let your buddy take dirty hit? THIS TEAM MAKES ME SICK.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
they went after him, hell a Caps fan was calling for Marchand to get 5 and 10 :laugh:

It was a winnable game, they had already taken a penalty over that skirmish....no need to jeopardize the chances of winning further

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
The frustration is still lingering. During the game I wanted a response against Ovi, but in retrospect, how do you even do it? He's fast, he's huge - no one can even get near him, and if you do then you bounce off him. That's the most annoying part.

I just hope we answer by ripping the Panthers a new one.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Point is not that bad after all, come on guys, 3 points against Chi & Caps, i take that with a big smile, despite what was going on during last game (best wishes to Miller). Disappointed someone didn't punch Ovi or at least make him scared, he was all too comfortable in our zone.

PP was the key to success, didn't work this time, few frustrating mistakes.

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
The frustration is still lingering. During the game I wanted a response against Ovi, but in retrospect, how do you even do it? He's fast, he's huge - no one can even get near him, and if you do then you bounce off him. That's the most annoying part.

I just hope we answer by ripping the Panthers a new one.

Bergeron, of all people, leveled him a few times in the past.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This team needs someone (besides McQuaid) who is able to make an opponent answer the bell for stuff like Ovechkin did. We are no longer tough to play against from that point of view. This needs to be addressed.

That said, great game by the boys. What a difference from the team before the TDL. Let's hope they can keep it up. The Capitals are lucky to have gotten two points last night.
And for the record, I am sick and tired of this coach challenge. Either eliminate it altogether or limit the possibility of reviewing plays to what happens in or around the crease.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

he made a number of good passes that could have been buried on the PP.

ya he had a rough. game. 50 points in 55 games, chill out!!! You Bruin fans would nail a player to the wall if he put in skates on too slow. Looks like the mob is against Krejci today, just like Sweeney last week

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Bergeron, of all people, leveled him a few times in the past.

And it was great. :D it's funny because he is not built like a big hitter, and that's not the main part of his game, but he definitely has that club in his bag. He understands the science of it. They say he is "sneaky strong" on faceoffs, that also applies to hitting.

I think the Bruins were more concerned about the two points than revenge on Ovechkin, and probably had they done something, they would have ended up penalized for it. But if I was told last week we'd get three points out of these two games, I'd have been surprised, so I'll take it.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That may be true, but I think this coach's challenge is way out of hand. There were some obvious missed calls in the past - one against the Habs in the playoffs vs. Tampa IIRC? - that needed to be addressed.

But for all the complaints about coaches micromanaging games, we are now micro-refereeing games, over things that happen so fast they are missed in real time, and in many instances have little to no bearing on the result.

I know, rules are rules, but just imagine how many of these 'toenail was offside' calls were allowed in the past, and the game was OK.

For a league searching for ways to increase scoring, taking points off the board over these infractions is not helping; not to mention how much the flow of the game - one of my favorite aspects of hockey - is destroyed.

In fact, I've suspected refs are now blowing offside almost in a preventive manner - I've seen lots of incredulous players when the whistle blows, but of course there's no point in reviewing it the other way.

Aside from that, I'm happy they got the loser point at least.

This. It just kills me how they are taking good goals off the board by slight technicalities, especially when most of the time they can't get it right. For all of history, offsides was an official's split second judgement, and now it's taking good, exciting hockey plays and goals off the board. Years ago, they had skate in the blue paint, and goals disallowed off the skate. Those were taken away to allow more scoring, but now? Less goals? Less good goals? Crazy. And the system to do it is so stupid. Coach's challenge, only if they have a timeout and once per game?

It's the same thing the NFL has done which has made the game completely controlled by the refs and unwatchable. As you said, refs are changing the way they call the game because of it, and it will only get worse.

If they are so worried about it, but it in Toronto's hands, like the rest of the reviewed goals, only if it is egregious (the actual reasoning behind the review system in the first place). They had the best replay system in sports, and now they are ruining it on stupid technicalities, and ridiculously inconsistent rulings.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
he made a number of good passes that could have been buried on the PP.

ya he had a rough. game. 50 points in 55 games, chill out!!! You Bruin fans would nail a player to the wall if he put in skates on too slow. Looks like the mob is against Krejci today, just like Sweeney last week

Well, I'm not gonna drag this out but there are times where he's just awful, and a little "would go a long way" in his case.
There were some plays last night where his effort left you scratching your head.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really..really.......really DON"T like backstabber Ovechkin.

Not sure Miller`s body position ever changed, ludicrous hit and the B`s didn`t respond because this league is so backwards that had they responded, we`d have seen a B get bounced for the game

Orpik essentially looking Pasta in the eyes then turning was a classic BS move too many these days use to draw a penalty. It happens so much these days that the league needs to look at penalizing players for putting themselves into these positions to draw penalties. Not sure players are learning these days how to absorb hits like I was taught way back when, now they see an opportunity to put their team on a PP by putting themselves in a harmful position....absolutely foolish

Feel bad for our boys, good effort, BS off-side call/rule, have a gut feeling had that goal stood, were talking a different outcome but nonetheless, 5 PP`s, plenty of chances to end this game in regulation

3/4pts from two of the best though.....yes please

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This. It just kills me how they are taking good goals off the board by slight technicalities, especially when most of the time they can't get it right. For all of history, offsides was an official's split second judgement, and now it's taking good, exciting hockey plays and goals off the board. Years ago, they had skate in the blue paint, and goals disallowed off the skate. Those were taken away to allow more scoring, but now? Less goals? Less good goals? Crazy. And the system to do it is so stupid. Coach's challenge, only if they have a timeout and once per game?

It's the same thing the NFL has done which has made the game completely controlled by the refs and unwatchable. As you said, refs are changing the way they call the game because of it, and it will only get worse.

If they are so worried about it, but it in Toronto's hands, like the rest of the reviewed goals, only if it is egregious (the actual reasoning behind the review system in the first place). They had the best replay system in sports, and now they are ruining it on stupid technicalities, and ridiculously inconsistent rulings.

Jack/Brick showed an almost identical play on a goal by the Flyers which counted. This rule is so foolish and if anything, for a league that wants the game to be faster, they need to cut out some of these silly delays over a bloody skate on the ice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad