Post-Game Talk: GAME 3 - BRUINS 3 Sharks 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I said in the other thread that it was an ugly effort.

The two goals they scored were pretty brutal. The Marchand snipe was nice, but yeah, not an impressive effort against a team that will probably end up 32/32.

Just didn’t like their compete level tonight at all.
These west coast trips can throw off the body clock (especially for the first game) so it was good they got to play SJ their first game of this trip

They should get more acclimated to the pacific time zone the longer they're out west, so I hope that will help them be sharper for the next game

..they're gonna need to be sharper to beat LA and the Ducks.....but so far so good

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
This team is definitely goal scoring challenged. Fortunately goaltending and D are good enough to get some wins like this and make up for the numerous sloppy errors. Errors have to be at a minimum unless they find a way to create new offense, which seems unlikely.
Monty has the D attacking more but idk they might get caught against good teams with quick transition and outlet. Dangerous.

As well as Zacha I also thought Beecher was very good. Definitely a keeper in his role and on the PK.

Lucic is slower than my grandma. Still love the guy though. Just not sure he should dress for every game.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
These west coast trips can throw off the body clock (especially for the first game) so it was good they got to play SJ their first game of this trip

They should get more acclimated to the pacific time zone the longer they're out west, so I hope that will help them be sharper for the next game

..they're gonna need to be sharper to beat LA and the Ducks.....but so far so good
Definitely past Potsey's bedtime... You're right though regarding the body clock and also too many days in between games. NHL scheduling is absolutely dogshit.

This team is definitely goal scoring challenged. Fortunately goaltending and D are good enough to get some wins like this and make up for the numerous sloppy errors. Errors have to be at a minimum unless they find a way to create new offense, which seems unlikely.
Monty has the D attacking more but idk they might get caught against good teams with quick transition and outlet. Dangerous.

As well as Zacha I also thought Beecher was very good. Definitely a keeper in his role and on the PK.

Lucic is slower than my grandma. Still love the guy though. Just not sure he should dress for every game.
Or, the rust settled in with Lucic over 5 days. Hopefully he has a much better game against his old team.

Last edited:

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
They still look out of sync to me and the details aren’t there yet. Awesome that we’ve won 3 games without firing on all cylinders but it won’t last if they don’t get it sorted.

I thought this was Poitras worst game. He doesn’t seem to have chemistry with Marchand (saw them run into each other a couple times) and that line was a momentum killer (6 shot attempts for/15 against). He got killed at the dot too. They had him playing wing late.
44% at the dot to Coyle's 40%

I saw Marchand run directly into Beecher, not 51. But, yes, not his best game so far. It wasn't terrible though.

Reactions: Gordoff

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

In-N-Out by Runway 24R at LAX.​

· Los Angeles, CA
Public

1697788189533.png

The charter was a bit bumpy but all is good now at 12:45 AM PDT

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Don't have too much to add to what's already been said. Some of the puck management was very poor, some of the efforts were sub-optimal, but the defense was pretty sound, Ullmark was his usual solid self, and the Zacha and Coyle lines dominated possession and the shot count when they were on the ice.

Monty asked for a strong effort in this one, and probably didn't really get it. Is that a problem? As a one-off I'd say not. Sometimes the players just know what needs to be done, and will have half an eye on the future schedule even if the coach would prefer otherwise. They won, and won quite easily, without wasting much energy with a b2b on the horizon including one much tougher opponent. Hard to fault the team too much for that.

What matters most is how they follow it up on Saturday. It's been rightly pointed out that this kind of performance won't beat the Kings, but reality is they weren't playing LA here and the players knew it. As such I don't think this told us too much about what they're really capable of. But tomorrow is where the rubber hits the road - the first good test against a proper high quality team. Let's see what they've got, and to what extent they can step it up and player faster hockey with a lot more intent and precision than we've seen so far.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Don't have too much to add to what's already been said. Some of the puck management was very poor, some of the efforts were sub-optimal, but the defense was pretty sound, Ullmark was his usual solid self, and the Zacha and Coyle lines dominated possession and the shot count when they were on the ice.

Monty asked for a strong effort in this one, and probably didn't really get it. Is that a problem? As a one-off I'd say not. Sometimes the players just know what needs to be done, and will have half an eye on the future schedule even if the coach would prefer otherwise. They won, and won quite easily, without wasting much energy with a b2b on the horizon including one much tougher opponent. Hard to fault the team too much for that.

What matters most is how they follow it up on Saturday. It's been rightly pointed out that this kind of performance won't beat the Kings, but reality is they weren't playing LA here and the players knew it. As such I don't think this told us too much about what they're really capable of. But tomorrow is where the rubber hits the road - the first good test against a proper high quality team. Let's see what they've got, and to what extent they can step it up and player faster hockey with a lot more intent and precision than we've seen so far.
@Aussie Bruin The Bruins traditionally do well at the arena formerly known as Staples and the trap game is usually in Anaheim.

The arena in San Jose was dead tonight - the crowd was announced at 12,000 but the locals said 8,000 tops. That won't be the case in LA.

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
I'm a bit scared of the LA game. Hopefully, Monty has a plan to prepare them but I think we're going to see a deflating loss we all knew/know that it's going to be that kind of season.
Very good game by Zacha. I think having DeBrusk on his line makes him play faster which helps him be more effective and dangerous.
Hopefully the LA game is where Zacha and DeBrusk get on the core sheet and help us continue winning.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
So I guess it’s not worth watching the game because the team sucked and Poitras has no chemistry with Marchand after one game and they are sloppy and lazy. Oh yea and Zacha and Coyle suck. Did I catch all the key points here?
They don't ask how, they ask how many! A win is a win

The boys are trying develop chemistry, it'll come. If we were losing and they were putting in this type of effort, I would get the haters, but christ, we're off to a 3-0 start in the post Bergy-Krejci era and its still not good enough for some people eh?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
They don't ask how, they ask how many! A win is a win

The boys are trying develop chemistry, it'll come. If we were losing and they were putting in this type of effort, I would get the haters, but christ, we're off to a 3-0 start in the post Bergy-Krejci era and its still not good enough for some people eh?
We are on the same page. 3-0 is a great place to be while they sort things out. A 3-1 win after over a week off is great in my book.

@Alicat - The most amusing part of the charter was several players were watching Dangle screaming after the Leafs loss.
Hahaha. I’ll have to check his latest rant out.

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
So I guess it’s not worth watching the game because the team sucked and Poitras has no chemistry with Marchand after one game and they are sloppy and lazy. Oh yea and Zacha and Coyle suck. Did I catch all the key points here?
I thought the first period was good (as another poster said) and Zacha played well, including doing a great job hustling to get back to help stop a 2 on 1 scoring chance for SJ. JVR is on an 82 goal pace, which obviously will not continue, but at 1M he looks like a steal with 3 goals in 3 games.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I thought the first period was good (as another poster said) and Zacha played well, including doing a great job hustling to get back to help stop a 2 on 1 scoring chance for SJ. JVR is on an 82 goal pace, which obviously will not continue, but at 1M he looks like a steal with 3 goals in 3 games.
I am excited for JVR. I was surprised when he signed but he fits Monty's system and fills a key need in front of the net where the B's have struggled over the past few seasons. He's certainly going to have down games but I'm optimistic that he'll end up the steal of free agency at the end of the year.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I didn't watch the game, but as I predicted, the Poitras/Marchand pairing was not successful. It's too much to ask a 19 year old to play with a superstar captain. Poitras needs to be free to play his own game.

I would either revert the lines to the original ones, which I thought overall were successful, or go with the following:

Marchand/Coyle/Geekie
DeBrusk/Zacha/Pastrnak
JVR/Poitras/Frederic
Lucic/Beecher/Lauko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad