GDT: Game 3: Red Wings at rags 7:00 pm et 10/14/24

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Berggren, like Hudler before him, is at his core a playmaking catalyst. If you stick him with talent, he has the ability to make a line better. But there needs to be a base level of offensive inclination in his linemates. He's not a "f*** it, I'll do it myself" offensive player. Not at the NHL level. So if you stick him on a line opposite Motte, there really isn't anything he can do with that. It's telling that some of the best chances he's had so far is with Edvinsson. Because Edvinsson knows that with Berggren on the ice if he jumps up, he'll get the puck.
And like Hudler before him, Berggren is getting the Babcock treatment from Newsy. Sticking him with players who are not anywhere near his offensive iq and creativity, so hes not getting points. And since hes not getting points, casuals think he sux. Its ridiculous, why not try him with Raymond and like Compher. Then maybe Larkin Tank and Cat. Maybe Copp, Kane and Ras...let Kane bounce a couple in off Copp, Abby style...but no, this is much too difficult for a multi million dollar coach to devise and practice with once or twice.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
This is just excuses. Good offensive players can produce regardless who they play with.
Not when you are a gifted offensive catalyst, then your game only shines with other talented, creative players. That sort of thing is non existant in players like Copp and Ras, they get their goals and points from grinding, not offensive iq and skill.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not when you are a gifted offensive catalyst, then your game only shines with other talented, creative players. That sort of thing is non existant in players like Copp and Ras, they get their goals and points from grinding, not offensive iq and skill.

If he is so good produce and force your way up the lineup. Point is, that he isn't good enough to force his way up the lineup.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
And like Hudler before him, Berggren is getting the Babcock treatment from Newsy. Sticking him with players who are not anywhere near his offensive iq and creativity, so hes not getting points. And since hes not getting points, casuals think he sux. Its ridiculous, why not try him with Raymond and like Compher. Then maybe Larkin Tank and Cat. Maybe Copp, Kane and Ras...let Kane bounce a couple in off Copp, Abby style...but no, this is much too difficult for a multi million dollar coach to devise and practice with once or twice.
So we need to play preferred minutes to NHL struggle bus Burgers over the greatest U.S. born hockey player and this will help us?

Berggren crowd he needs to play better for more opportunities. I think he helped himself a little last night when he wasn’t being sent down to the ice and getting bounced around. Problem is as you move up the lineup against better defenders they are better at precisely what is being done to him. He doesn’t deserve top 6 minutes right now, good news is he also doesn’t deserve to be benched like he did last year at this point either.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

billy-madison-comedy.gif

My guess is he gets fined for that. I cannot imagine the league looks on this well. No matter how innocuous Lalonde thought he was being. You cannot discuss other team’s contract negotiations in any of the pro leagues from within.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
So Gustafsson was a wasted contract already wasn’t it, I’ve been so pissed off with our pro scouting the past few years, just found out who the director of our pro scouting team is? Chris yzerman. lol we are really back to being a nepotism franchise again.
It’s a huge old boys club. Everybody in our front office is previous wings players or friends of them. And most of them suck ass at their jobs.

Reactions: lidstromiscool

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
So like, when Ras sauces it onto Berggren's stick in the slot and Berggren whiffs on it, that's an issue of Ras's dumb pass being uncreative?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I thought Berggren had his best game last night. I'd be fine giving him an extended look on that line even when Fischer gets back into the lineup. He needs to learn to stay on his feet, though.

Thought Lyon was dependable. Even if you're not thrilled with him he was still way better than Husso and someone is going to absorb 30 games if we ride Talbot as our 1a. Lyon looks like the guy so far.

Seider has been impressive to start the year. he's averaging 4 more minutes than the past two years, is still eating tough matchups, and has significantly upped his physical game. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been brought up but Seider is beating on people out there and playing closer to how many of us had envisioned. Hope Ed (and later Wallinder) take note and follow suite.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
I thought Berggren had his best game last night. I'd be fine giving him an extended look on that line even when Fischer gets back into the lineup. He needs to learn to stay on his feet, though.

Thought Lyon was dependable. Even if you're not thrilled with him he was still way better than Husso and someone is going to absorb 30 games if we ride Talbot as our 1a. Lyon looks like the guy so far.

Seider has been impressive to start the year. he's averaging 4 more minutes than the past two years, is still eating tough matchups, and has significantly upped his physical game. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been brought up but Seider is beating on people out there and playing closer to how many of us had envisioned. Hope Ed (and later Wallinder) take note and follow suite.
Mo has been our best player for sure.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
Where does this story that Berggren is a 'gifted offensive catalyst' at the NHL level come from lol? Who's telling tales out of school??

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Where does this story that Berggren is a 'gifted offensive catalyst' at the NHL level come from lol? Who's telling tales out of school??
If you can't see the plays he's making to 4th liners that don't know what's going on... that's on you.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Berg doesn't need to be top 6 to be effective but he does need somewhat offensive minded linemates.

I'd really like to see him with Ras and Tank or even Veleno and Tank. I think that could be a great 3rd line. Bergy is a playmaker and if you don't get him with a shooter of some sort you are under utilizing his skills.

The problem is that we need to get Kasper up because then that leaves a big hole on the 2nd line if Tank is removed and we keep DBC-Lark-Kane together. Compher doesn't have enough offensive instinct to push the play with Ray.

This was my issue with the spare parts line. Berg isn't Sprong. He isn't a guy that is going to go score on his own because of his shot. Berg's shot isn't bad but it isn't elite either. At the NHL level if he makes it will be as a playmaker primarily. If you stick him on a line with two meh/bad shooters you aren't going to see him be effective. He's a small offensive winger. I mean I'm no saying give him a pass if he just player disconnects on the defensive side of thing, but at best we are hoping for the playmaking version of DBC. If you stuck DBC on a checking line he'd be useless too.

Still hoping for:

DBC-Larkin-Kane
Kasper-Compher-Ray
Berg-Veleno-Tank
Motte-Copp-Ras

or once Fisher is back:

Berg-Ras-Tank
Motte-Copp-Fisher

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Berggren looks comfortable in space, which is to be expected. He's created some space for himself with cut-backs and patience, gone to the net, all of which is good, And he seems to be putting in an effort coming back, which is great. He and his line have gotten stuck in their own end a few times, hard to blame him but he's part of the problem on those shifts. That's also to be expected. What he hasn't been though is sharp on the good chances he's had or made something out of the half-chances. He has to do that before deserving to be moved up to top six minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad