GDT: Game 5 - Columbus vs Tampa Bay - 1/21 7:00 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Torts is a clown.

In the clip making the rounds, PLD has his stick pinned on the far side of Johnson, he's in a 2 on 1, and he holds Johnson out of the play. He gets no help/hustle from 13 & 25. But sure, let's bench PLD for 44 minutes lmao.

The Torts act is old. Time to move on.

PLD literally did nothing but skate around with his stick up that shift, the ending you mentioned is just icing on the cake.

He has zero compete and zero fight. He literally gets there first, stops, and lets Johnson get on him. The only way he is "2 on 1" is the guy reaching in with his stick to retrieve the puck. Is PLD at all trying to get the puck? Nope. Is Johnson? Yup. Johnson is like 6 inches shorter than him and probably 50 pounds lighter and he's able to "fight off" PLD because he gave no f***s.PLD should be able to pick this puck up in stride and skate by both Johnson and the defenseman, or at least get pinned to the boards by the Dman and attempt to fight through. But no. He stops.

There is ZERO defense for this. Watch this shit and tell me this is okay.

I'm going to side with D&S on the puck battle part of it - at least that part is subtle enough. He's not going 100% to win the puck but we also see that all the time. Guys do that without noticing sometimes. I would bring it up with PLD and say turn towards the puck there instead of waiting for help. Sometimes waiting for help is a way to give less than your all.

The real kicker for me is the slow skate back to the bench. Porty clocked it at 9 seconds, I'd say 8, either way it's a player that is dogging it. It's from 37 to 45 seconds. He ought to be on the bench by the 43 second mark.

I'm asking PLD if he intends on fixing what went wrong there. If I don't get a good answer from him just send him home until a deal can be done. He can't help us win with this attitude.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Pretty easy to see Torts was looking for a reason to make an example out of PLD . He called his shot in the media about a week ago , about knowing when they were benched , and his response tonight ...Told Ya ... if if didn’t happen tonight , would have happened the next game or game after . Torts has the ole prison warden mentality that he has to brake you before he reforms you .

Reactions: BluejacketNut

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
If I'm torts, Gerbe and Stenlund draw in for Dubois and Cam next game and then Grigs gets a turn to sit.
Understand about sitting Cam, but my hesitation is this. I still see Cam giving effort and is putting pressure on himself, leading me to ask if sitting him might add to that pressure. On the other hand it’s fair to say Cam physically (e.g. speed, quickness and reaction) has declined so far this year and parts of last.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Understand about sitting Cam, but my hesitation is this. I still see Cam giving effort and is putting pressure on himself, leading me to ask if sitting him might add to that pressure. On the other hand it’s fair to say Cam physically (e.g. speed, quickness and reaction) has declined so far this year and parts of last.

Frankly I'd use the day off for a conditioning skate. Wouldn't be the first time cam got scratched like that.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty easy to see Torts was looking for a reason to make an example out of PLD . He called his shot in the media about a week ago , about knowing when they were benched , and his response tonight ...Told Ya ... if if didn’t happen tonight , would have happened the next game or game after . Torts has the ole prison warden mentality that he has to brake you before he reforms you .

You think it's a "reach" to bench a guy who took 9 seconds to skate to the bench? Who does that and gets away with it?

Reactions: Viqsi and Nanabijou

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Some men, you just can't reach.

Reactions: GoJackets1

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm all for putting in Stenlund. If PLD is unrepentant then scratch him. In addition to Bemstrom, that is, he's still overdue to sit.

I'm not at the point of scratching Cam. He's trying. Yes he kind of sucks sometimes but he's trying and when he makes that one or two good plays per game it usually pays off.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If PLD's problem is Torts, firng him would have been the easiest fix. If firing a coach in the last year of his deal, with no talk of an extension, meant you could make your first round pick happy and maybe sign long term, it is a easy decision. Coaches get fired all the time. It is more than just the coach. The guys whining about Torts have been whining the past two seasons when the players they like haven't panned out, or wanted to stay. PLD is Tort's fault, Milano is Tort's fault, DuClair is Tort's fault. Doesn't matter that Bjork, Werenski, And Korpisalo have all been fine, and improved, in the same system. Doesn't matter that Saad had his two best career seasons with Torts, or that Panarin had, up until last season, his two best seasons. According to them, Torts can't coach. According to one person, Bob being a good goalie is because he is a product of Tort's system and he sucks now because he is no longer in it. PLD needs to just be unloaded already. When a guy is getting benched and spends his time trying to talk to anyone who will listen on the bench the whole game, he is being a distraction. Just scratch him until he is gone. Also, if Columbus is just going to let Torts go at the end of the season, if there is a guy out there now they want and can get, just do it. I like Torts, but if they are just moving on anyway, no need to prolong it while you still can salvage the season.

Reactions: KCbus

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm not a big fan of Torts but on this I'm Team Torts 100%. Watching that iso clip I thought there had been an unannounced trade of PLD for Joey.

Reactions: Viqsi and I3LI3

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
it's a lose-lose situation.
PLD has checked out.
Then Torts just publicly doesn't play him.
What a perfect way to kill his trade value (by both sides). Personally I would just bench him and find the best trade. So much for getting a Seth Jones type of return (for RyJo). Right now we're hoping to get draft picks...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Cam isn’t an NHL player anymore

But he loves Columbus and those are the type of guys the franchise wants! :)

Sadly I agree, we've seen the last couple of years in the playoffs he disappears and now he's just tough to watch.

Last edited:

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
But he loves Columbus and those are the type of guys the franchise wants! :)

Sadly I agree, we've last couple of years in the playoffs he disappears and now he's just tough to watch.
This was another example at how terrible JK is at contract management. His decline is happening quicker then expected, but we still have him for what, $6m, for about 4 more years?

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
PLD shouldn't just be a healthy scratch going forward, he needs to stay the hell away from the rest of the team until he's moved. Focus on the guys who want to play vs the guy who obviously wants out.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
If PLD's problem is Torts, firng him would have been the easiest fix. If firing a coach in the last year of his deal, with no talk of an extension, meant you could make your first round pick happy and maybe sign long term, it is a easy decision. Coaches get fired all the time. It is more than just the coach. The guys whining about Torts have been whining the past two seasons when the players they like haven't panned out, or wanted to stay. PLD is Tort's fault, Milano is Tort's fault, DuClair is Tort's fault. Doesn't matter that Bjork, Werenski, And Korpisalo have all been fine, and improved, in the same system. Doesn't matter that Saad had his two best career seasons with Torts, or that Panarin had, up until last season, his two best seasons. According to them, Torts can't coach. According to one person, Bob being a good goalie is because he is a product of Tort's system and he sucks now because he is no longer in it. PLD needs to just be unloaded already. When a guy is getting benched and spends his time trying to talk to anyone who will listen on the bench the whole game, he is being a distraction. Just scratch him until he is gone. Also, if Columbus is just going to let Torts go at the end of the season, if there is a guy out there now they want and can get, just do it. I like Torts, but if they are just moving on anyway, no need to prolong it while you still can salvage the season.

I agree with most of what you're saying - except letting Torts go to pacify PLD sets a very dangerous precedent.
And will only feed the beast that is PLD ego.

You never want a player to dictate how a team should be run.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I agree with most of what you're saying - except letting Torts go to pacify PLD sets a very dangerous precedent.
And will only feed the beast that is PLD ego.

You never want a player to dictate how a team should be run.
Totally agree. I wouldn't want that either, but a front office would just spin it that Torts wasn't coming back anyway so they just expidited the process. But it has happened before and it will happen again. The Cavs did it a few years ago when Lebron wanted his guy as coach. They got a championship out of it, but pretty much ruined anybody good coming here because Lebron was in charge.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
According to AP, Dubois sources have said his relationship with Torts is not the direct reason he has asked for a trade.
I know. I was just saying if it was the reason it probably could have been handled different. I like Torts and haven't had a problem with the way he (PLD) has been handled. Frankly, PLD has come off looking pretty bad in this, but it won't stop someone trading for him.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad