Draisatl's future in Edmonton

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
"Figure out what I want"

Would be a lot simpler for him to just say "I want to be in Edmonton" wouldn't it?

Reads to me like yeah I'll stay for 15m AAV or I'll go to Boston or San Jose and get that money.
My guess is he wants to be sure that McDavid is planning on sticking around before making a commitment one way or the other. The Oilers could have some pretty lean years if McDavid decides to walk - it might not be the best place to play for a player who will be trying to win a championship in the back half of his career.

tabness

will play for 4 million 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Drai sucked so badly in the finals it was the first time it made sense that Darnell Nurse is paid more than him

Reactions: Voight

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
1 year x $16 million

Then he can decide together with McDavid what their future plans will be next season. Otherwise, there's too much risk if he signs long term and McDavid leaves

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
My guess is he wants to be sure that McDavid is planning on sticking around before making a commitment one way or the other. The Oilers could have some pretty lean years if McDavid decides to walk - it might not be the best place to play for a player who will be trying to win a championship in the back half of his career.

This is all there is to it. Hes not leaving the golden goose but hes not going to stay if said goose is getting the hell out of dodge.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Huh???

Folks here thought he was OVERPAID in that contract. I'm sure half of you were screaming at the stupidity of Chia for signing him to such an outrageous contract.
More than half. It was universally panned as an overpay when signed. And that narrative continued for years as dumbasses couldn’t see how good Drai actually was.

Drai didn’t do a favor for the Oilers at the time of signing. Only in hindsight did it become an underpay and he continued to develop into a superstar player, that only oilers fans could have seen happening.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is all there is to it. Hes not leaving the golden goose but hes not going to stay if said goose is getting the hell out of dodge.
Though he could demand a trade out, it is very hard to figure out $14 mill or whatever the number is of cap space for like 7-8 more years between 2 teams for a trade. Plus, with NTC would be hard to even up the players going the other way.

So, would not be easy to get out or to a place he truly wants should he sign for max term and then McDavid doesn't stick around.

Way easier to facilitate a trade this off-season with just 1 season left.

Or, something crazy and he extends 1 year to match Connor so that he's not left there.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Either way it hurts the oilers

He leaves then his buddy leaves as well

He stays and becomes overpaid and someone who can't handle the grind of the playoffs

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Not much to think about. They're the two most offensively gifted centres in the NHL. The Pens held on to Crosby and Malkin. If they can, Edmonton should lock him up.

This all day. The Pens were always a flawed roster even when they were winning, but they had that edge that nobody else had. The 1-2 punch. In a cap era, this is what separates the Oilers from everyone else. This is why they can reach a final. This is why they might win the next time.

Take one of them out, and it is over. Full-stop.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Drai sucked so badly in the finals it was the first time it made sense that Darnell Nurse is paid more than him

Either way it hurts the oilers

He leaves then his buddy leaves as well

He stays and becomes overpaid and someone who can't handle the grind of the playoffs

This is hilarious.

Leon Draisaitl has one of the highest career playoff scoring rates OF ALL TIME.

He had a broken rib and broken finger this playoffs and still put up decent totals.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
This is hilarious.

Leon Draisaitl has one of the highest career playoff scoring rates OF ALL TIME.

He had a broken rib and broken finger this playoffs and still put up decent totals.
Bros been injured pretty much every playoff run

Guys body is disintegrating and it's only gonna get worse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bros been injured pretty much every playoff run

Guys body is disintegrating and it's only gonna get worse

He has been injured and still scores at an all time rate. That's a player I want on my team, because any of them can get injured in the playoffs, I want someone who is as good as Draisaitl is with a broken rib.

This is very very thinly veiled Canucks fans cope. You can't even form a half-decent argument.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
The good news is that the salary cap is probably going to be 90+ mil in 2025. If they can dump Evander Kane and Jack Campbell then they have more than enough money to sign Draisaitl to a 13-14 mil a year deal.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
He has been injured and still scores at an all time rate. That's a player I want on my team, because any of them can get injured in the playoffs, I want someone who is as good as Draisaitl is with a broken rib.

This is very very thinly veiled Canucks fans cope. You can't even form a half-decent argument.
McDavid ain't gonna be around for him to leech off forever

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Not much to think about. They're the two most offensively gifted centres in the NHL. The Pens held on to Crosby and Malkin. If they can, Edmonton should lock him up.

It helped that Crosby was so married to the number 87 that he took exactly 8.7M for a million years. Not the case with McDavid and Drai. One guy might be making 16-17 M, the other one a tad less. Yes, they are worth it technically, but how do you win with only 2 guys? You can't, no matter how good they are.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
it’s a rough spot to be in for the oilers and Drai, implications of him not signing could shake up the whole team and how do you attempt to make the team better without knowing how much you’re going to have to drop on him.

But fortunately they have another shot at the cup either way because he and mcdavid are the best players in the NHL

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I'll go against the grain of most Oiler fans and say the team should seriously look at dealing him. He's got a lot of miles on his frame and his best days are inching closer and closer to being behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad