GDT: Game 2 - Late Night with Mike & Tripp gets started early this year - Canes @ SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
just look sluggish tonight.

Once again, they flew cross country yesterday only 2 days into the regular season. Not at all surprised

Reactions: cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's got an active stick and great positioning to break up offensive plays, forcing turnovers and loose pucks that his teammates are able to get to and transition up ice. In the offensive zone, he plays low risk and gets it to the more offensive dynamos while using his body position to help open up lanes. He's been the classic create room for his teammates guy except that we usually think of those guys as throwing big hits, which he doesn't do. Is that a recipie for stardom? No, but it is the quintisenssal 3C game, and that works just fine at 2C when your wings are Svech and new look Necas.
I don’t disagree but I think every guy in the team aside from the top four scorers do that exact thing every game all year. That’s our teams calling card, smart defensive pressure and choices. I’m not even arguing he’s playing badly. He’s not, he’s bland and safe which like you say is the perfect role for playing with the other two. I’ve seen him just hang back and get in the zone way behind the other two staying home, which is great aside from the fact his offensive skill is being big around the net and burying rebounds.

Playing simple and safe is smart, and the way the coach wants. The fancy stats are my point. They suggest some sort of amazing play or defensive dominance. That’s not reflected here.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don’t disagree but I think every guy in the team aside from the top four scorers do that exact thing every game all year. That’s our teams calling card, smart defensive pressure and choices. I’m not even arguing he’s playing badly. He’s not, he’s bland and safe which like you say is the perfect role for playing with the other two. I’ve seen him just hang back and get in the zone way behind the other two staying home, which is great aside from the fact his offensive skill is being big around the net and burying rebounds.

Playing simple and safe is smart, and the way the coach wants. The fancy stats are my point. They suggest some sort of amazing play or defensive dominance. That’s not reflected here.
I took that post as just getting a laugh out of small sample sizes showing an extreme, but I don't think the fact that most players on the team do disruptive defense really well should just be handwaved away. Most players on this team do that very well to varying degrees, but it is not a remotely universal skill around the league. It's something the Canes put a big emphasis on and it's why we were the single best defensive team in the NHL last year. And it's sure as hell a reflection of their coach, who was one of the great pioneers of that style of play.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad