Post-Game Talk: GAME 23 - THE BEAR dances on Yonge Street yet again - BRUINS 4 Toronto 3 F/OT

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Postgame victory steak
😊

1701577994367.png

My server grumbles 'I should hate the Bruins but I hate the Leafs even more and I am a Leafs fan'
🤣

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Passing looked good , forechecking was good

Pasta looks like he's past the flu or whatever was bothering him. That wrist shot goal is what's been lacking from his game . Glad he's back. But even when he's not 100% he's amazing.

A lot of pluses and good 2 game comeback . CBJ will have their hands full tomorrow

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
The Leafs don’t feel as dangerous as they usually are . Even though the Bruins always beat them it always felt at times like the Bruins were hanging on for dear life and couldn’t handle their speed . I didn’t feel that way tonight .

Reactions: Dr Hook

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Haha. The Leaf stayed on Pasta all the way past the goal line assuming he wouldn't be the only Leaf inside the blue line. Bs with two wide open players when Marchy scored his goal. If a B did what Tavares did on that play this forum would go nuclear.
My Brother-in-law (who is a long-time leafs fan) has often complained to me (since Toronto acquired Tavares) about how lazy he is and doesn't deserve the money he makes, and is frustrated that they don't trade him.

I told him he was born to be a leaf and I'm glad he's not a Bruin ...and that no other team wants his big contract, so he'll probably retire a Leaf, which makes him even more frustrated

I'm just telling him the truth and am trying to be nice about it

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Again with the 'young team' thing. It seems to be growing legs, despite being so obviously false. In terms of average age, the Bruins have the 18th oldest roster in the league. So pretty much right in the middle and for sure they're not old, with only Marchand, Shatty and JvR (and Lucic) being 34+. But on the flip side only Poitras, Beecher, Lohrei and I guess still sort of Lauko are genuinely young and inexperienced players, and two of those didn't even play tonight. So 'young' feels like a stretch.

IDK, perhaps the boys feel like it gives them a bit of a psychological edge to think of themselves as 'up and coming', or whatever, but it's a little odd. Or maybe at 34 Shattenkirk is just at that stage of life where he finds everyone under 30 'young'. In which case I hear you buddy :laugh:

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Reaves with just under 6 mins of ice time. 8 shifts. I think he saw the ice for maybe two shifts after taking that stupid boarding penalty.

Rielly was a -3 too. Pretty horrendous for their best defenseman.
They told Reaves to nail the little guy

but forget to tell him #63....so he hit the wrong little guy

..and basically got benched :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sunday, December 3 (TD Garden, Boston, MA)

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery available to media at approximately 5:40 p.m.

- Game vs. Columbus Blue Jackets, 7 p.m. (TV: NESN | Radio: 98.5)

- Head Coach Jim Montgomery and select players available to media following the game

Reactions: hrdpuk

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Interesting tactics from Monty tonight. Chose for the most part to have the team play a pretty classic road game - prioritize keeping your defensive structure and allowing little space in the D zone, try and play on the counter-attack, don't overcommit on offense. The disadvantage is it gives up the initiative, the ability to dictate the tempo of the game and the greater number of shots to the opponent, but on the other hand of course you become harder to score against, you limit the odd-man rushes against, and if you're smart you can hit the opposition quickly on the counter when they've been drawn too deep on offense.

Nothing unusual in any of that, but it's probably rarer to see it in a rivalry game between two good teams where more often the road team will fancy its ability to go toe-to-toe with the opponent and won't want to too readily concede the psychological edge and the general flow of the game. But I feel like the recent games against the Red Wings and especially the Rangers, where the play was faster and more open and end-to-end, and which did not end well at all for the Bruins, have made Monty cautious. He didn't fancy trying that again or even allowing the possibility of it against another fairly fast, high-offense team in the Leafs on their own ice.

The coach's plans worked, just, although if not for a couple of avoidable defensive gaffs and the now-normal empty net farce then a regulation win was definitely there for the taking. So well done to him. Ideally though you probably don't want the team playing that cautiously and defensively too often, as eventually it's asking for trouble. As a way to 're-set' the team, make sure the mini-slide stopped, and bag the points against a quality team, it was effective. But it'll be interesting to see where things now progress from here.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
That win felt good. Marchand with the OT winner in embarrassing fashion is just too perfect.

I would say that is the most engaged this group has been in a month or so. Even with the blown lead. Worthy opponent. Battle level was there pretty consistently IMO.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
really good game. Some mistakes both ways but for the most part, every inch of ice was earned. Carlo was a monster.

I also loved how the zebras let ‘em play on all night. Thought both sides could’ve been whistled a few times for 2, but arms stayed down. Oddly enough, the couple of penalties that were called were pretty soft.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I was very busy working in my house but had the game on 3 tvs on 3 floors so that when I went from floor to floor I wouldn't miss anything.
That was an incredible game, incredible win. I have to say that I'm really super impressed with the way Danton Heinen has played. He kept on coming at the Laffs tonight like I've never seen. He's playing like he never wants to leave and if he keeps it up, then he's a keeper!
He (like all of the other B's) left it all on the ice tonight. Also, Coyle and Zacha had a solid game, one of their best this season. They may not have the physicality yet but in ever other aspect they're damn good. The issue of very late goals (6/5) has got to be ironed out but it's early and eventually it will.
The other thing that I was impressed with was the officiating.
Two penalties in the whole game was a masterful job IMO. The NHL could show this game to young ref's as an instructional film.
Anyway, great game. I hope there's no let-down for tonight!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Interesting tactics from Monty tonight. Chose for the most part to have the team play a pretty classic road game - prioritize keeping your defensive structure and allowing little space in the D zone, try and play on the counter-attack, don't overcommit on offense. The disadvantage is it gives up the initiative, the ability to dictate the tempo of the game and the greater number of shots to the opponent, but on the other hand of course you become harder to score against, you limit the odd-man rushes against, and if you're smart you can hit the opposition quickly on the counter when they've been drawn too deep on offense.

Nothing unusual in any of that, but it's probably rarer to see it in a rivalry game between two good teams where more often the road team will fancy its ability to go toe-to-toe with the opponent and won't want to too readily concede the psychological edge and the general flow of the game. But I feel like the recent games against the Red Wings and especially the Rangers, where the play was faster and more open and end-to-end, and which did not end well at all for the Bruins, have made Monty cautious. He didn't fancy trying that again or even allowing the possibility of it against another fairly fast, high-offense team in the Leafs on their own ice.

The coach's plans worked, just, although if not for a couple of avoidable defensive gaffs and the now-normal empty net farce then a regulation win was definitely there for the taking. So well done to him. Ideally though you probably don't want the team playing that cautiously and defensively too often, as eventually it's asking for trouble. As a way to 're-set' the team, make sure the mini-slide stopped, and bag the points against a quality team, it was effective. But it'll be interesting to see where things now progress from here.
Agreed on all points except maybe "Ideally though you probably don't want the team playing that cautiously and defensively too often, as eventually it's asking for trouble." I don't think that playing with defensive structure the way they did tonight would be asking for trouble. IMO, championships are won on rock solid defense, and a quick strike mentality. Overall though, agreed on all points. You're a fine analyst, and I always enjoy your thoughts. Kudo's!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Too many self-inflicted wounds this season. Makes most games have a higher pucker factor than they should. Always love to beat the Leafs and am not complaining about it, but dammit I hope they can clean up the brutal turnovers.

I like and enjoy SD, hope that he doesn't ever have a heart attack. He's a hoot and let's face it, we're all a little Steve Dangles in our fandom of our team.
He’ll be fine- it’s all schtick at this point, an actor working at his craft. Not to say I don’t enjoy him occasionally but he’s getting paid to do his thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad