Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - Hockey Club 2 BRUINS 1 F OT

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
For the record, I think Montgomery is a lightweight. He proved that two years ago when he crashed a Ferrari into Paul Maurice’s panthers. But this year is on Sweeney to me. You can’t win consistently at this level with only three top six forwards, especially where one is on the wrong side of 35. This team is going to struggle all year to score, it’s way too easy to shut down one guy. Their G is really good, their D are ok but slower than average, it’s a bad recipe.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
Put me in the camp that probably doesn't mind if Freddy does a 2-3 year bridge at 2.X. If there's a silver lining to his current start.

I want him gone. He is not giving his all most of the time. Just taking up space

I see both of these sides when it comes to Freddy, he's been frustrating so far this year putting it lightly but I just know he'd become Sam Bennett light on a new team and become a terror.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Marchand deserved that ass chewing. He's gotta lead by example and if coaches allow him to do that, it's not a good look to the rest of the team that looks up to him.
There is a difference imo between calling a guy, calling a guy in front of everyone and calling a guy giving a little shovel. Not the first time 63 makes some mental mistake, but he brings so much more....... I don't see the pertinence of Monty going after 63 on the bench.

I agree that +/- means less with a small sample size, but this variance so far is ridiculous.
Cliché time - your best players have to be your best players, in both ends.

View attachment 919063
he was +2 at the end of last year, that is -25 on the previous years and Boston had a terrific year.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
when you only have to worry about shutting down one line, it makes easy for good teams (ex FLA and LAK). Would hate to see what the record would be if the 4th line hasn't stepped up.
I think the D will figure things out but the middle six are meh.

Not really.

It's not like you can put any extra players on the ice to stop them.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Swayman was worth 8.25 million last night. Love his lateral movement. Coulda easily been 5-1.

Baffled as to why our lower pay scale players are contributing and giving a solid effort and our higher priced D and forwards...not as much.

Mick Riddleton

May these gates never be closed
Apr 24, 2017
I like these new goal simulations. Very handy. Case in point, a still from Utah's goal in regulation (the puck is the black dot at center ice heading towards #52):

View attachment 919004

What is Carlo doing here? Lindholm already has the left of the ice covered, the other Lindy and Zacha are also converging on the puck carrier on that side. Why then is Brandon's initial movement to the left, bringing the two D together and opening up acres of space on the right against a rush coming with some speed? Zero need for it and it makes no sense. Blown coverage and flat-footedness and the puck's in their net.

I've been a pretty strong supporter of Carlo over the years. He was mostly excellent last season. So far this season though he's just not right. No idea what's wrong but the lights aren't all on in his head. He's an important player and his struggles are having a pretty sizeable impact. Has to find a way to improve.
What is Pasta doing, thats his man. Number 9 is Zacha's. Piss poor playing by Pasta to start the year, he needs to be better, way better in his effort given on the ice. Forth line shows what happens when you move your feet. He also took that dumb penalty in OT and almost gave up a shorty with his lazy play at the blueline. Thats a young Utah club missing some dee that ran them tired all game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Last night against Utah the Bruins were sloppy again. This must stop to get on a consistent winning team. Is it the attitude of our players, if. Yes, then what is bothering them? Is it the coaching staff in particular the HC Monty, not getting the team properly prepared to play a full 60 minutes game?

They can not continue this slop.

Let's Go Bruins, you got this.
Just don`t buy the coach and his staff aren`t preparing the team, have Monty, Kelly and Leach behind that bench.

For me, I`m not terribly surprised with the sloppiness so far, some new faces who are still acclimating however... Why does the 4th line get "it" but the other 3 aren`t? Doesn`t make sense, for me, it`s all about the players on the ice executing and they aren`t, nothing more complicated than that

Top 5 scorers early on here- 3 of them are "4th" liners

Poitras- missed a ton of hockey last year, had surgery, likely couldn`t prep over the summer as he typically would and he`s been part of the a food processor of linemates

Marchand- 3 surgeries but you can`t convince me he`s played well so far

Pasta- putting up goals but I`m not liking what I`m seeing when he doesn`t have the puck

Coyle/Zacha - 1 and 2 pts respectively , not good enough

Geekie- looks terrible

Freddie- see Geekie

Not going to give the coaches a free pass, I think what they need to do is come up with some lines and allow those lines some games to find chemistry, a touch too quick to mix em` up but the majority of this is on the players, this is the NHL, if you need coaching staffs to get ya pumped for a game then it`s on you

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Regular season points matter. Get in and play like a bear like playoffs. This is the plan. Get top 3 position in Atlantic standings is priority right now. They have farts no question but very very early. Lots of time to fix this . Our record not so bad with these problems.
The problem with this thinking is, usually teams can score in the RS and things tighten up in the POs. They can't score and it will only get worse. The number of dumb penalties being taken from a veteran team is worrisome.
Yes, it's early, but I it's not looking like the coaching staff know how to get consistency out of a veteran team. The message is falling flat.
Preparation means nothing if no one is listening.
How come the PP isn't being prepared better. It's been dead since halfway through last season.

Unfortunately mixing lines is Monty's go to.

Reactions: lopey

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
For the second line folks, in fairness Marchy and Coyle have played like second line players very recently. This drought is fairly recent (and short). One of them is about to be a UFA, and one in 2 seasons. Part of the leadership group. So that is what it is.

I trust Sweeney to figure out the third spot by playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad