GDT: Game 5 - Columbus vs Tampa Bay - 1/21 7:00 pm

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Did his attitude take a turn for the worse after meeting you? Asking for a friend.

Could be. It was just prior to 18-19 season. So yeah his two crappy seasons since should have been a clue I guess.

I talked to his dad for the story. He was very complimentary of the organization - he had spent the prior season living with the Savards - the elder Dubois knew Davis from coaching him in junior. Dad also thought highly of Torts and his ability to get the most out of his players.

for what it’s worth.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Could be. It was just prior to 18-19 season. So yeah his two crappy seasons since should have been a clue I guess.

I talked to his dad for the story. He was very complimentary of the organization - he had spent the prior season living with the Savards - the elder Dubois knew Davis from coaching him in junior. Dad also thought highly of Torts and his ability to get the most out of his players.

for what it’s worth.

How was PLD one-on-one in terms of personality? He doesn't seem to be a very effusive sort.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
How was PLD one-on-one in terms of personality? He doesn't seem to be a very effusive sort.

Pleasant, always smiling, told some really good stories about growing up. Polite, generous with his time, never once acted like he was trying to bail on the interview or that he has somewhere better to be (which could be seen as a personality flaw given it was me, eh CR?).

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

for what it’s worth.

As more tiny little (mostly anecdotal) tidbits come out, I am just left more and more perplexed as to what the heck is going on.

Reactions: majormajor

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
As more tiny little (mostly anecdotal) tidbits come out, I am just left more and more perplexed as to what the heck is going on.
For whatever reason, the more time goes by, the more I feel like it has something to do with COVID. Not sure what exactly, but something.

Reactions: Monk

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For whatever reason, the more time goes by, the more I feel like it has something to do with COVID. Not sure what exactly, but something.

I have a working theory based on nothing but idle conjecture drawing on a few seemingly unrelated reports. But yeah, my theory is that it's COVID related.

To be clear, I'm not being sarcastic here.

Last edited:
Reactions: cslebn and Monk

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Torts is a clown.

In the clip making the rounds, PLD has his stick pinned on the far side of Johnson, he's in a 2 on 1, and he holds Johnson out of the play. He gets no help/hustle from 13 & 25. But sure, let's bench PLD for 44 minutes lmao.

The Torts act is old. Time to move on.

AT LEAST 2 games in a row there’s been ON ICE laziness and body language detrimental to the team.

I made it known that he had the same type of actions in the last DET game that were actually WORSE. Bemstrom lost the puck coming into the zone, lost it, and Dubois’ body language was TERRIBLE. Outward showing of “frustration” you could see on tv.

Bemstrom was a step behind from stumbling/getting the puck taken, and as DET transitioned the other way, instead of even showing any intent to back check, Dubois SLOWLY turned and coasted to the bench as there was a 5 man odd man break going the other way.

SOMEBODY PLEASE FIND/ISOLATE THIS CLIP!! Somebody must remember this, DET came down running the f***ing ‘flying v’ damn near.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Pleasant, always smiling, told some really good stories about growing up. Polite, generous with his time, never once acted like he was trying to bail on the interview or that he has somewhere better to be (which could be seen as a personality flaw given it was me, eh CR?).

That's part of why this is so perplexing. When a young player wants a trade there is often a different personality type going on. Like someone who has trouble fitting in, or a prima donna, or someone just lost in their own head (Sonny Milano?), or generally a pompous young person (of which there are many). We don't see any of that.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That's part of why this is so perplexing. When a young player wants a trade there is often a different personality type going on. Like someone who has trouble fitting in, or a prima donna, or someone just lost in their own head (Sonny Milano?), or generally a pompous young person (of which there are many). We don't see any of that.

Let's not take too much from it, though, and be all DSL said he's a good dude! I met him once under these conditions, and this was my reaction. Obviously, he could have been totally full of shit (I don't think so but...) and hoodwinked the old guy.

Reactions: thebus88 and cslebn

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Let's not take too much from it, though, and be all DSL said he's a good dude! I met him once under these conditions, and this was my reaction. Obviously, he could have been totally full of shit (I don't think so but...) and hoodwinked the old guy.

I'm using your experience as one piece of evidence among many. We've watched this guy over and over again for years. He's done interviews and PR very generously and never betrayed any personality flaw.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
AT LEAST 2 games in a row there’s been ON ICE laziness and body language detrimental to the team.

I made it known that he had the same type of actions in the last DET game that were actually WORSE. Bemstrom lost the puck coming into the zone, lost it, and Dubois’ body language was TERRIBLE. Outward showing of “frustration” you could see on tv.

Bemstrom was a step behind from stumbling/getting the puck taken, and as DET transitioned the other way, instead of even showing any intent to back check, Dubois SLOWLY turned and coasted to the bench as there was a 5 man odd man break going the other way.

SOMEBODY PLEASE FIND/ISOLATE THIS CLIP!! Somebody must remember this, DET came down running the f***ing ‘flying v’ damn near.

I think both are at fault here. PLD for some lazy play, but Torts for being an ass about it as well. He hates guys yapping to the media but loves to unload a "told ya" when asking about benching a player.

As Anson Carter noted...what players around the league are watching Torts and thinking, "hmm, sign me up for that!" Apparently only Michael Del Zotto. This isn't the first time Torts has made a big fuss about benching a player (Saad in the postseason, Johansen the partial season he had him, etc.). Sometimes it works (see: Cam after he gets healthy scratched). Where it gets into "clown" territory for me is when he then yaps about it to the media in the postgame, but other times he says "we keep our business in the room." Well, which is it?

If PLD is loafing it to the point that you think Texier-Domi-Nash-Stenlund down the middle are your four best centers, just scratch the kid.

Torts hates business being aired in the media...unless it's him playing hard ass on a guy he thinks isn't showing enough effort or whatever.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I had a really good outlook right after we lost to the eventual SCC. Tampa Bay beat us, but were getting closer to the team we have all been waiting for. Jarmo didn't pull the trigger on a top LW, ok too obvious bot par for the course. Trade Andy for Domi. That could work. Gus has surgery - out 4 - 5 months..ouch. Clear cap space by giving away Murray (one of my favorites), get rid of Nuti.. another favorite.. gonna get this make cap room to match a PLD offer sheet. THAT WAS SOME SERIOUS BS...right there.

Signed MDZ.. Domi starting to heat up f*** it bring up Stenlund and Gerbe. I just want to see someone that really wants to play in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad