Prospect Info: 2024 7th OA : Carter Yakemchuk (RHD)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Senovision

May 23, 2011
What is the likelihood that Yak plays for Team Canada at the upcoming WJC in Ottawa?

In looking at a couple of articles, it mentions that Bonk is the only returning D from the last WJC.
Then goes on to include Yak amongst Parekh, Dickinson, Dragicevic & Molendyk as possible options for this year's team. If that is the case, it will be interesting to see how he compares to Parekh & Dickinson in the tourney.

I like the pick. I had the feeling that if Iginla was off the board, they were definitely going with a RHD. So, it came down to Parekh v Yak.

Yak certainly seems to be more of what they were looking for:
- Size
- Skill
- Physical
- 2-Way
- Shot

From the interview with Staois, he referenced the term 'raw' when describing Yak, which tells me that they think there is the ability to work out his deficiencies (pivots, positioning, backward skating) and that he is a few years away.
Yes i saw those articles as well. I wonder who the coach and GM will be? Have we heard yet?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I have some reservations about this guy but I also had reservations about each one of the other four defenseman under consideration. There was also a lot to love about all of them. I'm going to trust Staois on this one.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Like so many other things about the Senators and the new organization, I think I will just wait to reserve judgement.

Its interesting that 4 of the defenders that were generally ranked inside the top 10 went after our pick from 9th to 12th overall. I can see the controversy burning for many years now and Senator fans will follow and endlessly compare our pick to Parekh, Silayev, Dickinson & Buium.

I personally liked Silayev and Parekh because they reminded me of Chara and Karlsson, but I don’t think reading a few reports and seeing highlight reels make me any kind of expert.

I think the Sharks did really well in this draft. When you add Celenbrini and Dickinson to Smith, you are off to great start. Same idea with the Hawks adding Levshunov to Bedard.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That kind of thinking gets you JBD and Thomson.

Pick the guy you think is BPA, from Staios' comments, sounds like we thought Yak was BPA by a wide margin
Obviously our scouts valued some traits higher than others. I'm thinking Size, Righty, Nasty/Physicality, Skills

If rank the D with those attributes in mind as important .. He comes out on top

As always BPA is what you think is BPA according to what you value highest.. not a universal thing.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Could have had either Dickenson or Parekh - both way better defencemen. Saw Parekh play live here in Ottawa and then watched him in the Mem Cup - this guy is going to be a stud.
Dickinson has a low ceiling and plays the left side. If you draft him you're basically aiming to get a 3rd pairing dman with the 7th overall, because there's no chance in hell he ever plays over Chabot or Sanderson.

Parekh will get absolutely bullied at the NHL. He already gets manhandled at times in the OHL, his lack of strength and speed will get him into issues in the NHL. Parekh also doesn't even skate the pick up the ice that much, so what are you even getting with him? A small dman who gets pushed around in his own end, can't breakout the puck on his own, but will be awesome on the PP? Real exciting.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Obviously our scouts valued some traits higher than others. I'm thinking Size, Righty, Nasty/Physicality, Skills

If rank the D with those attributes in mind as important .. He comes out on top
There's been a lot of talk about wanting big, long D lately, as well as having D that can join the offense.

I have concerns with Yak but that's true of a lot of prospects so pick your poison.

I find there's mixed opinions on his skating, the one positive on that front is there is room to improve his technique I guess...

Reactions: Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I found what Minnesota did was very interesting.

The Minnesota Wild acquired the No. 12 pick from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for the No. 13 pick and a third-round pick in the 2025 NHL Entry Draft. At No. 12, the Wild would select defenseman Zeev Buium from the University of Denver. So that’s a move that will merit some follow up.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I found what Minnesota did was very interesting.

The Minnesota Wild acquired the No. 12 pick from the Philadelphia Flyers in exchange for the No. 13 pick and a third-round pick in the 2025 NHL Entry Draft. At No. 12, the Wild would select defenseman Zeev Buium from the University of Denver. So that’s a move that will merit some follow up.
The only thing that makes sense to me is they were worried someone else was going to trade up with Philly to grab Buium.

Reactions: DrEasy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Dickinson has a low ceiling and plays the left side. If you draft him you're basically aiming to get a 3rd pairing dman with the 7th overall, because there's no chance in hell he ever plays over Chabot or Sanderson.

Parekh will get absolutely bullied at the NHL. He already gets manhandled at times in the OHL, his lack of strength and speed will get him into issues in the NHL. Parekh also doesn't even skate the pick up the ice that much, so what are you even getting with him? A small dman who gets pushed around in his own end, can't breakout the puck on his own, but will be awesome on the PP? Real exciting.
Re: bolded

If depends on whether you are looking at things through the lens of the current prism or the prism of the future. Dickinson could be our #2 LD and Chabot not even on team 4 (or 5) years from now.

The only thing that makes sense to me is they were worried someone else was going to trade up with Philly to grab Buium.
It could be that. The Wild were certainly determined to get their guy.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Re: bolded

If depends on whether you are looking at things through the lens of the current prism or the prism of the future. Dickinson could be our #2 LD and Chabot not even on team 4 (or 5) years from now.
By the time this year's crop of D picks are ready for top 4 roles, both Chabot and Zub could be gone, having depth to backfill is important, you look at TBL trading Drouin for Sergachev when they already had Hedman and McDonaugh for example.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014

Pick the guy you think is BPA, from Staios' comments, sounds like we thought Yak was BPA by a wide margin
With the rumour they almost went with Beaudoin and took Yak I think they were targeting toughness and grit more than pure BPA because Staios identified that particular weakness on his team
Yak might have been their BPA but Beaudoin wasn't for sure at 7

Anyway I think they hit pretty good with Yak

Senovision

May 23, 2011

I watched Parekh in the Championship game and he got clobbered by Landon Sim with an illegal hit to the head. After the hit he left the game and came back but he was not noticeable in that game. ( i think Parekh was injured but still played) Dickinson was better in that one game and it wasn't even close.
But I agree Parekh will get targeted by bigger physical players in the NHL and that will be a challenge for him in a bigger faster league.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
There's been a lot of talk about wanting big, long D lately, as well as having D that can join the offense.

I have concerns with Yak but that's true of a lot of prospects so pick your poison.

I find there's mixed opinions on his skating, the one positive on that front is there is room to improve his technique I guess...
I would have given up some flash and dash offensively to draft a D that's defense and skating combo projects higher than the others in the top 6.
Silayev would have been my guy. .. Listening to the Hockey Prospect scout Brad Allen describe the deficiencies in his skating and overcoming that gives me enough pause to identify it as a risk. I am sure our scouts identified as an area to improve and liked what they liked more than worrying about it.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I mean, that would have been true of Silayev, Buium, Parekh, Dickenson and probably Jiricek or Solberg too.
In the Senators mind I doubt that but externally on lists sure. They were incredibly high on Chabot. At the time of drafting Sens clearly had Chabot well into their top 10 in one of the best drafts in years.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Is it possible to ask him to go to the NCAA? He needs good coaching to correct some of his deficiencies. I don't think that will happed in the WHL, where he's freewheeling and dangling all day.

R2010

May 23, 2011

In terms of Thomson, I think they went with BPA on their own list. There were scouts who had him very high on some teams. But I think based on their comments at the time he was probably close to the bottom of their hopes for that spot. Clearly their list was off but I remember thinking at the time that how the draft unfolded it seemed the sens went to plan b.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With the rumour they almost went with Beaudoin and took Yak I think they were targeting toughness and grit more than pure BPA because Staios identified that particular weakness on his team
Yak might have been their BPA but Beaudoin wasn't for sure at 7

Anyway I think they hit pretty good with Yak
Well, don Boyd pretty much said the opposite, stating they go with their list. The rumour you're referencing stated themselves he wasn't confident in it, sounds more like that was the target at 25 had we kept the pick to me. Had they traded down (for example as a means to dump Korpisalo) maybe they are considering Beaudoin in the 12-15 range, but again, that could easily be their BPA in that range depending on how the draft played out. He was ranked 23rd in Mackenzies list in a year with very little consensus once you got out of the first half.

Reactions: Alex1234

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1