GDT: Game 26: Coyotes @ Avalanche - 7pm (AZ) - FSA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
"Precautionary" would be comparing how many consecutive games you're riding your starting goalie against other coaches, taking into account the workload (scoring chances). There are many years of data to show what's appropriate, and at what level goalies often get injured.

Not really a difficult concept to grasp, but I'm sure you'll come back with some "interesting" logic in your reply.
Injuries can happen ANY time. Look at both Raanta and Kuemper this year.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Let’s go with the odds of those injuries happening could have been reduced.

Sure, we could use the logic that you can't get hurt if you're not playing...but the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. :D

I'm not seeing evidence that Kuemper is being ridden harder than other #1 goalies.

upload_2021-3-10_7-58-5.png

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sure, we could use the logic that you can't get hurt if you're not playing...but the bathroom is the most dangerous room in the house. :D

I'm not seeing evidence that Kuemper is being ridden harder than other #1 goalies.

View attachment 405715
With Kuemper down, it's a great time for Rant's to play great and pump up his trade value. He said he feels great, fingers crossed, so hopefully this could be a silver lining for us. Rant's is a great goalie when healthy.

ArizonaCoyotes19

May 28, 2008
Winnipeg
hockeylists.com
So much negativity in this thread. Does it suck that Kuemper is out? Yes but it's not like he has been lights out this season. I think Raanta's play will be better with more action. Obviously he has major injury problems. However, look what he did in first season in Arizona. He came back at the end of the year and played incredible. Who says that can't happen again?

Reactions: Name Nameless

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

View attachment 405715
When you back-date to the injury, only five goalies had a larger share of starts per team game played (all are younger than him). There are also only five guys with more starts following just a single day's rest. His sv% in those games is only .905 vs .962 in games with two days rest. So you've got a guy who's 30, has an injury history, and plays better with rest. You also have a VERY competent back-up in Raanta. But Tocchet makes the choice to continue going to him at a pace we've seen lead to issues in the past.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I think it's more that we know he's a bit more injury prone of late, and we *shouldn't* shoot for a 70 game starting rate with Kuemper. Especially when Raanta (if he plays anyway) and Hill are good.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Well, Kuemper has started 55 games ONCE in his career and that was a couple seasons ago with the Yotes. Next highest games started was LAST YEAR at 29 starts.

So, playing him at a 70 game rate when he's never gotten past 55 seems ridiculous. On top of the fact of him getting injured in the most recent season... just not smart player management.

Goalies usually have different types of injuries than skaters, I'd say. Their job seems to require a lot more muscle flexibility and mobility. So they should be treated differently based on that.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Excellent, maybe we can make that 2 games in a row. Everyone knows Raanta will be hurt mid 2nd quarter and Hill will need to take over. Avs should have 20 sog on Raanta by then and being behind will press the last half of the game to get 20 sog on Hill, but Coyotes still win and add to the record books. Have to enjoy the little things.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad