GDT: Game 3 - 4-NAS vs 1-CAR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Great game to watch even though we lost.

I'd play Gardiner. I don't think he's been bad. Have to say that Lajoie was ok too.

I'd shuffle fwd lines a bit. Maybe Geekie in but there's no one to take out so.. But at least I'd try maybe Necas with Finns. Svech wih Tro, Nino to get 2nd line going.

Reactions: zman77

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Rod has never hesitated to give them an earful all season long so I’m sure the refs are well acquainted with him and he likely already has a reputation one way or another. I doubt it’ll make it much worse, and there’s a chance things will balance out so there’s no harm in him trying.

I just hate the whole “the refs screwed us” mentality. If we’re a presidents trophy level team the Predators should be beaten. Refs or no refs. No excuses. Be the better team and it all works out.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
This is what I'm curious about, too. And, I honestly don't know the answer. If Rod is getting a rep as a "whiner" as some have speculated, will more "whining" help?

I guess we'll find out lol. But, I definitely get his gripe either way.

I mean, it didn’t help the last time he did it. And it won’t likely help this time.

And if coaches have some leeway in the playoffs and can basically use this “call out the officials” trump card to try and swing a series, it seems foolish to use it after Game 3 in Round 1, unless they’re in dire straits like the Blues are.

Which is another reason why I don’t like RBA doing this, because anyone who has watched the Blues/Avs series can tell you that officiating isn’t the reason the Blues are down. It turns out the President Trophy winning Avs are a scary ****ing team.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I mean, it didn’t help the last time he did it. And it won’t likely help this time.

And if coaches have some leeway in the playoffs and can basically use this “call out the officials” trump card to try and swing a series, it seems foolish to use it after Game 3 in Round 1, unless they’re in dire straits like the Blues are.

Which is another reason why I don’t like RBA doing this, because anyone who has watched the Blues/Avs series can tell you that officiating isn’t the reason the Blues are down. It turns out the President Trophy winning Avs are a scary ****ing team.

That's just not RBA, though. He speaks his mind and always has. There's coaches that will never say a word, and never make a difference either, but Rod is a difference maker. It's what he does. If it's bad for him right now, maybe it changes something eventually for someone. As @bleedgreen said it can't make it much worse. I mean they had what 14 PIM last night? It's approaching an entire periods worth in time. There's only so many minutes in a game to sit in the box. :sarcasm:

That being said, as I mentioned before the best course right now is be as disciplined as possible, and control what you can and let the chips fall where they may. I do think Rod needs to avoid the topic moving forward. He said his piece. No reason to pile on. Just go win.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I guess my question is:

If coaches believe the officials are favoring the other team in terms of penalty calling, why do they believe publicly questioning the official’s ability to do their job will somehow fix that?

Like, on a hockey level, I get why they do that. They’ve got to show faith in their team, back their players, make it seem like there’s some X factor out of their control to explain the loss. I get that.

But if they’re wanting any actual change in how penalties are called, basically calling the refs incompetent seems like it’d have the opposite effect.

If it has any effect at all, it just proves his point.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Was staal fined for the trip that was called interference that led to the 5 on 3? Because while I can definitely see how that could be called a slew foot, it wasn't called a trip by the officials and seemed way less dangerous than say, the slew foot pesce delivered earlier this season

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If it has any effect at all, it just proves his point.

Yes, if the penalty calls suddenly start to even up, it proves his point. Or it shows that a team that flipped the puck over the glass twice (technically 3 times, but one didn’t get called) in a playoff game probably won’t do that every game (hopefully).

And if the penalty calls remain lopsided, it proves RBA was correct that the officials are biased. Or it shows that the Canes were once again caught flat footed and were forced to hook and trip because they weren’t playing the way they should.

You know, either or.

3CanesInTheBox

no touch my guys
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
Was staal fined for the trip that was called interference that led to the 5 on 3? Because while I can definitely see how that could be called a slew foot, it wasn't called a trip by the officials and seemed way less dangerous than say, the slew foot pesce delivered earlier this season

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think it could be for.

ETA: Honestly I prefer arguing over this than E*** H**** lol.

Reactions: Tryamw

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
Wait imma let you finish but—

Yet nothing for the Nashville player that was punching Martinook repeatedly while Marty was laying on the ice. Makes sense.

While we're at it, how about a fine for Haula or the Nashville player last game that was spinning around like a ballerina for bad acting with their embellishments (I'm being a smart ass)? Oh that's right, only we got penalized by the refs for embellishment. Whoops.

Yeah, we just need to stOP taKinG pEnaLitIes. Like when a Nashville player skated his chest into Hakenpaa's stick like it was a limbo bar and Hawk got penalized. Our guys just need to put their sticks above their heads for now on so they don't tempt the Preds to skate into them. That's not to say we haven't made dumb mistakes though.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Chip doesn’t work for the team and we have arguably the most homer announcers in the league. Tripp without John has been unleashed all year and Big Rig has his hands full learning the gig. He’s not going to reign it in and at times plays along with it.

I think it's safe to say pretty much everybody takes Tripp with a grain of salt. He plays the outrage game a bit too often.

Still, there's really no need for the reporter in the team's city to call out the team's color guy for doing his job. Tripp's over-the-top reactions are one thing, but he generally does point out exactly what is happening in those situations ie the base-level information is accurate.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Saying Rod and other coaches shouldn't call out atrocious and DANGEROUS officiating (TT missed 30sh games from an unpenalized headshot) seems nonsensical to me. If you don't call out bad police, you won't see improvements or changes. If you don't call out bad management, work will be terrible. If you don't call out an abuser, you'll never stop the abuse. Yes, calling out can make things worse, but so will just acquiescing to the bullshit.

Wilson goes psychotic on a whole line of Rangers with no consequences (minor fine I'd nothing to him). Benning got 2 min for pounding a defenseless and prone Martinook on the ice (who also got 2 min). If the officiating gets worse or continues bc of what Rod said, they're just proving his point that it's a farce. If it gets better than he made a difference. It NEEDS to be called out and addressed. Maybe the NHLPA picks up to stand up for the players and force improvement

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I could stomach all this 'we just need to be disciplined' if we were playing that much more over the line than Nashville, but we are not. Both teams are going with the same intensity, both teams are doing the same stickwork, they're both playing equally over the line, and hell, I'd go so far as to say Nashville is probably pushing it a bit further with their after the whistle shenanigans. Where I have a problem is that we're being called for it and they are not. Period.

I don't give a shit that their PP sucks. I don't care that we tend to generate more scoring chances on the PK than they do on the PP. Just call it even. And when our player gets his stick and hands slashed on a breakaway in OT that prevents a shot on goal that you don't call, don't f***ing follow it up with calling a weak penalty on his team for the only penalty in said OT. And don't even get me started on the icing where apparently the guy wasn't able to play the puck when it literally landed at his feet.

There is some serious bullshit going on in this playoff right now to the point where it does make you question whether or not NHL officiating has something against RBA or the Canes in general. I've never seen this kind of double standard in a series between two teams playing the same style before. This isn't even like the Boston series a couple years ago, because at least we knew game management was to blame. We're just getting bent over right now.

Thing is, we're still up 2-1 in the series and probably should still win in 5 or 6. But it does make you worry about future rounds if we're already getting screwed like this in the first.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Yes. That’s the play. The one I was told wasn’t even a penalty. Sometimes the homer glasses are out, and that’s ok. But man...

Dec 30, 2013
Saying Rod and other coaches shouldn't call out atrocious and DANGEROUS officiating (TT missed 30sh games from an unpenalized headshot) seems nonsensical to me. If you don't call out bad police, you won't see improvements or changes. If you don't call out bad management, work will be terrible. If you don't call out an abuser, you'll never stop the abuse. Yes, calling out can make things worse, but so will just acquiescing to the bullshit.

Wilson goes psychotic on a whole line of Rangers with no consequences (minor fine I'd nothing to him). Benning got 2 min for pounding a defenseless and prone Martinook on the ice (who also got 2 min). If the officiating gets worse or continues bc of what Rod said, they're just proving his point that it's a farce. If it gets better than he made a difference. It NEEDS to be called out and addressed. Maybe the NHLPA picks up to stand up for the players and force improvement

It doesn't surprise me. A lot of people were taught to never question authority and to lick any boot offered.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yes. That’s the play. The one I was told wasn’t even a penalty. Sometimes the homer glasses are out, and that’s ok. But man...

The homer glasses have hit this board hard over the last little bit. Like, I get it, but the idea that there's some kind of conspiracy against the Canes is just so far out there.

If we ignore the penalties the officials HAVE to call (puck over the glass), last night's tilt had a 5-3 penalty ratio. That's not some egregious disparity, especially in a game that went into double OT.

If this was more in line with that Panthers game earlier in the year (something like 9 straight calls against the Canes when they took the lead?), then I'd be more inclined to grab a pitchfork and torch.

But from what I've seen in this series thus far? Both teams have gotten away with things they probably should have been penalized for, and the Canes are taking more of the type of infractions the officials are keeping an eye out for.

It's the playoffs. Most slashes and crosschecks are going to be let go. It's harder to let hooking, tripping, and interference go, because those hinder opposing players and generate scoring chances that wouldn't exist otherwise. The Canes need to figure that out before they start complaining about the officiating. It's as simple as that.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
The homer glasses have hit this board hard over the last little bit. Like, I get it, but the idea that there's some kind of conspiracy against the Canes is just so far out there.

If we ignore the penalties the officials HAVE to call (puck over the glass), last night's tilt had a 5-3 penalty ratio. That's not some egregious disparity, especially in a game that went into double OT.

If this was more in line with that Panthers game earlier in the year (something like 9 straight calls against the Canes when they took the lead?), then I'd be more inclined to grab a pitchfork and torch.

But from what I've seen in this series thus far? Both teams have gotten away with things they probably should have been penalized for, and the Canes are taking more of the type of infractions the officials are keeping an eye out for.

It's the playoffs. Most slashes and crosschecks are going to be let go. It's harder to let hooking, tripping, and interference go, because those hinder opposing players and generate scoring chances that wouldn't exist otherwise. The Canes need to figure that out before they start complaining about the officiating. It's as simple as that.
I'MA JUST SAY THAT REFS SUCK ASS, GAME MANAGEMENT IS STUPID, BUT THERE IS NO CONSPIRACY, AND EITHER WAY WE SHOULD MOVE ON. WHINING DOESN'T SUIT US.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia

Funnily enough the three calls on Nashville, a slash and two crosschecks.

And I know you say most not all are let go, just find it humorous :)

although I really do hate that “it’s the playoff nonsense” just call the damn game the same regardless of the regular season or playoffs.

Reactions: geehaad

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

Charron was the ref in that Panthers game too.

And the puck over glass penalty that swung the game that they HAD to call, hit the f***ing boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad