GDT: Game 62: Washington @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Can't win them all with those absolute defensive breakdowns. Add in a lucky bounce here and there, and it's just impossible.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
If a penalty is called against WSH before the whistle and we shoot the puck and it somehow deflects off one of our players and goes into our empty net does it count a goal for WSH?

or if someone passes it from behind the net into our empty net?

Asking because that might be the next logical thing to happen beyond a meteor crashing through the roof or the Spanish inquisition showing up.
Yes. Usually it’s a (blind) pass that ends in the own empty net but it definitely does happen and does count.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
O.K. Two own goals, Zach falling down when we had the empty net, two Korpi mistakes, yes, even Mantha's first goal because he didn't have enough time to set up his shot, maybe Kuznetsov's goal too (I don't blame anyone, the reason why not Korpi I wrote, I'm only talking about stats now). That's minimum 4 useless goals. We lost this game to ourselves. But... strong teams don't such many similar mistakes in one game. It's a part or learning I think. Now we must fight, all can be.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The Caps forced us to play faster than we were able. Everything felt like breakneck speed. Maybe it doesn’t work as well if we’re not on back-to-back. But that’s what it looked like to me, and the helter skelter could have contributed to the gaffes. (Although some of them were just gaffes.)

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Because it was a day to day game. I really don't know who will play against St. Louis.

Not even a question, of course it's going to be Elvis. His play has been strong the last few games.

Elvis is our backup goalie. Tarsov or somebody other than Korpi is the starter.

Oh geez, come on......Elvis is our #1, just accept it. Even if you don't like it.

Reactions: majormajor and LJ7

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
CBJ is 32nd in xGA. Elvis Merzlikins is 22-15-3 in his starts. He's not the problem.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Not even a question, of course it's going to be Elvis. His play has been strong the last few games.
Elvis played with Vegas and Ottawa, he'll be with St. Louis tomorrow. That's why he needed to rest. And nobody waited he'll play similar way.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
CBJ is 32nd in xGA. Elvis Merzlikins is 22-15-3 in his starts. He's not the problem

The 32nd in xGA is horrendous but not surprising. I'm not sure Elvis' advanced stats are much above average in terms of expected saves, but it's hard not to agree in large part with your conclusion. Elvis isn't the problem - the question remains though: Is he the answer in the long-term? Remains to be seen.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Elvis is part of the problem. The Ottawa backup whose name I can’t even remember has a 92%+ save pct and very much a losing record. That’s a good record on a bad team. Elvis has around 90% save pct and a winning record. That’s a bad goaltender on a pretty good team. Without Korpisalo (who might be the worst goalie in the universe, throw me in net and I’d do better) and with even an average starter this team would sit comfortably in the playoffs.

Korpisalo has cost so many points it’s not even funny and he sits dead last in the league of all goalies with 15 games played. Merzlikins is at the bottom of the list as well. Backup goalies on truly horrible teams are well above him.

I have watched a lot of hockey and boy does Merzlikins slide around in net and leave openings. The team will go nowhere until Merzlikins is the backup and Korpisalo has been jettisoned to the minors.

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Elvis is part of the problem. The Ottawa backup whose name I can’t even remember has a 92%+ save pct and very much a losing record. That’s a good record on a bad team. Elvis has around 90% save pct and a winning record. That’s a bad goaltender on a pretty good team. Without Korpisalo (who might be the worst goalie in the universe, throw me in net and I’d do better) and with even an average starter this team would sit comfortably in the playoffs.

Korpisalo has cost so many points it’s not even funny and he sits dead last in the league of all goalies with 15 games played. Merzlikins is at the bottom of the list as well. Backup goalies on truly horrible teams are well above him.

I have watched a lot of hockey and boy does Merzlikins slide around in net and leave openings. The team will go nowhere until Merzlikins is the backup and Korpisalo has been jettisoned to the minors.
Although this season is tragical for Korpi I don't think he would be bad the backup. The real problem is Elvis is/will be the number 1. We can only hope Tarasov will resign and progress. Although he's better than Elvis and Korpi together now.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Although this season is tragical for Korpi I don't think he would be bad the backup. The real problem is Elvis is/will be the number 1. We can only hope Tarasov will resign and progress. Although he's better than Elvis and Korpi together now.

I really don't get this "Tarasov is our only hope" view.

We know no better of his future then we do of Elvis' future. Goalies performance isn't that predictable year to year. Elvis could be an all star next year, we have no idea.

Reactions: tunnelvision

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I really don't get this "Tarasov is our only hope" view.

We know no better of his future then we do of Elvis' future. Goalies performance isn't that predictable year to year. Elvis could be an all star next year, we have no idea.
I believe Daniil more than Elvis. But you're right, Elvis can be a star in the next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00