GDT: Game 5: Anaheim Ducks vs Los Angeles Kings, 5pm PT

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We’ve lost to the teams that are better than us and beat the teams we could realistically be better than. Hard for me to be too upset about this start of the season
We barely beat San Jose without their best player. If it weren't for the fact that San Jose is a disaster of a hockey team, that was a performance we'd lose to most of the league with. Our only good, even passable game so far was against Utah.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Soooo, what's Bruce Boudreau up to these days? I imagine he would at least kiss some life into our forward group and get the defense from abysmal to below average within a month or two.
he's old and done coaching, at least at the nhl level. he's also not someone you hire to coach a rebuilding team

Reactions: Boo Boo

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I want to hope that there is some more flu going on the team which is why we have looked so bad the past 2 games. But at the same time looking back at how clueless our coaching was last year, the Lyubushins comments – it's a bit doomy feeling about where we're at as a franchise. Surely, some of the blame should also be on the players, but I don't feel they should be the first on the line when looking at where we are...

Reactions: Boo Boo
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Cronin blames lack of urgency, slowness:

I hope he's not bag skating the guys :laugh:
He looks frustrated too

He’s not sure of this.. not sure of that. Another gem of a presser.

This is where the problem is two-fold: if he’s saying the team doesn’t skate (and by the tone it sounds like it’s been apparent for a long while), then Verbeek should’ve signed more ‘quicker’ FAs if there were any. The roster is nearly the same and the clueless fundamentals are still being shown.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The Killorn contract is just absolutely terrible. He looks completely cooked and we have him signed at 6.8 million per year through the 2026-2027 season

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
where's mctavish been so far this season?
I have an unpleasant feeling that McTavish will become the biggest blemish on Madden's drafting record. I just don't see how he'll become anything deserving his draft spot.

He has a shot, but he doesn't use it. He has a frame, but he's not aware enough to use that to generate offense. He's not a good enough passer or a good enough skater. That's not a top six player unless he really starts developing by leaps and bounds. They're counting on him becoming a ROR type player, but I'm not sure he has it in him.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Leo looks like our only real star up front. The rest just can't get seperation to make plays. Granted, the Kings did a great job of swarming us upon entry to the zone. The powerplay looked especially bad with pressure applied.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I have an unpleasant feeling that McTavish will become the biggest blemish on Madden's drafting record. I just don't see how he'll become anything deserving his draft spot.

He has a shot, but he doesn't use it. He has a frame, but he's not aware enough to use that to generate offense. He's not a good enough passer or a good enough skater. That's not a top six player unless he really starts developing by leaps and bounds. They're counting on him becoming a ROR type player, but I'm not sure he has it in him.
He's a top 6 player if he gets played as a winger IMO. I don't think he has 'it' to be the main player on his line (which is what you expect from your centre).

I said it last week but right now he's being asked to play a game which basically exploits all his weaknesses and minimises his strength, it's terrible coaching.

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
He's a top 6 player if he gets played as a winger IMO. I don't think he has 'it' to be the main player on his line (which is what you expect from your centre).

I said it last week but right now he's being asked to play a game which basically exploits all his weaknesses and minimises his strength, it's terrible coaching.
You have to wonder if flipping the C responsibilities between Z and McT would help him find his stride. I am not sold on Z being a natural center, as I have said before elsewhere, but McT as the line driver is clearly not doing him any favours.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It’s the coaches job to make them work hard?

A coach can set expectations but at the end of the day it’s up to the players to put the effort in. Cronin can’t play the game for them.

I may be in the minority here but I really don’t think the issues tonight were a coaching thing. You can’t give a 80% effort level and expect to win in this league.
I feel like the special teams is 100% coaching…. I think the players constantly looking lost or not knowing what to do is 100% coaching.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
At this point winning is pointless…. Culture still sucks thought gudas being captain would help that a bit but havnt seen it.

Leadership and accountability are fails , unless your name is zegras then you are held accountable

Coaching is a major issue, head coach and assistants all need to get the axe…. Nhl powerplay looking like it has so far this season is 100% unacceptable.

I’m about ready to say this season is a loss, and hope for a top 5 pick…. We’re not going to be attractive to free agents until our young guys start producing, and they arnt going to with Cronin at the helm

Reactions: dracom and 70sSanO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad