Post-Game Talk: GAME 3 - BRUINS 3 Sharks 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ned Bouhalassa

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
Poitras was floating around like a 60-goal scorer waiting for a pass, not like a Bergeron replacement. Where’s the drive?
Worried.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Thank goodness for condensed games on YouTube. (Say what you will about living in the future, it’s got its perks)

Woke up with a bad migraine so didn’t get to watch any of this on DVR.

On pace to break their records from last year.

If nothing else, these points they bank against the weaker teams will help build a cushion. Better 3-0 and looking meh than starting 1-1-1.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Obviously not the best game we ever played, but a win is a win. It was bizarro world Superman out there with these goals. Happy to get a win. Thanks for joining us on the late night crew, folks! Join us again for more tiredness, trivia, intermission music, and lots of delirious posting! Great start to the season. And no injuries are always a good thing!

Goodnight to all my little petite patates!
See you soon!

You already know the drill!
View attachment 755106

Cue the music!

@Mione134 I couldn't stop laughing at your "don't stop dancing" vid you posted game thread. Good one.

Reactions: Mione134

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
So I guess it’s not worth watching the game because the team sucked and Poitras has no chemistry with Marchand after one game and they are sloppy and lazy. Oh yea and Zacha and Coyle suck. Did I catch all the key points here?
Wouldn’t go that far maybe just what the coach says
We just need to get more consistent in how we want to play."

Jim Montgomery on if there was enough to like in the team game.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I thought the 3rd line and Zacha looked good. The top 4D, too. And Ullmark is really looking like last years Ullmark was not a fluke, which is huge.

DeBrusk hasn't really found his game in any of the three games. I am a smidge worried about his mental state with his contract situation. I thought he was going to come out on fire to lock in playing with Pasta and he just seemed a step behind the play mentally.

Poitras was off his game in this one, too. Slow and sloppy and looked like the game was too fast for him at times. Just didn't look at all like the same guy. Big game for Poitras against LA, though. If he has two stinkers in a row that doesn't bode well for him sticking around for 82.

I wouldn't pull the plug on him with Marchand after one game, though. I saw two cerebral players not understanding how to play together, yet, but they will figure it out with time and it could work very nicely.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
3 games in 9 days. Slapped right into a west coast trip. Still trying to find their stride and chemistry.

A wins a win. I’m not worried about this team. And it’s Friday. Heck yea.

Serpico

Aug 16, 2020
NYC
Traveling from NYC to the west coast f***s me up for work and I sit with a laptop. It's weird they are doing this trip so early in the season.

Reactions: Gordoff

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Don't have too much to add to what's already been said. Some of the puck management was very poor, some of the efforts were sub-optimal, but the defense was pretty sound, Ullmark was his usual solid self, and the Zacha and Coyle lines dominated possession and the shot count when they were on the ice.

Monty asked for a strong effort in this one, and probably didn't really get it. Is that a problem? As a one-off I'd say not. Sometimes the players just know what needs to be done, and will have half an eye on the future schedule even if the coach would prefer otherwise. They won, and won quite easily, without wasting much energy with a b2b on the horizon including one much tougher opponent. Hard to fault the team too much for that.

What matters most is how they follow it up on Saturday. It's been rightly pointed out that this kind of performance won't beat the Kings, but reality is they weren't playing LA here and the players knew it. As such I don't think this told us too much about what they're really capable of. But tomorrow is where the rubber hits the road - the first good test against a proper high quality team. Let's see what they've got, and to what extent they can step it up and player faster hockey with a lot more intent and precision than we've seen so far.

Zacha was excellent start to finish. Probably his best game at center for Boston. He needed an effort like that because I felt he was mediocre first two.

Coyle had a good 1st period and mediocre second and really weak 3rd. He turned the
puck over several times in the 3rd in his own end and was poor at the dot. Pretty clearly he is going to be a big downgrade over #37 when closing out games in the last minute.

May not want #51 in the top 6 against LA matched against Kopitar or Dubois who are big talented centers.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
They still look out of sync to me and the details aren’t there yet. Awesome that we’ve won 3 games without firing on all cylinders but it won’t last if they don’t get it sorted.

I thought this was Poitras worst game. He doesn’t seem to have chemistry with Marchand (saw them run into each other a couple times) and that line was a momentum killer (6 shot attempts for/15 against). He got killed at the dot too. They had him playing wing late.
Love the kid and think he has a big future. However, I agree that last night he looked pretty rough. Had moments where he is Krejci-like with his patience and vision (again, cue big future) but he also made some truly brutal passes and turnovers.

It's what you get when you put an 18 (19?) year old teenager in the Center role on the top 6. Going to be times where it is rough.

I just wish there was an option beyond two ends of the extreme spectrum (NHL/OHL) Such a silly rule. How can a kid play in the NHL but not the AHL?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I'm going to say it now but JVR - Coyle - Frederic is the best 3rd line since Ryder - Kelly - Peverley
JVR-Coyle-Freddie were absolute money last night. I think you could well be right. Size, puck management, nice passing, and JVR is like a bloodhound around the goal mouth.

Zacha was also absolute money last night. If you watch one thing, it's worth watching him backcheck on a 2-1 last night when B's pinched. It was in the second. Real effort and speed. Impressive.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
I made it a little ways into the second, but I thought they looked pretty good too.

I didn’t see as much negative as some people have posted about, and think the lay-off probably had something to do with that anyway.
This agree with, to me it's too early to be critical about their game.
There was lots of changes to the roster, it will take time for things to work out.
Despite that, they are still winning, it's a marathon, not a sprint!. 82 games in 7 months, they will work it out.
GO BRUINS!.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think last year spoiled us a bit. (RS obviously).

Maybe this is just what this team will be. Tremendous defensively, but a team that will often win in a less than aesthetically pleasing way.

I’ve never been a fan of the idea that:

Well if they play like this vs. team X, they can’t win because there are too many variables. Maybe team X also plays terrible game when they meet?

After what we saw in the playoffs last year, just get in and go from there.

3-0 is about the best start you can have toward that end.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I think people were a bit negative about what they saw last night because of the fact that Monty called them out for having a lazy practice.

Then they went on to score a goal and then coast the rest of the game. Outside of the Marchand snipe, the Pasta goal was pure luck (hey, i'll take it, don't get me wrong) and the JVR goal was a loose puck that no one picked up in the crease.

The final 2-3 minutes were infuriating watching them continually ice the puck on lazy, dumb plays. You cap it off with Marchand receiving a nice pass from McAvoy, skating to center, trying to dipsy doodle around a defender, turn the puck over and take a hooking penalty. It's just lazy details.

Lets see how they handle themselves against likely playoff teams instead of likely bottom feeders.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
JVR-Coyle-Freddie were absolute money last night. I think you could well be right. Size, puck management, nice passing, and JVR is like a bloodhound around the goal mouth.

Zacha was also absolute money last night. If you watch one thing, it's worth watching him backcheck on a 2-1 last night when B's pinched. It was in the second. Real effort and speed. Impressive.
I plan to watch it after work. I enjoy watching a player's defensive game. It was something I noticed about Zacha off the jump last year and he got even better as the season went on. Krejci was always defensively sound and that part of his game was criminally underrated. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he worked with Zacha on that aspect of his game.

I am encouraged by what I've seen from Zacha thus far and I hope it continues. He looks like he's having fun out there every single night. Cautiously optimistic about him.

Coyle as the 3rd line C is absolute pefection. He is a moose when it comes to puck protection and he has great vision on the ice. He and Freddie just work so well together. JVR parking himself in front of the net each shift is going to really pay off for that line. I really need Monty to leave it alone.

We won't be what we were last year but we aren't as bad as some are making them out to be. I look at tomorrow as our first benchmark game. Can they implement what they've been working on all of camp and come out and compete each and every shift. If the effort anddetails are there and the penalties are low, I call it a successful game win or lose.

This is the first real dose of pressure for Poitras. I am excited to see how he handles it. I do have a gut feeling that he will be going back down if he has another rough night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad