GDT: Game 26: Coyotes @ Avalanche - 7pm (AZ) - FSA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Here's a guy I have heard referred to many times as a student of the game and a really smart player:

Jets star Mark Scheifele has no time for 'hogwash' analytics

Analytics are for people like me that have never played the game. :laugh: Seriously, high-end players have a sense for who is playing well and who isn't, as well as the ability to critique their own game (beyond what they say at pressers, which are mostly pointless).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Here's a guy I have heard referred to many times as a student of the game and a really smart player:

Jets star Mark Scheifele has no time for 'hogwash' analytics
I think analytics has a place in sports, but how much I don't know. Like they said, hockey is fast, and it's one thing to say something after the fact, quite the other to do it in the heat of the battle. Hockey is FAST, and you always here that a player "has to slow the game down" to succeed.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I completely agree. Tocchet rides Kuemper right into the ground every season. He’s either short-sighted and gutless or short-sighted and dumb. Either way, same result. Just last season that behavior dropped us from 1st to worst. And he STILL didn’t learn. Several of us were begging for Kuemper to get a rest just before his injury last season and again just before his injuries this season. If us armchair QBs can see the trouble coming a mile away, why can’t Tocchet? He sucks.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I completely agrees. Tocchet rides Kuemper right into the ground every season. He’s either short-sighted and gutless or short-sighted and dumb. Either way, same result. Just last season that behavior dropped us from 1st to worst. And he STILL didn’t learn. Several of us were begging for Kuemper to get a rest just before his injury last season and again just before his injuries this season. If us armchair QBs can see the trouble coming a mile away, why can’t Tocchet? He sucks.
Your thought is just as foolish as XX. Coaches all the time ask players how they feel. IF Kuemper did not feel right or was tired he would have told RT. No one can predict an injury, and if you can you are in the wrong business.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Your thought is just as foolish as XX. Coaches all the time ask players how they feel. IF Kuemper did not feel right or was tired he would have told RT. No one can predict an injury, and if you can you are in the wrong business.
It’s pretty basic common knowledge in all sports that this is a coaching responsibility. If it’s escaped your attention this long, I’m not going to be the one to help you see what’s plain as day.

Reactions: XX

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
Are you trying to tell us goalies are normal people? How do you feel vs do you want to quit and give up? To a professional athlete? Is there any possition in all of major sports that needs to be 100% than a dependable goalie? And to imply predicting injuries is impossible is ridiculous. Waiting for injuries to occur instead of precautionary is not a good philosophy for a coach.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

You can't predict an individual injury, but everyone knows that the risk of an injury to a goalie increases when he is ridden harder. This is particularly true for a Coyotes' goalie that has to do all sort of acrobatic saves due to poor defensive structure.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think analytics has a place in sports, but how much I don't know.

It depends on what particular game/sport the analytics are applied to. Games like baseball or golf, and even football to a somewhat lesser extent, lend themselves to statistical analysis far better than does ice hockey.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
A Coyote regulation win on Wednesday and Arizona moves into a (total points) playoff spot ahead of Colorado nearing the mid-point of the season.

Who saw that coming?

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
A Coyote regulation win on Wednesday and Arizona moves into a (total points) playoff spot ahead of Colorado nearing the mid-point of the season.

Who saw that coming?
I will say... in a year that I viewed as a "let's see what we got" year, I am pleasantly surprised. Yes there have been games in which they have looked completely outplayed, but still get results.

Seeing players like Garland, Chychrun, Schmaltz, Dvorak and more recently, Keller take another step is promising to what the next couple of years will bring. These developments make me feel not so defeated by the fact they dont have a 1st once again.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Are you trying to tell us goalies are normal people? How do you feel vs do you want to quit and give up? To a professional athlete? Is there any possition in all of major sports that needs to be 100% than a dependable goalie? And to imply predicting injuries is impossible is ridiculous. Waiting for injuries to occur instead of precautionary is not a good philosophy for a coach.

You can't predict an individual injury, but everyone knows that the risk of an injury to a goalie increases when he is ridden harder. This is particularly true for a Coyotes' goalie that has to do all sort of acrobatic saves due to poor defensive structure.
Athletes are competitive, want to play. Describe precautionary. It's easy talking about an injury after the fact, or not knowing all the facts on what a coach did or did not do. All players risk injury on every shift, and the more you play the greater risk of injury, and that goes for every single player on the team. Some players are more injury prone than others, and no one should know this better than the Yotes. Maybe RT should take precautionary measures and rest Garland, or Chick, or DVO?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It depends on what particular game/sport the analytics are applied to. Games like baseball or golf, and even football to a somewhat lesser extent, lend themselves to statistical analysis far better than does ice hockey.
That's your opinion, but I haven't seen any proof to suggest such.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Athletes are competitive, want to play. Describe precautionary. It's easy talking about an injury after the fact, or not knowing all the facts on what a coach did or did not do. All players risk injury on every shift, and the more you play the greater risk of injury, and that goes for every single player on the team. Some players are more injury prone than others, and no one should know this better than the Yotes. Maybe RT should take precautionary measures and rest Garland, or Chick, or DVO?
It’s like this is the first season you’ve followed. If Garland, Chychrun or Dvorak played sixty minutes per game, yes they’d need a rest.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012

Who saw that coming?

I like your optimism, but we're still a long shot to make the playoffs.

Based on where the 4th place team currently sits from a pt% standpoint, it will take 68 pts to secure the 4th place spot. We, therefore, need 41 pts over the remaining 31 games. Roughly 20 wins out of 31. Doable...but :dunno:

edit: Of course that number could drop. The 4th place team in the Division last season had a 0.565 pt%. I'm no mathematician, but the fact that all games are within the division may change the calculus.

upload_2021-3-9_11-8-39.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Dirty Old Man

Still processing...
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I like your optimism, but we're still a long shot to make the playoffs.

Based on where the 4th place team currently sits from a pt% standpoint, it will take 68 pts to secure the 4th place spot. We, therefore, need 41 pts over the remaining 31 games. Roughly 20 wins out of 31. Doable...but :dunno:

edit: Of course that number could drop. The 4th place team in the Division last season had a 0.565 pt%. I'm no mathematician, but the fact that all games are within the division may change the calculus.

View attachment 405267

Right now, I think it's going more or less to form, what we expected...
1) LA is overachieving a bit
2) MIN is +6 but have played only 7 of their 24 games (if i counted correctly) against VGK/CLR/STL
3) ARI is +2 but have played 14 of our 24 games against VGK/CLR/STL...

It would be interesting to see what the RPIs are. just for grins.

So, halfway through, I think we're still in this hunt in May. Might get in, might not. But that makes us selling in a month from now less likely.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Correct. I absolutely don't understand how this has managed to escape your attention all of these years. It's baffling.
It didn't, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt.:)

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ

"Precautionary" would be comparing how many consecutive games you're riding your starting goalie against other coaches, taking into account the workload (scoring chances). There are many years of data to show what's appropriate, and at what level goalies often get injured.

Not really a difficult concept to grasp, but I'm sure you'll come back with some "interesting" logic in your reply.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad