GDT: Game 2 - Late Night with Mike & Tripp gets started early this year - Canes @ SJ

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll just say this before bed.... Feels like the team is holding back a little to start the year as opposed to how they've come out guns blazing in the past. I said at the end of the playoffs that I worry that this team might have burnt itself out too early in previous years, so I'm definitely interested to see if this is part of the plan. Keep winning, but dial it back a bit to keep at least 1 or 2 more reserve tanks of fuel in storage for the playoffs, at which point we go balls to the wall.

Who knows, might be overthinking it. Its stupid late. GNight

I think you might have been overthinking it. There is zero chance that Rod Brind'Amour is telling the players to dial it back. It's not in his DNA. Also, when the highly competitive players on on the ice, there's zero chance they'll be dialing it back themselves. They just aren't wired that way and doing so would leave them more susceptible to being hurt.

After the CLB game, Rod came right out and said that he didn't like the 1st part of the game but they finally "played the way they want to play".

Secondly, at this juncture of the season, the guys are trying to "get their game legs". It takes a few games to get there.

If the Canes want to dial it back down the road, that probably comes with managing TOI as the season progresses, managing practices, training, etc...

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Jesus that was an excruciating game to watch. Can't believe I stayed up for it. Glad they won though, this was a game they would have lost in previous eras. So now they've beaten two of the worst teams in the league yay.

I’m impressed you guys made it. I made it through 2 periods, looked at the clock and thought “Nope”.

After Necas scored I felt pretty good about the 3rd since the only SJ goal was a flub by Raanta.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
This is my problem with fancy stats. I haven’t seen KK do anything tonight in either direction that was notable. What does one do to achieve this stat line? He’s just out there to this point. Necas is driving that line 100%. KK has chipped a couple of pucks out of the zone, which is good and safe. If Necas is going to play like this all season than I guess it doesn’t matter than he doesn’t do more, but that’s unlikely. People already reaching for fancy stats that explain something deeper to explain why he’s actually playing well without ever explaining what he’s actually doing well is going to get old.

But I digress as it’s the second game. He’s got time obviously.

9 CF for and 0 CA against simply means that Kotkaniemi was standing on the ice while his team generated 9 5v5 shots and also while Kotkaniemi was on the ice the opponent generated zero 5v5 shots. It is a team metric rather than an individual one.

Maybe Necas/Svechnikov generated all 9 shots offensively. Maybe the defense shut down his opponents while he was on the ice. Maybe Kotkaniemi had little effect in the data and it is meaningless. Maybe the little things he does tilts the ice.

One game of data is useless. If it continues over half a season then it may be worth looking more into (absent the eye test catching up).

It isn't hoodoo. It's just data. If I played in the NHL on a line with 4 McDavids and all I did was sit on the ice in the corner the whole game then I would still generate a great CF%. Because my teammates would still dominate.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think you might have been overthinking it. There is zero chance that Rod Brind'Amour is telling the players to dial it back. It's not in his DNA. Also, when the highly competitive players on on the ice, there's zero chance they'll be dialing it back themselves. They just aren't wired that way and doing so would leave them more susceptible to being hurt.

After the CLB game, Rod came right out and said that he didn't like the 1st part of the game but they finally "played the way they want to play".

Secondly, at this juncture of the season, the guys are trying to "get their game legs". It takes a few games to get there.

If the Canes want to dial it back down the road, that probably comes with managing TOI as the season progresses, managing practices, training, etc...
I stated this a few days ago but it’s going to take a bit to get a “steady state” team.

3 of 4 Forward lines have changes and 2 of 3 d pairs are also different.

Keep the faith….we won’t know what we’ve got until around December. Plus, when Patches gets back…..

Lol: I’m more concerned about unwatchable games due to digital boards and Canes decision making on what to place and how often to change.

Btw: I don’t know whether it’s the digital overlay product or just Bally/ESPN scrimping on transmission feeds but broadcast quality was awful last night.

Btw2: watching the Sharks feed. PQ is crap too. Their board view seems to change less but still sucks. Oh well.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
9 CF for and 0 CA against simply means that Kotkaniemi was standing on the ice while his team generated 9 5v5 shots and also while Kotkaniemi was on the ice the opponent generated zero 5v5 shots. It is a team metric rather than an individual one.

Maybe Necas/Svechnikov generated all 9 shots offensively. Maybe the defense shut down his opponents while he was on the ice. Maybe Kotkaniemi had little effect in the data and it is meaningless. Maybe the little things he does tilts the ice.

One game of data is useless. If it continues over half a season then it may be worth looking more into (absent the eye test catching up).

It isn't hoodoo. It's just data. If I played in the NHL on a line with 4 McDavids and all I did was sit on the ice in the corner the whole game then I would still generate a great CF%. Because my teammates would still dominate.

Hand wringing KK’s contribution is something else. Good thing KK has 4 McDavids to play with. Because a team stat is more about his wingers and less about his contributions to that same team, interesting…..

No one he is saying he is going to be the best 2C in the league but folks are wrong for noticing his good play?

Just a terrible post

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Just got around to rewatching, woof that was a fugly game...lots of almost good plays, low quality shots, and hitting the dude standing motionless 2 ft I'm front of them. Take it and move on I guess

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad