Post-Game Talk: GAME 6 - Hockey Club 2 BRUINS 1 F OT

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Monty is frustrated. Team not responding to what he wants to see on the ice. Has he lost the room? I agree not good.
Yep..... NHL is all about winning! When Bergeron retired, last year had no pressure and the season was way above expectations. This year following last season and summer addition, expectations are there. It ain't the same. They need to repeat. Boston is a very competitive market.

I am not currently sure it will be with Monty!!

Reactions: lopey

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Last night against Utah the Bruins were sloppy again. This must stop to get on a consistent winning team. Is it the attitude of our players, if. Yes, then what is bothering them? Is it the coaching staff in particular the HC Monty, not getting the team properly prepared to play a full 60 minutes game?

They can not continue this slop.

Let's Go Bruins, you got this.

Reactions: BTO

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
+ 21% in 2021-2022 -: middle pack
+ 22% 2022-2023 and + 40% in PO.
+ 22% 2023-2024

This year is the downgrade 16%.

If I'm correct and maybe I have mistaken my research, those numbers for this year exception stats ain't that bad.

11.4% in 2010-2011......

I personally don't like that!
The guy lets his team get bent over by officiating and is quiet as a mouse, and he give brad a beatdown in front the world?

F him, he blows as a coach hopefully Cam fires his ass today

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
The guy lets his team get bent over by officiating and is quiet as a mouse, and he give brad a beatdown in front the world?

F him, he blows as a coach hopefully Cam fires his ass today
Tough job to be a coach. Some fans appreciate coach calling players, other don't. Tortorella is bigger than his players, he can do it... Monty doing it an anormal action..... not his usual way. So basically not sur he did correctly or on the right player.

I use to be a Nords fan when the roll down the basement... and that kind of coach control loss on players, in front of the world can have negative impact. Hope I am wrong... but I would bet that Monty's day may now be counted.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
This team looks like it's going to need a few months to gel.
Passing and strategy are non-existent.

Right now we need to decide on who is on the team.
Are Jones and Tufte worth keeping up and rotating out?
Or are they waiver fodder and we try others?

I can't honestly say they've earned their spots, IMO.

Sway looks to be rounding into form. Pasta looks very off to me.

COLE FLIPPIN KOEPKE

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
They don’t start on time enough

Monty very good hockey guy, very nice but it’s a comfortable group

Sacco Magic = June parade
The team went to the GM and told him their last coach was a big meanie. Shades of Pats players going straight to Bobby Grier. The GM allowed this AND emboldened the players by firing the coach.

This is on him.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Absolutely brutal performance. Never seen a team with so many “hope and a prayer” passes behind the back to nowhere. They need to stop turning the puck over at the offensive blue line.

If I’m the coaching staff I’m having the players do pushups every time they make a stupid east/west pass that gets broken up when they should be going north/south til it gets through their heads.

Gotta jettison this one into the sun and hope the next game is better.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, Utah outworked the Bruins and played like a more cohesive team. They generated more chances. But on the other, the Bruins actually had more high quality chances, the defense on the whole is gradually improving (albeit let down by more lapses in the 3rd) and the game was very much there to be won with a period to go. A point on the road, against a team that's decent and seemingly on the up, is never to be sniffed at.

I'm not as gloom and doom as some here seem to be. The team is 3-2-1 and very much staying in the mix in their division while in the process of trying to reinvent itself with quite a different-looking roster. Yes they're disjointed and some of their play is really sloppy or lacking effort/intensity, but there are some positives to build on too.

My concern is more whether this roster is built properly. I fear there is a mismatch between the way they need to play to be effective and the mentality and culture of the players and the locker room as a whole. This team is short on speed and raw talent. What they are is big and for the most part quite experienced. But to make use of that size they need to play tough, gritty, physical and mean. Dump and chase, bodies to the net, force the opposition into mistakes. Simple, hard-working hockey with an edge. But look at these guys. McAvoy, Carlo, Pasta, Coyle, Beecher and Lohrei don't have a mean bone in their bodies. Frederic was feisty when he was young and looking to make an impression, but he's a teddy bear at heart. Zacha of all people seems to understand the need to step up the nasty, but it's not natural to him. Sway has moxie, but he's the goalie. I just don't see them being able to play 'big and bad'. It's not in them. And if they can't do that, is a big and slow-ish roster going to be able to take it up to the very best teams in the league?

I don't think the team has been well-coached so far this year. Not liking quite a lot of what we've seen from Monty, and I don't believe he's yet got a handle on how to get this kind of lineup working. He's more visibly grumpy, and I understand why, but I'm not sure he's dealing with it constructively. But I still remind myself we need to patient. Only 6 games in. Long way to go. This really is a different team to what the Bruins have had for a long time. It was never going to click overnight. As a team more built for playoff hockey, it's going to be more difficult for it to find its rhythm in the regular season. We saw that from the Panthers when they changed their approach two years ago, and that turned out pretty well. But it took some stumbles on the way there. The Bruins need to stick at it and some senior guys need to have a look at themselves in the mirror and step up. Need to see a bit more yet before any major shakeup moves are considered.
Agreed, been saying the same right along. Rarely does a leopard change their spots. When you got a bunch of big guys that don’t have a mean fiber in their body they wont all of a sudden develop it. It’s thier nature. Instead you get pylons that may structurally be sound but fail to use their big body to wear down a team. So a faster team is going to stay faster because they aren’t getting worked over in corners. A bigger team will also naturally wear out faster in a game. You don’t wear the other team down at the start they will begin to take over which is what we saw against Utah.

They may have a rough go at it this year. They got bigger, but they may have not got better and it’s because you have too many big guys with small man mentality and they play that way.

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
Didn't see the game but sounds like more of the same frustrating things from last year. Whoever is responsible for the powerplay shouldn't be anymore.

I hope the 4th line isn't paying for any dinners, they're keeping this team competitive while the others are deciding if they want to play a full season.

Happy to see our guy on the score sheet @Ladyfan

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The team went to the GM and told him their last coach was a big meanie. Shades of Pats players going straight to Bobby Grier. The GM allowed this AND emboldened the players by firing the coach.

This is on him.
lol Shirley you are joking

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What struck me is Monty's freak out on the goal that was negated by off-sides. He was screaming at Brad even pushing on him on shoulder.

That is a bit over the top.

A lot of players in the Top 9 are slotted a line or two above where they should be.

Marchand deserved that ass chewing. He's gotta lead by example and if coaches allow him to do that, it's not a good look to the rest of the team that looks up to him.

ORR4EVAH

Sponsor
Nov 10, 2010
Ottawa
It freaked me out a bit. I would have waited until the end of the game and talked to Brad alone. It looked desperate to yell at him like that, given Brad’s work ethic since he’s been a Bruin.
The more I think about it, the angrier I get.
If you examine the clip closely it seems like Brad must have said something that made Monty snap.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I agree that +/- means less with a small sample size, but this variance so far is ridiculous.
Cliché time - your best players have to be your best players, in both ends.

1729436316677.png

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Pasta is the symbol of how this team is playing

They are all playing a grade or half a grade below what they should be

The A students are on cruise control and getting A- or B’s…..the B students are getting C’s

There is a complete lack of urgency

Young, got their contracts, married, kids now or soon~ get a 100 points, beat the Leafs, lose in round 2….spend June visiting parents

It’s routine. It’s a cycle. It’s comfort.

Life is good

But I want a Bruins parade in June

Monty Magic, Donny!!!!!
A pre-game interview with Monty might as well be....
"Ya.... we're going to start slow and uninspired, fall behind in shots. We're targeting on getting maybe 3-4 shots in the first period, all from far range. Hopefully our 4th line bails us out later on..."

• Haha
Reactions: KWbruin and DKH

Therewolf31

Jul 24, 2024
What struck me is Monty's freak out on the goal that was negated by off-sides. He was screaming at Brad even pushing on him on shoulder.

That is a bit over the top.

A lot of players in the Top 9 are slotted a line or two above where they should be.
I've never been a fan of Monty. Still baffled that they let Butch go. Something's wrong in Beantown and the coach will bear the brunt of this if the team doesn't play better. Every game they start in slow motion. A mystery wrapped in an enigma!

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Brad screwed up but if anyone deserves a Mulligan it's him. He pays the price every game and NEVER held out for more money or wasn't a good soldier.
I thought it disgraceful to treat him like that. f*** Montgomery and the horse he rode in on.

Marchand obviously can understand his mistake as well. Doesn't need this coach attempting to humiliate.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I agree that +/- means less with a small sample size, but this variance so far is ridiculous.
Cliché time - your best players have to be your best players, in both ends.

View attachment 919063
The funniest/worst thing about it is that there’s a blueprint literally right in front of them, every 4th shift: north-south, pucks deep, bodies and pucks to the net. It ain’t rocket science. For the worst passing team I’ve ever seen they sure do love their cute, useless, little passes (which they can’t execute).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad