Post-Game Talk: GAME 5 - Best Bruins start since 1937-38 - We're on to Chicago

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Way too early for me. The schedule has been easy.

However, the Bruins need to bank these points when playing lower tier teams. And they have.

Still think we in for a bit of a roller coaster ride, but it's fun and love love love seeing some kids develop. Critical we score on some of our prospects while we wait to be able to draft in first round again. And it seems in Poitras and Lohrei we have a couple of prospective gems.
well said, so much change over the summer, Zacha/Coyle shift up in the lineup with Z moving to the dot, the kid joining the team, Looch/Geekie/Beecher/JVR, so much change, not at all surprising the team is struggling a bit to find a rhythm but as you mentioned, they banked the pts they needed to bank.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Marchy-Zacha-Pasta gives us a bonified top line. It would fall somewhere in that 5-10 best in the league I would say.

Debrusk-Poitras-Geekie is an intriguing one. If Debrusk can score 30 goals and the other two put up 40+ points, I think that's a decent line 2.

JVR-Coyle-Freddy would be an above average 3rd line.

Looch-Beecher-Lauko won't put up a lot of points but they'll be annoying to play against.

Any moves we potentially make would most likely be to move Geekie out of the top 6 , baring Poitras can play the full season as the 2C.
I think its flipped tbh. But just my opinion.

Coyle line is going to get the tougher matchups and will be expected to shutdown other top 2 lines and still produce. Its going to be up to the Poitras line to take advantage of mismatches which is good and a better spot for a rookie center IMO.

Call it 2A/2B this year if you will. Or 3A/3B if you wanna be negative about it LOL. WIth a clear cut first line in that Zacha line.

This of course all depends on if Jimbo sticks with his lines for more than 2 seconds. Really hoping he does stick with these.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It is way too early to predict what a full season will look like but I do like the confidence that this little run must be having on the team. The games may have been easier competition but it is perfect timing to gain some experience and see where the chemistry develops. The luxury of Linus and Sway makes it even better and takes the stress levels down.

Babajingo

5 games in. I'll wait until 20ish to see where they are at.
The teams they've played have a combined 8-17 record so far.

Their D looks just as good or better than last year.

Goal scoring is middle of the pack and PP% is ranked 17th. Against the crap teams.
Lets see how they do against the better teams. Can't wait for the Det game next weekend.

Good news is the D will always keep them in the games. I'm optimistic but just want to see more games before I chug down the Kookaid.

Reactions: Number8 and Gordoff

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Would like to see the ice time and pp time for all three. Bedard vs the Bruins looked like he was on the ice every other shift and nearly the entire power play.
Ask and ye shall receive. Bedard and Colley both are getting significantly more PP time, and considerably more ice time in general. Added for comparison are their scoring stats. Obviously very very early in the season, but appears to be validation for what you are seeing. BTW, against Boston, Bedard had his highest ice time total so far - 21:44 - so I see why it seemed like he was out almost every other shift.
GP+/-P/MINES/GSH/GPP/GTOI/GTOISHFTSHFT/GTOI/SHFT
Bedard6-40.03314:590:015:1920:182:01:5311719.51:02
Poitras530.05512:350:021:3114:081:10:449719.40:44
Cooley510.04413:470:273:5618:101:30:52100200:54
GPGAP+/-PIMGWGOTGG-PPA-PPG-SHA-SHSS%P/G
Bedard6224-42001000229.10.7
Poitras5213301000008250.6
Cooley504412000400500.8
Also wanted to add - Bedard is 35.1% at the dot so far and Poitras is 45.6 (74 vs 46 total faceoffs taken) Cooley is 52.1% for comparison.

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Wow. That is surprising to me considering Swayman is much younger.
Ullmark catches crap about game 5 and 6 on social media and here and people took Sweeney comments the wrong way - he wasn’t upset at him, and he was seriously injured. They saw no benefit from admitting to anything that did not require surgery - and if they could get away with that they would

Ullmark isn’t Brodeur or Roy just like Pedro & Degrom aren’t Tiant & Gaylord Perry or Denny McLain. Play him 45 games and go from there

Reactions: Bodit9

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Ask and ye shall receive. Bedard and Colley both are getting significantly more PP time, and considerably more ice time in general. Added for comparison are their scoring stats. Obviously very very early in the season, but appears to be validation for what you are seeing. BTW, against Boston, Bedard had his highest ice time total so far - 21:44 - so I see why it seemed like he was out almost every other shift.
GP+/-P/MINES/GSH/GPP/GTOI/GTOISHFTSHFT/GTOI/SHFT
Bedard6-40.03314:590:015:1920:182:01:5311719.51:02
Poitras530.05512:350:021:3114:081:10:449719.40:44
Cooley510.04413:470:273:5618:101:30:52100200:54
GPGAP+/-PIMGWGOTGG-PPA-PPG-SHA-SHSS%P/G
Bedard6224-42001000229.10.7
Poitras5213301000008250.6
Cooley504412000400500.8
Also wanted to add - Bedard is 35.1% at the dot so far and Poitras is 45.6 (74 vs 46 total faceoffs taken) Cooley is 52.1% for comparison.
I find it amazing that Chicago is giving this kid 20 plus minutes of icetime a night. Jeez.... hope he can hold up!

I get it that he's projected to be a super talent, but Chicago ain't going anywhere special for a little bit yet. Kind of like riding a young horse and not sparing the whip despite the fact that he's not yet age qualified to race in the Derby.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I find it amazing that Chicago is giving this kid 20 plus minutes of icetime a night. Jeez.... hope he can hold up!

I get it that he's projected to be a super talent, but Chicago ain't going anywhere special for a little bit yet. Kind of like riding a young horse and not sparing the whip despite the fact that he's not yet age qualified to race in the Derby.
The Hawks I'm sure got lots of new STH because of him. So foe the 1st month give the fans what they want and reevaluate then.

Reactions: Number8

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I had to go look at the 2008-2009 Habs team that upset us in the playoffs in the 1-8 series.

It was actually way worse than I remembered, lol. What a choke that was. I was expecting to see a better habs roster. It really was just very well coached and then the epic goaltending.

Our roster is head and shoulders better than that one was, so my first impulse would be to say we're better than an 8th place team.

My main concern now is we play in the best division in hockey by a country mile. Our division has exactly one bad team in it. That's kind of scary. If we played in the Pacific we'd probably be 2nd or 3rd. The Atlantic division potentially has 8 playoff quality teams. Imagine?

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

It seems like fitness is not an issue for him, and they are not trying to win, so his mistakes don't hurt them. I would hope that they are smart enough to monitor the situation, and pull back the reigns if he does start to really struggle

Reactions: Number8

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Great game, fun

Last game we were talking about how Poitras was good but nothing to show for...keep that up and points will come and they did, love his skating and quick change of directions, deceptive.

Pasta the power forward

Home game

Reactions: Carl Hungus

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
All the love for Potsy, but wtf is up with Hampus Lindholm?? He has been way off and Kevin Shattenkirk is no longer an NHL defenseman.
Interesting. I’ve personally thought the defence was real good. The only defender I haven’t liked is Mitchel. Shattenkirk has been decent. A lot better than Clifton.

Clifton was fun because he crushed ppl and had a cannon. He was also out of position a lot. He is small and a liability. But he is fun to watch. Meh. This years defence looks better without him.

Carlo and mcavoy are the best to me. Lindholm is third. Gryz has been excellent as per usual. Forbort looks better than last year. It’s early in the season so we shall see how it pans out.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Yes you did , but you may notice our posts were just minutes apart and I hadn't read yours yet. Also, it was meant in jest . I thought your expired can of Chef boy and sex was hilarious.

I'll disagree with JVR and Shatty they have contributed. Brown I can't defend.

Whatever the plan was its clearly working.
I think the plan was we needed to shop at WalMart which we did....short terms, affordable salaries....and if some work out well....all the better

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
my two cents with Poitras comparisons is that he reminds me of a young (Flames era) Marc Savard. Not the fastest, undersized, but controls the puck along the boards, is heads up, quick stick, and a bit feisty. The Flames screwed up with Savvy. Hopefully The Bruins keep him around.
He also reminds me that this is what I expected from Zach Hamill at 18 ... so? I'm hit or miss.
Yes, the offensive part reminds me of Savard to. But Poitras is currently better than Savard has ever been IMO.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Something that was very evident from the first Prospects Challenge game this year is that Poitras despises playing in his own end even though he is good at it. As soon as the other team gains possession in its own zone Poitras immediately is hounding in an attempt to get the puck back. Dude is relentless. Similar in the neutral zone. Then once he is in the offensive zone his motor kicks into high gear trying to make something happen by creating when he has the puck and getting to the right spot when he doesn't have the puck. Kid gets it. His overall game at his age is quite impressive.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Grieg looks capable of 25-30 and ha physicality in his game. Its ok to project a player differently at this point.
I don't think so, even the folks here in Ottawa believe that he is more likely to be a 20 goal guy that brings lots of intangibles, such as some physicality/pest, etc.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I had to go look at the 2008-2009 Habs team that upset us in the playoffs in the 1-8 series.

It was actually way worse than I remembered, lol. What a choke that was. I was expecting to see a better habs roster. It really was just very well coached and then the epic goaltending.

Our roster is head and shoulders better than that one was, so my first impulse would be to say we're better than an 8th place team.

My main concern now is we play in the best division in hockey by a country mile. Our division has exactly one bad team in it. That's kind of scary. If we played in the Pacific we'd probably be 2nd or 3rd. The Atlantic division potentially has 8 playoff quality teams. Imagine?
we swept the habs that year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad