Post-Game Talk: Game #24: Canucks 6, Jackets 2 - 6 goals? That's enough goals for 6 games!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
2 goals on 16 shots, letting first shot on net in......

Not good enough , luckily we were playing Columbus.

I disagre, althoug this win gave us some lucky bounces, I think it's the start of something better.

I still don't think this team has what it takes to win the cup, but maybe a couple additions couldput us in that category

Kessley Snipes*

Do you guys think Torts will give Luongo the nod tomorrow night against Chicago? Or will he go with Lack?

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
The best we can hope for is he becomes useful and effective. Second best is being healthy for trading/buyout.

There is no trading period for him. The only option left is to buy him out.

Give him his money and tell him not to let the door hit him in the ass on the way out.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Do you guys think Torts will give Luongo the nod tomorrow night against Chicago? Or will he go with Lack?

Your guess is as good as mine. On one hand, the Blackhawks are our rivals, one of the top teams. They can fill the net with ease and generally you would go with your #1. The back-to-back is at home after 2 days rest, and Luongo didn't see much work Friday night.

On the other hand, this may be a scheduled start. Torts would want to show confidence in his back-up. Lack has been pretty solid after a somewhat shaky pre-season, and it would be good to get him some work. It wouldn't be acceptable to risk injuring Luongo due to over-work.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I go Lack. Show faith, and give him a game on HNIC.

Give Luongo the nod against the Kings imo.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
How many posters complaining about Kassian alsoncomplained about AV notnplaying guys after a mistake is made? My guess is a good number. He made a couple of mistakes. He alsonmade nice plays all night long. Hes a young player who is going to make mistakes especiallynon the defensive side of the Puck. I'm ecstatic that instead of benchinh him after that first mistake Torts put him back out next shift.
This just in.... young players make mistakes!

Also confused how the second goal was anything other than Garrison losing his man and Luongo kicking out a juicy rebound. Nothing to do with Kassian. Don't confuse gliding in some case with lack of effort when it is really "that guy is covered and he isn't my man anyways".

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
i loved when garrett quipped a few games back that the sabres are the best 'corsi' team because jim corsi's their goaltending coach...

yes. that is exactly how the stat works.

:laugh: He scoffed at it too then, if I remember correctly. Not too surprised though.

Oh yes on the offensive side of the puck they have been consistent despite not getting the results. They have been piling on a tonne of shots and have been fairly unlucky to not get a handful more goals. On the defensive side though I've seen a lot of missed assignments. D-men losing track of their checks, leaving guys alone in the slot or up front on the doorstep, sloppy turnovers by the forwards and D in the midst of controlling the play leading to against the flow of play goals against.

I think that this game's breakout was down to a few factors. They were down Dubinsky and Wisniewski. Bobrovsky is having a rough season and was really off tonight. Columbus tried to play a defensive road game and it unraveled in the 2nd to a hungry Canucks team.

Yeah, there have been slip-ups here and there but I thought they did a good job of limiting chances for the most part. Torts said they'd been keeping it at 11 or 12 chances against until Florida, which is pretty good if that's a per-game total.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah, there have been slip-ups here and there but I thought they did a good job of limiting chances for the most part. Torts said they'd been keeping it at 11 or 12 chances against until Florida, which is pretty good if that's a per-game total.

that's a good total. I recall Scotty Bowman, who seems to know a thing about coaching, as saying that around that 10-12 level is something he considers to be an excellent game on the defensive side of the puck. You want to be under 15 and anything in the 20 range is bad.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sedins - a game they clearly took over. Far and away the best players in the game. Their shifts kept turning the game back in our favour.

You could literally see this happening - Columbus had been having a few consecutive shifts in our end and the moment the Sedins came over the boards after having not been on for a little bit, they managed to push the puck up ice and that led to the 5-1 goal. The team regained momentum after that.

I also thought the team made more of a conscientious effort to skate the puck in over the attacking blue line with control rather than resorting to dump/tip-ins if they could avoid it, which is really nice to see.

that's a good total. I recall Scotty Bowman, who seems to know a thing about coaching, as saying that around that 10-12 level is something he considers to be an excellent game on the defensive side of the puck. You want to be under 15 and anything in the 20 range is bad.

Ah, there we go. Nice.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I hope Lu is playing. The rivalry just isn't the same without Lu vs Kane.

Lu has been through enough with this team. At least let him playing in a game that you know he'd kill to play in. We all know Chicago is one of the reasons why Lu was ever on the trading block. They broke him down and exposed this team. Go get em' Lu!!!!

The rest of the team better show up. I'm still pissed that no one has had a talk with duncan keith for assaulting Dan sedin.

Last edited:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Luongo - Looked very focused and was critical in killing off some of the penalties. Goal tending is just not an issue with this team.

I feel I must contest this portion of your review. Looking back at the GDT, while some were accusatory of Lu on the 1st goal, some others recognized the multiple errors contributing to the goal (including myself). However, beyond that point, and including the 2nd goal, Luongo was far from "focused". The two reaching incidents where he is down early and the shooters missed wide, he has no reason to be prone. Then, there was a play where the puck went side to side in the zone, Luongo went down, and spun around to get up. Why? Lastly, there were 2 plays where he came out to play the puck late and turned it over along the wall.

Luongo looked shaky. There are other posters who cite the same. 2 goals on 16 shots as well... I'm hoping he does not get the start tonight.

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
I hope Lu is playing. The rivalry just isn't the same without Lu vs Kane.

Lu has been through enough with this team. At least let him playing in a game that you know he'd kill to play in. We all know Chicago is one of the reasons why Lu was ever on the trading block. They broke him down and exposed this team. Go get em' Lu!!!!

The rest of the team better show up. I'm still pissed that no one has had a talk with duncan keith for assaulting Dan sedin.

Same here...maybe tonight?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
At this stage of his career, Luongo is excellent with a shooter bearing down on him, but he's below average moving laterally. His angles and ability stop the first shot is as good as anyone in the league IMO but he just cannot go post to post quick enough or while staying upright.

IMO Eddie Lack is probbaly right there with Lou in terms of ability. Lack, like Luongo is good at taking away the net with his size. Unlike Luongo, he can move laterally without falling down. Wouldn't be surprised in the least if Lack is deemed the better player by the end of the season - though Tortorella would have to give him more opportunities to prove it, something that may not happen.

Kassian's performance was very uneven but he also had the nice setup in the 1st to go along with his goal. Unfortunately, his linemates haven't converted a single one of his passes this season. Would still like to see Kassian with Kesler a some point. They should compliment each other well, and Kesler would help cover for Kassian's poor defensive game.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Your guess is as good as mine. On one hand, the Blackhawks are our rivals, one of the top teams. They can fill the net with ease and generally you would go with your #1. The back-to-back is at home after 2 days rest, and Luongo didn't see much work Friday night.

On the other hand, this may be a scheduled start. Torts would want to show confidence in his back-up. Lack has been pretty solid after a somewhat shaky pre-season, and it would be good to get him some work. It wouldn't be acceptable to risk injuring Luongo due to over-work.

If it is meant to be a scheduled start why didn't lack play last night?

Odd asset management.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If it is meant to be a scheduled start why didn't lack play last night?

Odd asset management.

The Blackhawks are good at moving the puck East/West around the net. Lack may be a better fit against this type of offense.

Gillis will probably still be looking to move Lou at some point - shelter him a bit so his numbers look more impressive.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The Blackhawks are good at moving the puck East/West around the net. Lack may be a better fit against this type of offense.

Gillis will probably still be looking to move Lou at some point - shelter him a bit so his numbers look more impressive.

Gillis made a comment about goaltending being solidified for a few years with the re-signing of Lack. Makes me think he doesn't want to make changes there. We'll see.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
meh, wouldn't worry about luongo against the hawks

when was he last bad game against the hawks, like 3 years ago, he's usually on top of his game against them (at least in the regular season)

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Gillis made a comment about goaltending being solidified for a few years with the re-signing of Lack. Makes me think he doesn't want to make changes there. We'll see.

If Luongo is still looking to be moved, another team is willing to take him without making the Canucks retain salary, I don't now how Gillis turns that down.

Lack has a very strong track record as a pro and has stepped in thus far seamlessly into the best league in the World. If Lack continues to play at a high level, Luongo's departure and the rising cap would open up a ton of flexibility for Gillis to improve the skaters. Something that will have to happen if this team is to contend IMO - regardless of who is in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad