Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - Hockey Club 2 BRUINS 1 F OT

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
3 stats caught my attention:

0/4 on the PP;
12 hits; and
8 or 9 blocked shots.

You won't win many hockey games with those stats.

I'm a big fan of Carlo, but he hasn't had a good start to the season. He has plenty of company in that department.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
For the record, I think Montgomery is a lightweight. He proved that two years ago when he crashed a Ferrari into Paul Maurice’s panthers. But this year is on Sweeney to me. You can’t win consistently at this level with only three top six forwards, especially where one is on the wrong side of 35. This team is going to struggle all year to score, it’s way too easy to shut down one guy. Their G is really good, their D are ok but slower than average, it’s a bad recipe.
The remedy for that is cap space and/or tradeable assets. For example, if they had cap space, they could have kept Jake.

You need a number of your better players to be on entry-level contracts in order to have cap space and tradeable assets to acquire the talent to fill out your roster , and for that, you need strong draft position. Da Broons consistently strong regular seasons mean poor draft position.

I think those were Utahs stats, man.
Really, how did they win the game???? LOL at me.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
I loved seeing Monty lay into Marchand on the bench. I don’t think we see that too much.
Some people hate it but I agree....I don't care who you are, you need to be aware of your mistakes, especially when you are a team leader that everyone else is watching. Sorry 63, like it or you need to set the standard of play

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
It freaked me out a bit. I would have waited until the end of the game and talked to Brad alone. It looked desperate to yell at him like that, given Brad’s work ethic since he’s been a Bruin.
The more I think about it, the angrier I get.
Disagree....the rest of the team needs to know that everyone is held accountable. Unless...
They wait, then 63 says to the team I screwed up and it was a bad
example.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, Utah outworked the Bruins and played like a more cohesive team. They generated more chances. But on the other, the Bruins actually had more high quality chances, the defense on the whole is gradually improving (albeit let down by more lapses in the 3rd) and the game was very much there to be won with a period to go. A point on the road, against a team that's decent and seemingly on the up, is never to be sniffed at.

I'm not as gloom and doom as some here seem to be. The team is 3-2-1 and very much staying in the mix in their division while in the process of trying to reinvent itself with quite a different-looking roster. Yes they're disjointed and some of their play is really sloppy or lacking effort/intensity, but there are some positives to build on too.

My concern is more whether this roster is built properly. I fear there is a mismatch between the way they need to play to be effective and the mentality and culture of the players and the locker room as a whole. This team is short on speed and raw talent. What they are is big and for the most part quite experienced. But to make use of that size they need to play tough, gritty, physical and mean. Dump and chase, bodies to the net, force the opposition into mistakes. Simple, hard-working hockey with an edge. But look at these guys. McAvoy, Carlo, Pasta, Coyle, Beecher and Lohrei don't have a mean bone in their bodies. Frederic was feisty when he was young and looking to make an impression, but he's a teddy bear at heart. Zacha of all people seems to understand the need to step up the nasty, but it's not natural to him. Sway has moxie, but he's the goalie. I just don't see them being able to play 'big and bad'. It's not in them. And if they can't do that, is a big and slow-ish roster going to be able to take it up to the very best teams in the league?

I don't think the team has been well-coached so far this year. Not liking quite a lot of what we've seen from Monty, and I don't believe he's yet got a handle on how to get this kind of lineup working. He's more visibly grumpy, and I understand why, but I'm not sure he's dealing with it constructively. But I still remind myself we need to patient. Only 6 games in. Long way to go. This really is a different team to what the Bruins have had for a long time. It was never going to click overnight. As a team more built for playoff hockey, it's going to be more difficult for it to find its rhythm in the regular season. We saw that from the Panthers when they changed their approach two years ago, and that turned out pretty well. But it took some stumbles on the way there. The Bruins need to stick at it and some senior guys need to have a look at themselves in the mirror and step up. Need to see a bit more yet before any major shakeup moves are considered.

I agree with you, primarily about it being very early and us not really knowing what we have yet.

We’ve been spoiled with great starts the last few years. Fact is that oftentimes teams, even playoff teams tend to need time to develop into what they are going to be.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
lol Shirley you are joking
I mean, this is the 3rd year in a row you are blaming the current coach. If you can see it, explain how Harry and Llyod in the front office can't. Your indictment of Monty at this point is actually an indictment of Don and Cam. Explain how it's not on them.

Reactions: capecodder

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I hate to say this. I hate to think it. But we have to entertain the possibility that Marchand is over the hill.

Far from the only problem, but if he is, we only have 3 legit top 6 forwards on the team.
How are you getting 3? If you’re not counting Marchy then I count 2. Unless you’re counting Potsy. Too soon for that imo, although I think he certainly will be.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
For the second line folks, in fairness Marchy and Coyle have played like second line players very recently. This drought is fairly recent (and short). One of them is about to be a UFA, and one in 2 seasons. Part of the leadership group. So that is what it is.

I trust Sweeney to figure out the third spot by playoffs.
With what cap space?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think those were Utahs stats, man.
I was going to say that.

Boston 29 hits and 19 blocked shots for a combined 48 compared to Utah's combined 20.

Looking at those stats in isolation in games isn't really predictive of who will win. Lots of teams out hit/block the opposition and win and a pretty equal amount get out hit/blocked and win. A specific hit or block shot can have great importance in the context of a certain play, but generally just amassing a whole bunch of those means the other team is dominating the possession of the puck.

The comparison I used to make was looking at teams in baseball that turn a lot of double plays. You'd think turning a lot of double plays is really good.

But it actually means your team has a ton of men on base against them. This year, the top 5 teams in double plays turned all missed the playoffs, with the top double play team (COL) being the 2nd worst team in the league.

The 2 best teams in the league (LAD and SD) finished 18th and 20th in turning double plays.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I mean, this is the 3rd year in a row you are blaming the current coach. If you can see it, explain how Harry and Llyod in the front office can't. Your indictment of Monty at this point is actually an indictment of Don and Cam. Explain how it's not on them.
Links to blame

blamed for screwing up 22-23 playoffs 100 %

Gotta show me he should be fired for 23-24 regular season since I can’t recall and dispute it

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I agree with you, primarily about it being very early and us not really knowing what we have yet.

We’ve been spoiled with great starts the last few years. Fact is that oftentimes teams, even playoff teams tend to need time to develop into what they are going to be.

Yeah we have, and you're right. Need to play the long game with this group. Cups aren't won in October. It's just this nagging sense I have that this roster isn't quite built right or in a way that's going to bring the best out of its core. But there's plenty of time to work on that and make some improvements. Let's see how it plays out.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I was going to say that.

Boston 29 hits and 19 blocked shots for a combined 48 compared to Utah's combined 20.

Looking at those stats in isolation in games isn't really predictive of who will win. Lots of teams out hit/block the opposition and win and a pretty equal amount get out hit/blocked and win. A specific hit or block shot can have great importance in the context of a certain play, but generally just amassing a whole bunch of those means the other team is dominating the possession of the puck.

The comparison I used to make was looking at teams in baseball that turn a lot of double plays. You'd think turning a lot of double plays is really good.

But it actually means your team has a ton of men on base against them. This year, the top 5 teams in double plays turned all missed the playoffs, with the top double play team (COL) being the 2nd worst team in the league.

The 2 best teams in the league (LAD and SD) finished 18th and 20th in turning double plays.
Agreed.

When you never have the puck, what else is there to do but hit and block shots?

What makes it even worse for the Bruins is they rarely retrieve the puck after a block or hit.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
What is Pasta doing, thats his man. Number 9 is Zacha's. Piss poor playing by Pasta to start the year, he needs to be better, way better in his effort given on the ice. Forth line shows what happens when you move your feet. He also took that dumb penalty in OT and almost gave up a shorty with his lazy play at the blueline. Thats a young Utah club missing some dee that ran them tired all game.

Yeah Pasta got lost on this play, no question. Can take his share of the blame too. Just focused on Carlo because it's his primary job to defend and his error was part of a pattern so far this year.

Pasta has looked half-asleep so far. Still scoring because he has that rare knack, but his overall effort is not where it needs to be. Perhaps he's carrying something, don't know, but if at all possible he needs to step it up. As a leader of this team, he has to do more to set the tone.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I did saw Pierre Pagé do it to Mats Sundin. Did not finish well for Pagé and the Nords.

Marchand is not the Bruins problem, and mistakes happen.
In general, I don’t think it’s a terrible thing for a coach to get fired up and call out his Captain when team play from the top has been as bad as it has been. Sends a message to everyone.

If the Captain is a prima donna willow tree, maybe not.

But Brad isn’t some crybaby that’s going to get pissy. He’ll be angry about it (and the loss), and use it as a motivator. Brad Marchand is no lilting flower that needs protection..

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Exactly. So why can’t the coach yell at a captain and vet who’s been playing like an idiot and turning the puck over left right & center?
He should know better. He deserves to get ripped into on that play in a 1-0 game. He dodged a bullet with the offside call
It's only the 6th game into the season, and there's no need to go ballistic on your captain (who bleeds black and gold). Monty should've walked over to Marchand, leaned over and had a talk with him (man to man)

Nobody likes to be embarrassed in front of the whole stadium

This is professional hockey, not high school ....act like a pro Monty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad