Post-Game Talk: GAME 23 - THE BEAR dances on Yonge Street yet again - BRUINS 4 Toronto 3 F/OT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Dont tell me all your hearts didnt stop when they scored with 4 seconds left and thought about that's Panthers series once again. This is a continuous theme going on from last season and very troubling. I think we need another solid shot blocking dman back there. Hows mcdonagh contract these days ? Would love him here for the last minute with McAvoy . There was nobody better for the last frames in the game then mcdonagh back in the day. I still think he has it especially come playoff time.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Again with the 'young team' thing. It seems to be growing legs, despite being so obviously false. In terms of average age, the Bruins have the 18th oldest roster in the league. So pretty much right in the middle and for sure they're not old, with only Marchand, Shatty and JvR (and Lucic) being 34+. But on the flip side only Poitras, Beecher, Lohrei and I guess still sort of Lauko are genuinely young and inexperienced players, and two of those didn't even play tonight. So 'young' feels like a stretch.

IDK, perhaps the boys feel like it gives them a bit of a psychological edge to think of themselves as 'up and coming', or whatever, but it's a little odd. Or maybe at 34 Shattenkirk is just at that stage of life where he finds everyone under 30 'young'. In which case I hear you buddy :laugh:
Yeah definitely, teams always looking to find ways to motivate themselves even if they’re mostly made up lol.

I do think for a Bruins team they’re younger in more important spots than usual. Has been a while since they’ve trusted 2 rookie centers(unless it’s the 3rd period in a close game apparently), mostly because they haven’t had to but still.

Reactions: Gordoff

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Dont tell me all your hearts didnt stop when they scored with 4 seconds left and thought about that's Panthers series once again. This is a continuous theme going on from last season and very troubling. I think we need another solid shot blocking dman back there. Hows mcdonagh contract these days ? Would love him here for the last minute with McAvoy . There was nobody better for the last frames in the game then mcdonagh back in the day. I still think he has it especially come playoff time.
It’s an extension of the “playoff hockey” problem the Bruins had last season…for sure.

When the goalie is pulled, the effort level reaches playoff levels, coupled with a skater advantage…we see what we saw.

At this point the Bruins need to stop trying to fix what they do, and learn a new technique/strategy.

________

Man, Marchand’s hockey IQ is on a level I can’t even fathom. To not just bat that puck out of the air in the dying seconds, but bat it forward to the perfect spot to get the fastest shot away…an amazing play in a 10th of a second.

Last edited:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Nah, it was a regular season tying goal so didn't have any playoff type heart stopping at all. Just a point on the line. Annoyed me that the Leafs got a loser point but don't really care. We still beat them.
I personally think we have guys overly afraid of taking penalties and that costs them late when teams come right at the goal in desperation. Lots of bad refs and McAvoy's suspension have them a little gun shy.

Reactions: Gordoff

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
It was a very well played game by the Bruins. Their problem is with that damn empty net and if they would concentrate more on clearing the puck instead of going for the empty netter the results would be better but tonight giving the Leafs the one point is ok because of the way it ended. That ending is priceless and those fans sure got quiet just as fast as when they tied it in the final 6 seconds left. I was screaming at the tv because of the Ref not calling a penalty while holding McAvoy's stick. The ending is another great one with Brad ending it by sweeping the puck past a diving Woll, it looked like a taunt like are you ready because it is going in the net. WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Yeah definitely, teams always looking to find ways to motivate themselves even if they’re mostly made up lol.

I do think for a Bruins team they’re younger in more important spots than usual. Has been a while since they’ve trusted 2 rookie centers(unless it’s the 3rd period in a close game apparently), mostly because they haven’t had to but still.

Yeah I'll grant you that. Can also add Zacha in that he's still relatively inexperienced and learning as a top 6 center. If it were said that this team still has room for improvement and development and can expect some growing pains in some areas, especially up the middle, then yeah for sure that's true. 'Young' just feels like a stretch.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Agreed on all points except maybe "Ideally though you probably don't want the team playing that cautiously and defensively too often, as eventually it's asking for trouble." I don't think that playing with defensive structure the way they did tonight would be asking for trouble. IMO, championships are won on rock solid defense, and a quick strike mentality. Overall though, agreed on all points. You're a fine analyst, and I always enjoy your thoughts. Kudo's!

Thanks! Yeah definitely, good defensive structure is always important, and it's been a bedrock of the Bruins' game for a long time. What I was more getting at is as a team you can't sit back too often and spend too much time letting the opposition come at you and occupying your D zone. That'll bite you sooner or later, especially against a team like the Leafs.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I missed the first period due to technical difficulties but the rest of the game was fun. I hated the last minute goal to tie BUT it then gave us the dagger moment that their fans need to make it a traditional game. Marchand the villaniest villan in the village. Perfection!

After watching the interview with Linus, I love that tandem even more. It made me cry, him talking about young Linus. The poor guy, what he went through, and came out so balanced and happy. He seems like such a great person, I hope he gets many hugs, I want to hug him!

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Letting up a goal with the extra attacker aside, I liked the Bruins game last night. A lot of forecheck speed and hitting, especially from the fourth line. I thought Steen looked great and he had the least amount of ice time of all players.

Reactions: hrdpuk and bruins19

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Leafs 31st in the league with only five regulation wins. Keeping company with the likes of the Habs,Ducks, Hawks,Sharks etc. Love it.
As last night demonstrated, a very dangerous offense, but a very unbalanced team. Literally, all their eggs in one (four) basket(s).

Letting up a goal with the extra attacker aside, I liked the Bruins game last night. A lot of forecheck speed and hitting, especially from the fourth line. I thought Steen looked great and he had the least amount of ice time of all players.
They were so good getting quick clears early, then later fell into trouble when they started throwing no look clears up the side boards where one or more Leafs were waiting. They did so well with high banks off glass or high flips out. Need to stay with that when pressured hard.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1701609298295.png

1701609485719.png

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
It was a very well played game by the Bruins. Their problem is with that damn empty net and if they would concentrate more on clearing the puck instead of going for the empty netter the results would be better but tonight giving the Leafs the one point is ok because of the way it ended. That ending is priceless and those fans sure got quiet just as fast as when they tied it in the final 6 seconds left. I was screaming at the tv because of the Ref not calling a penalty while holding McAvoy's stick. The ending is another great one with Brad ending it by sweeping the puck past a diving Woll, it looked like a taunt like are you ready because it is going in the net. WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
Refs were awful, as usual. Poitras got held, tangled up, and wrestled to the ice behind the Leafs goal just before they came the other way and scored the second goal against us. They should have been on the PK in their end instead. No idea why that wasn’t called.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
This post from leafs land. Still delusional

Lightsol

Registered User​

Aug 2, 20054,5412,325
  • 17 minutes agoIt's nice to know now that he's the captain of the Bruins Brad Marchand is no longer bound by the rules of the NHL. That last play was a blatant knee-on-knee.
This poster is off his meds. Someone check on him because he is detached from reality. His posts get worse

Reactions: hrdpuk

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Love the win but man soon teams are going to start pulling their goalie for the entire game.Lll
I like and enjoy SD, hope that he doesn't ever have a heart attack. He's a hoot and let's face it, we're all a little Steve Dangles in our fandom of our team.
I honestly don't know who Steve Dangles is

Reactions: hrdpuk

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I missed the first period due to technical difficulties but the rest of the game was fun. I hated the last minute goal to tie BUT it then gave us the dagger moment that their fans need to make it a traditional game. Marchand the villaniest villan in the village. Perfection!

After watching the interview with Linus, I love that tandem even more. It made me cry, him talking about young Linus. The poor guy, what he went through, and came out so balanced and happy. He seems like such a great person, I hope he gets many hugs, I want to hug him!
This is silly but I high five the players as they come out for each period at home games.

Some players don't do high fives ...some always do.

For the net minders the one who is first out (starter on the game) doesn't do high fives but they do when they are the backup. Linus always gives my hand a squeeze and I get a smile. One time he took off his glove and squeezed my hand with his. I probably look like his grandmother. Anyway, he is sweet to the old lady next to the bench.

Last edited:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
This is silly but I high five the players as the come out for each period at home games.

Some players don't do high fives ...some always do.

For the net minders the one who is first out (starter on the game) doesn't do high fives but they do when they are the backup. Linus always gives my hand a squeeze and I get a smile. One time he took off his glove and squeezed my hand with his. I probably look like his grandmother. Anyway, he is sweet to the old lady next to the bench.
A hand hug. :nod:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
So Ryan Reaves and the ML Avengers failed to show up?

Geekie at center reminds me a lot of Bob Sweeney.

Next time Bruins are up a goal late, they should pull their goalie first.

Marchand with the game winner, but he did not play well.

Debrusk and Lindholm played well. And, of course, Pasta.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
So Ryan Reaves and the ML Avengers failed to show up?

Geekie at center reminds me a lot of Bob Sweeney.

Next time Bruins are up a goal late, they should pull their goalie first.

Marchand with the game winner, but he did not play well.

Debrusk and Lindholm played well. And, of course, Pasta.
that's a good call. i kept trying to figure out why he looked familiar.
geekie did look more engaged at center tonight, just don't love the
lack of foot speed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad