Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Still holding out to reset the goalie market and become the highest paid NHL player of all time despite never taking a bridge deal or playing a full season as a true starter and he's got no leverage so he should take whatever money the Bruins have left after they've overpaid everybody else but Sweeney only made one insulting offer and then didn't talk for 3 weeks then again Swayman can sit at home and ruin his own career because he's just mad Sweeney made negative remarks about him during arbitration and now Swayman is acting like a big baby complaining to the media and he doesn't deserve more than 6 million because Korpisalo will be almost as good as him or maybe the same and he makes a lot less than that

Slainte

You were a "Gen Z greed" reference away from nailing it.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
And what "SCRUBS" ! do you suggest they cut, and who do you suggest as replacements for these "SCRUBS"!
Well demote Letteri and you have 9.25 million this year so you can actually keep replacement level players like Peeke and Korpisalo if you must

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
This is silly. Of course it matters - the cap is a zero sum situation. Hand waving away the effect every dollar has is short sighted. Look at the Leafs - do you think any fan there was rooting for their stars to get more money?
It doesn't. The Leafs signed 4 forwards. Poor construction, The Bruins have nobody other than Pasta who will remotely need a big deal. Pasta 11 plus, McAvoy 9 plus and Swayman 8 plus. Simple.

The fans were rooting for their players to be on the team. As am I with Swayman. It is absolutely ridiculous that the Bruins have the cap space for him this year and he's still not signed. Is Swayman or is he not the future? Do the Bruins have a better chance to win a Cup with or without him? Is it a huge deal to "overpay" him for a couple seasons?

Mindboggling this team would blow their wad on 30+ UFA's, not get anything of substance of impact to this team for their most tradeable commodity, have cap space AND STILL not have Swayman locked up.

I mean shit use Reilly's 1.3 mil buyout this year as your overpay going forward. This management team this summer is being laughed at how they have handled this so far. Doesn't mean it won't get done, but they have had since what last summer to work out an extension knowing they were going to trade Ullmark? Did they even talk to see what Swayman wanted during the season extension wise?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It doesn't. The Leafs signed 4 forwards. Poor construction, The Bruins have nobody other than Pasta who will remotely need a big deal. Pasta 11 plus, McAvoy 9 plus and Swayman 8 plus. Simple.

The fans were rooting for their players to be on the team. As am I with Swayman. It is absolutely ridiculous that the Bruins have the cap space for him this year and he's still not signed. Is Swayman or is he not the future? Do the Bruins have a better chance to win a Cup with or without him? Is it a huge deal to "overpay" him for a couple seasons?

Mindboggling this team would blow their wad on 30+ UFA's, not get anything of substance of impact to this team for their most tradeable commodity, have cap space AND STILL not have Swayman locked up.

I mean shit use Reilly's 1.3 mil buyout this year as your overpay going forward. This management team this summer is being laughed at how they have handled this so far. Doesn't mean it won't get done, but they have had since what last summer to work out an extension knowing they were going to trade Ullmark? Did they even talk to see what Swayman wanted during the season extension wise?
I mean this is fraught with assumptions. You’d give Swayman $10M so there’s quite a bit of bias here too.

Maple Leaf fans wanted the players on the team. They’re pissed at how much each took. It’s not about wanting them on the team it’s about having the salaries as low as possible - that helps the overall team. If you were a Leaf fan would you have been rooting for Nylander to get more? Matthews? It’s not about wanting the player, it’s about cost and you know that. No one here was rooting for Pasta to get more or McAvoy to get more. It’s only with this guy it’s bizarre.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I mean this is fraught with assumptions. You’d give Swayman $10M so there’s quite a bit of bias here too.

Maple Leaf fans wanted the players on the team. They’re pissed at how much each took. It’s not about wanting them on the team it’s about having the salaries as low as possible - that helps the overall team. If you were a Leaf fan would you have been rooting for Nylander to get more? Matthews? It’s not about wanting the player, it’s about cost and you know that. No one here was rooting for Pasta to get more or McAvoy to get more. It’s only with this guy it’s bizarre.
I give him 8.5 If he doesn't budge I deal him, but I would have at least known that before I dealt Ullmark that's for sure. Pasta and McAvoy both came in on the super high end, both deserved but certainly no discount. Swayman should clock in at 8.5, no discount either.

As for the Leafs, I don't care, get my guys in that get me the best chance to win Don't pay for guys like Kampf, Reaves and Jarnkrok. That's on the GM and capologist.

The fact fans in general would pearl clutch on a guy like Swayman getting "overpaid" but not worry about guys in the bottom six, bottom pair or back up goalie is just odd to me. If the Bruins had signed a guy like Lankinen say for sub one million instead of taking on 12 mil over the next four years on Korpisalo I don't think there would be so much worry about the cap

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I give him 8.5 If he doesn't budge I deal him, but I would have at least known that before I dealt Ullmark that's for sure. Pasta and McAvoy both came in on the super high end, both deserved but certainly no discount. Swayman should clock in at 8.5, no discount either.

As for the Leafs, I don't care, get my guys in that get me the best chance to win Don't pay for guys like Kampf, Reaves and Jarnkrok. That's on the GM and capologist.

The fact fans in general would pearl clutch on a guy like Swayman getting "overpaid" but not worry about guys in the bottom six, bottom pair or back up goalie is just odd to me. If the Bruins had signed a guy like Lankinen say for sub one million instead of taking on 12 mil over the next four years on Korpisalo I don't think there would be so much worry about the cap
Given what we’ve seen, do you think Gross would have negotiated before they traded Ullmark? Why would he do that without this leverage everyone has said Swayman has now? He had no reason to sign early. And in fact if he signed and then they kept Ullmark that would have been bad for his client no?

It’s funny - I’m in almost the exact same range of what I’d give Swayman on a long term deal as you now that you’ve come down from the $9.5M-$10M you were ok with before. And yet on the surface it appears we’re in a huge disagreement.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008

I don't care if we have 20m in cap space, a bad contract is a bad contract and shouldn't be measured by other bad contracts or available cap space.

There's a bunch of guys who are twice the defender Darnell Nurse is. Does that make them worth 18m? No. It means Darnell Nurse isn't worth the market rate he was paid for a top end defender. Hence why it's a bad contract and should be looked at as a cautionary tale and not the norm.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
Btw if you had to take Korpi 3 + Swayman 7.25

or

Some guy 2M + Swayman 9.5 (because he got his way)

I know which one is more cap friendly...

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
I don't care if we have 20m in cap space, a bad contract is a bad contract and shouldn't be measured by other bad contracts or available cap space.

There's a bunch of guys who are twice the defender Darnell Nurse is. Does that make them worth 18m? No. It means Darnell Nurse isn't worth the market rate he was paid for a top end defender. Hence why it's a bad contract and should be looked at as a cautionary tale and not the norm.
Swayman won't be a Nurse.

Btw if you had to take Korpi 3 + Swayman 7.25

or

Some guy 2M + Swayman 9.5 (because he got his way)

I know which one is more cap friendly...
Korpisalo 3 and Swayman 8.5
or
DeSmith 1 and Swayman 8.5?

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Swayman won't be a Nurse.

You're ignoring my point. You said, and I'm paraphrasing, maybe we wouldn't be worried with what Swayman is paid if we didn't have other bad contracts and more cap. That is 100% irrelevant as to whether a player deserves X amount of money.

For a hypothetical, I think we can all agree if Swayman got 12m that would be a bad contract. Wouldn't matter if we had 12m in cap space or 20m.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Given what we’ve seen, do you think Gross would have negotiated before they traded Ullmark? Why would he do that without this leverage everyone has said Swayman has now? He had no reason to sign early. And in fact if he signed and then they kept Ullmark that would have been bad for his client no?

It’s funny - I’m in almost the exact same range of what I’d give Swayman on a long term deal as you now that you’ve come down from the $9.5M-$10M you were ok with before. And yet on the surface it appears we’re in a huge disagreement.
I honestly don't care if he gets 9.5 or 10 (doubt he will) but I can at least see some reasoning about why they wouldn't want to.

For me, after the arb you say lets work out long term now (if legal, not sure about the rules on a extension the year of arbitration) we will go long years at good money. Do you think Swayman goes 8/56 in November of last season to start this year? I do. 100%

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

If they do what you say, gets you by this year what are they going to do next year and the year after when Freddy will be FA, and Geekie RFA ?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
You're ignoring my point. You said, and I'm paraphrasing, maybe we wouldn't be worried with what Swayman is paid if we didn't have other bad contracts and more cap. That is 100% irrelevant as to whether a player deserves X amount of money.

For a hypothetical, I think we can all agree if Swayman got 12m that would be a bad contract. Wouldn't matter if we had 12m in cap space or 20m.
My point was 8 or 9.5 it doesn't matter over the long haul. Just makes you more careful as a manager.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If they do what you say, gets you by this year what are they going to do next year and the year after when Freddy will be FA, and Geekie RFA ?
8.5 puts them at about 70 mil for next season. Marchand and Freddy UFA Lohrei RFA Geekie RFA

Plenty of money

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
How much money did William Nylander lose when he signed right before the season deadline?
He actually didn't lose anything. The contract was pro rated, meaning he made 10M in the first year. Another way Leafs management pampered the star players

1727275046397.png

Reactions: BMC

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I honestly don't care if he gets 9.5 or 10 (doubt he will) but I can at least see some reasoning about why they wouldn't want to.

For me, after the arb you say lets work out long term now (if legal, not sure about the rules on an extension the year of arbitration) we will go long years at good money. Do you think Swayman goes 8/56 in November of last season to start this year? I do. 100%
We couldn’t sign him to a long term deal after arb until January 1.

Regardless, what about this negotiation tells you Gross would have been amenable to locking up a $7M long term deal in January?

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
8.5 puts them at about 70 mil for next season. Marchand and Freddy UFA Lohrei RFA Geekie RFA

Plenty of money
He should not be paid 8.5 mil sorry. If you are correct that there is plenty of money, what about getting a RW or goal scorer that they desperately need, or do we keep signing PTOs ? I know I will offend you but this just Sway and his agents number and I might add yours also that if you do not get your number all three of you will sulk.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
We couldn’t sign him to a long term deal after arb until January 1.

Regardless, what about this negotiation tells you Gross would have been amenable to locking up a $7M long term deal in January?
No play-off performance.

He should not be paid 8.5 mil sorry. If you are correct that there is plenty of money, what about getting a RW or goal scorer that they desperately need, or do we keep signing PTOs ? I know I will offend you but this just Sway and his agents number and I might add yours also that if you do not get your number all three of you will sulk.
Not going to sulk at all. It's just sports, sports are the toy store of life.

Personally I would have tried to fill the RW spot with Zadorov's money, but not going to sweat it, I like the mean Bruins.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
No play-off performance.

Not going to sulk at all. It's just sports, sports are the toy store of life.

Personally I would have tried to fill the RW spot with Zadorov's money, but not going to sweat it, I like the mean Bruins.
I like that toy story of life interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad