GDT: Game 42 - Philadelphia Flyers @ Winnipeg Jets - Saturday, January 13th, 2024 - 6:00pm CST - CITYTV - CJOB/Power 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Okay, I need someone to help out the fur brain.

The more I read about 11/7D the more confused I get. First, why is it often regarded as negative, like something bad has befallen the team and this is a last resort? I though that every time a defence man gets dinged during a game and has to leave, don't we switch to 7D? (Counting the guy swearing off the agony in the dressing room.) Isn't using 7D just another strategic choice a coach can make?

Second, how does it work mechanically if we have only 3 2/3 lines? Does the fourth line not get in the game? Or does it borrow a forward from the other three? Or do the two guys on the fourth line spell off other players for PK or PP?

If the answer is too lengthy, feel free to direct me to something authoritative to read. No, Sip doesn't count.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

The more I read about 11/7D the more confused I get. First, why is it often regarded as negative, like something bad has befallen the team and this is a last resort? I though that every time a defence man gets dinged during a game and has to leave, don't we switch to 7D? (Counting the guy swearing off the agony in the dressing room.) Isn't using 7D just another strategic choice a coach can make?

Second, how does it work mechanically if we have only 3 2/3 lines? Does the fourth line not get in the game? Or does it borrow a forward from the other three? Or do the two guys on the fourth line spell off other players for PK or PP?

If the answer is too lengthy, feel free to direct me to something authoritative to read. No, Sip doesn't count.
Ya they double shift a forward for the 4th line and some of the defensemen get less minutes. I think you have too good of a chance that you tire out some of the forwards when doing this and if a forward gets hurt early in the game you are now basically down to 3 lines.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Awesome GDT @macmaroon !

Despite our recent success I think the schedule is starting to wear us down.

Hopefully we can gut out another win tonight.

I replay that montage in my head a lot when I work out.:thumbu:

The part when Adrian returns that montage turns hilarious in my view.:laugh: Such a product if it’s time but still entertaining for sure.

Last edited:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018

11/7 being used most often arises when a F can't go for some reason and there is no time or opportunity to call up a replacement. If a team is on the road and say a F is injured or feels sick game day either in the morning skate or pre game then the coach will look at who his extra skaters are and sometimes decides on a 7th D over another F, if one is even available. Sometimes this will be matchup based, but most often not.

In a 12/6 situation if a D goes down then we are 12/5 for the rest of the game. One or two D will then like do double duty on 2 pairings. In 11/7 if a D goes down we would be 11/6, so still have a normal full compliment of D.

If a F goes down during a game in a 12/6 situation, like Caribou legs the last game then the lines are adjusted and you'll likely see someone pulling double duty on 2 lines.

If you start the game 11/7 then there is a fair likelihood that the 7th D will skate some of their shifts as part of the 4th line, maybe alternating shifts between F & D and you will see some F double shifting.

All F and all D will get into the game at some point in an 11/7 situation, as they would in the usual 12/6 alignment. Ice time is mostly determined by the circumstances of the game, like any other game. Your stars will get the most ice time but if there are a lot of penalties then the PK'ers will get more ice time and conversely the PP players get a tick up in ice time if the other team incurs many penalties.

A blowout on either side may mean more ice time for certain players, to rest the stars or those maybe nursing little owies.

Hope this makes sense. Coffee hasn't fully started working yet this morning.

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Hilarious stuff Mac :laugh::laugh::laugh:

C'mon Jets. Do it for the environment:sarcasm:

1705165642292.png

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Couple of game day decisions could mean nagging injuries or an illness going thru the room, as for Scheifele he might be day to day for a while depending on how he feels, KFC is at least a week away maybe we see him before the all star break but more probably after
I'm seeing that 55 will not be in the lineup tonight. No word on The great Dane or AJF yet. Gustafson the only player in non contact yellow.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
All of the ingredients for a loss are baked into this game. It will be a real test for the boys. It will be interesting for sure…….
These are the types of situations where it is quite possible we lay an egg, but I think this group has a lot of pride in their play and in keeping the winning streak going.
I say we gut this out.
I like that Torts fellow , he doesn’t have a long shelf life , but he’s good for 1-2 seasons to get clubs going.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
11/7 being used most often arises when a F can't go for some reason and there is no time or opportunity to call up a replacement. If a team is on the road and say a F is injured or feels sick game day either in the morning skate or pre game then the coach will look at who his extra skaters are and sometimes decides on a 7th D over another F, if one is even available. Sometimes this will be matchup based, but most often not.

In a 12/6 situation if a D goes down then we are 12/5 for the rest of the game. One or two D will then like do double duty on 2 pairings. In 11/7 if a D goes down we would be 11/6, so still have a normal full compliment of D.

If a F goes down during a game in a 12/6 situation, like Caribou legs the last game then the lines are adjusted and you'll likely see someone pulling double duty on 2 lines.

If you start the game 11/7 then there is a fair likelihood that the 7th D will skate some of their shifts as part of the 4th line, maybe alternating shifts between F & D and you will see some F double shifting.

All F and all D will get into the game at some point in an 11/7 situation, as they would in the usual 12/6 alignment. Ice time is mostly determined by the circumstances of the game, like any other game. Your stars will get the most ice time but if there are a lot of penalties then the PK'ers will get more ice time and conversely the PP players get a tick up in ice time if the other team incurs many penalties.

A blowout on either side may mean more ice time for certain players, to rest the stars or those maybe nursing little owies.

Steinbach technically had to go 12/4 the other day in the MJ thanks to injury/suspension, but had a forward drop back to play defense.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is why I really try and emphasize the nature of luck in this game we love, even when the favorite wins. Let's not think that our winning streak is because we've become some infallible team. We've played very well and we've gotten some breaks. Maybe we won't get the breaks this time, but that shouldn't stop us from playing exactly how we know how to. Playing with "Perfetti blocking a shot with 3 seconds left in a 5-0 game" dedication. Put the inputs in and cheer for some good outputs, and we may just keep our hands on the steering wheel of the league for one more night :)

Everytime that Appleton gives up the puck, take a shot of Appleton :P
Ha! I'm going on a cruise tomorrow so have to save my liver

Great news on KC - Hopefully get an update on him soon (ie; when will he be joining the lineup)
With 3 days off I'd put big money on them holding him out.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022

That made perfect sense, thank you! It will make me sound so much smarter (it's a low bar) while watching the game tonight with a few friends.

I really appreciate the trouble you went to, thanks!

All of the ingredients for a loss are baked into this game. It will be a real test for the boys. It will be interesting for sure…….
Especially interesting since it's a Saturday game, and according to Mr. Explainer who loudly presides over the daily hockey lunch crowd, it's on Saturdays that the refs put more effort into keeping a game close as long as possible.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
These are the types of situations where it is quite possible we lay an egg, but I think this group has a lot of pride in their play and in keeping the winning streak going.
I say we gut this out.
I like that Torts fellow , he doesn’t have a long shelf life , but he’s good for 1-2 seasons to get clubs going.
At the same time, if we're gonna lay one, might as well be now-ish.

Won't be tuning in tonight but am going to catch the PWHL games for the first time. Love that they're free on Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad