Post-Game Talk: GAME 4 - Last Bruins team to start 4-0-0 was in 1990-91

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

LOS ANGELES — Derek Forbort hopped on the ice for pregame warmups Saturday night at the Crypto.comArena and immediately he started hearing a familiar voice yapping at him.
The big Bruins defenseman was making a return to the place he called his NHL home for the first five years of his career, and he had a frenemy waiting for him.
Former Kings teammate — and fellow defenseman — Drew Doughty was letting Forbort have it.

“He was chirping me for wearing my helmet during warmups,” Forbort said with a laugh moments after he collected a pair of assists in Boston’s 4-2 win over the Kings.

A Kings first-round draft pick in 2010, Forbort helped direct a nice Hollywood sequel for himself with his defense, penalty killing, and a surprise shot of offense.

“Forbes? Oh man, he loves LA, obviously,” said Bruins goalie Jeremy Swayman. “So, it’s awesome for him. I mean he’s a guy that works hard every day as well and a guy that comes up big in big times and he is not only getting some points, but he’s obviously a shutdown D-man in front of me.”

“I don’t really care about points, but anytime you get ‘em, it’s nice,” Forbort. “It’s fun to come back.”

“Now you’re starting to see a player that’s the player that we saw last year,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “He’s really assertive defensively, blocking shots, getting pucks out on the penalty kill, and he’s getting more assertive offensively again too. He’s sliding, he’s getting more comfortable. He’s getting in a good rhythm offensively.”

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
That was a prototypical Bruins win. Shutdown D, great goaltending, excellent specialty teams (especially PK), some solid hits and good scraps. A very entertaining night was had by all.

Swayman was superb, especially int he first and that 5 on 3 PK was perfect. That goes wrong and the whole game might have shifted. Excellent game from the captain as well.

If I'm Montgomery and I'm putting Jake back in tomorrow I'm resting Lucic. Brown was more than adequate and Lucic looked a little gassed trying to keep up with Pasta. Give him a night off and then back in at home.

I'm really enjoying this year's so called transition team. Even JVR who I was sure I'd hate.

Lucic might have a bone bruise and may not be able to play.

#74 goes back in, keep 63-18-88 together for the year. They are capable of carrying the offense.

The G and team D insure they are still a bubble team but not better until they can get a #1C. Lindholm looks like the only #1C available and he isn't in the class of the top 20% from last year but is still a legit 1C. Sweeney may be forced to move #74 for him if he wants to get a top 3 divisional slot.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Lucic might have a bone bruise and may not be able to play.

#74 goes back in, keep 63-18-88 together for the year. They are capable of carrying the offense.

The G and team D insure they are still a bubble team but not better until they can get a #1C. Lindholm looks like the only #1C available and he isn't in the class of the top 20% from last year but is still a legit 1C. Sweeney may be forced to move #74 for him if he wants to get a top 3 divisional slot.
How is this a bubble team no one has goaltending near ours. D is top 5 as good as anyone. We might have the leagues leading goal scorer. Lost some complimentary scoring yes.

Looking around the league all I see is teams that are overrated the bad young ones are still bad. New Jersey has a ton of skill fun team but go check their roster half of the guys who dress for them are washed up Bruins rejects. (I consider Brandon Smith one even if he never played for us lol.)

2-3 matchup at worst which could be a better spot than 1 seed.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Bruins weather their bad stretches better than any other team in hockey. There was a portion of the 2nd period where they were right back on their heels, couldn't generate much of anything while the Kings were pressing and building solid O zone time, including a PP. But LA got nothing, and as soon as the Bruins finally turned things around and got some offense in, they scored two quick goals and effectively killed off the game.

They do that sort of thing consistently. Solid, positionally sound D, elite goaltending, and a best-in-show PK get the job done and keep the team alive and in the hunt even when the offense is patchy or outright misfiring.

Great to see the team step up here and grind out a win against a good Kings team that came to play. Marchand is starting to heat up and that bodes very well. Zacha too. Lots of pieces to still to fall in their proper places amongst the forwards, but little steps.

Oh and kudos to Cam Talbot for the great Ron Burgundy artwork on his mask. Very classy!

They won the goaltending duel pretty decisively and because of that, the game.
I would run with 63-18-88 until they prove they aren't effective. I would say they should be able to carry the O as a legit #1 line.

Its all going to comedown to if 51/13 can give them enough center ice
play to dent the net and give them secondary scoring.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
How is this a bubble team no one has goaltending near ours. D is top 5 as good as anyone. We might have the leagues leading goal scorer. Lost some complimentary scoring yes.

Looking around the league all I see is teams that are overrated the bad young ones are still bad. New Jersey has a ton of skill fun team but go check their roster half of the guys who dress for them are washed up Bruins rejects. (I consider Brandon Smith one even if he never played for us lol.)

They still have a huge hole at center, that's why IMO they are still a bubble team.
The schedule has been perfect for them with 3 DNQ's and just the Kings as a PO team
and 2 more DNQ's to follow.

They aren't going to be able to rope-a-dope their way thru a season like they did tonight. Swayman and quite a bit of puck luck went their way.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Put either of these two goalies on Kings and I would call them a legit cup contender

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Poitras was the main ingredient for two goals tonight and has nothing to show for it.
Yes and I'm pissed. It's ok lots of games left.

They still have a huge hole at center, that's why IMO they are still a bubble team.
The schedule has been perfect for them with 3 DNQ's and just the Kings as a PO team

They aren't going to be able to rope-a-dope their way thru a season like they did tonight. Swayman and quite a bit of puck luck went their way.
A good start makes it easier to make it in top 3. Playing weak opponents is helping huge.

Reactions: Gordoff and hrdpuk

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
Just watched the game, 63-18-88, will play a lot together. All the kids looked great, Poitras is making a strong case to stay. Goaltending, defense & PK...superb. Forbort is so good on the PK. Carlo playing great. Get 14 points in the first 10 games & take it from there. Hopefully get 5 on 5 goals from 2nd line. Go Bruins !

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

Sure, but if 63-18-88 can be an effective first line you have a de facto #1 centre, who is effective defensively anyway, if not a de jure one.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

LOS ANGELES — Derek Forbort hopped on the ice for pregame warmups Saturday night at the Crypto.comArena and immediately he started hearing a familiar voice yapping at him.
The big Bruins defenseman was making a return to the place he called his NHL home for the first five years of his career, and he had a frenemy waiting for him.
Former Kings teammate — and fellow defenseman — Drew Doughty was letting Forbort have it.

“He was chirping me for wearing my helmet during warmups,” Forbort said with a laugh moments after he collected a pair of assists in Boston’s 4-2 win over the Kings.

A Kings first-round draft pick in 2010, Forbort helped direct a nice Hollywood sequel for himself with his defense, penalty killing, and a surprise shot of offense.

“Forbes? Oh man, he loves LA, obviously,” said Bruins goalie Jeremy Swayman. “So, it’s awesome for him. I mean he’s a guy that works hard every day as well and a guy that comes up big in big times and he is not only getting some points, but he’s obviously a shutdown D-man in front of me.”

“I don’t really care about points, but anytime you get ‘em, it’s nice,” Forbort. “It’s fun to come back.”

“Now you’re starting to see a player that’s the player that we saw last year,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “He’s really assertive defensively, blocking shots, getting pucks out on the penalty kill, and he’s getting more assertive offensively again too. He’s sliding, he’s getting more comfortable. He’s getting in a good rhythm offensively.”
Dude returned early from injury for the playoffs...he wasn't his best. He was dominant regular season leading up to the injury. It's fantastic to see him back to his old self.

How was Mitchell? I really didn't notice him?

• Haha
Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Goaltending is the MVP so far, by far.

Nice to see Monty try Marchand-Zacha-Pasta. They immediately started making plays and playing fast. They played less than 5 minutes together but had 2 goals. I hate one line teams but the Bruins need that line right now.

I'd like to see them try DeBrusk-Poitras-Geekie in the next game.

Mitchell didn't do much to earn himself a second start. Was hoping for the guy we saw in Buffalo but he was just ok.

Swayman's mustache is hideous. I'm not a mustache guy.

I'm not a fan of the 3rd period, prevent-defense. Hopefully, as they gel and find the lines they want to run with they'll get better at making plays and killing the game in the Ozone instead of the Dzone.
This. Same could have been said last year. Boston is the best in the league.... and with two very good keeper, everything can happen. I feel good AGAIN this year with this group.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Many here are hoping the BRUINS don't win the President's Cup. Most here would like the BRUINS to win every game. We have here what is called a dilemma.
I am all in for the President Cup. Being the best out of 82 games has some value to me.

I wonder if Looch gave Freddy some fighting tips, cus that was the best I’ve seen him look against a guy his size.
Lucic has more impact on the team than some folks think. He would have been huge last year and will stample this team by giving 1 more inche to everyone. I also like Boston 2023/2024 roster size. We have the size top play tough and PO hockey. I am optimistic!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad