PGT: Game 2 - Europe vs Canada - Canada wins the 2016 World Cup of Hockey

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
That team Europe was impressive tonight. They really deserved to win that game. There was a blue jersey in the way everywhere on the ice all night except for that last goal.

Gotta feel bad for Halak.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Ridiculous

Kopitar is out there with linemates that cant hold none of the Canadian forwards' jock. Kopitar nevertheless neutralized any line he played against.

The only line that the Kopitar line won the possession battle against was the Duchene line, though they barely played against them.

The Toews line chewed them up and spit them out in possession, and the Crosby line was closer to 50/50.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Can there be a separate thread for Toewes under appreciated greatness?

Your team won btw

My team (USA) did a wonderful job getting its players to training camps!

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

The only line that the Kopitar line won the possession battle against was the Duchene line, though they barely played against them.

The Toews line chewed them up and spit them out in possession, and the Crosby line was closer to 50/50.

Again, it was Kopitar vs a team full of superstars. What else where you expecting?

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Again, it was Kopitar vs a team full of superstars. What else where you expecting?

the entire team does not play at once. it's line vs line.

regarding toews the possession numbers flatter his performance, he was fighting the puck all night until the ending.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Yup. The results are too obvious. And thats before considering deployment, where Toews is always facing the one hyperelite (kopitar etc) line on the other team. Simply too obvious to debate.

Yeah he was so great he was awarded MVP.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

You must have misread my post.

Toews is on a line with Tavares and Stamkos.

Kopitar is on a line with Tatar and Hossa.

Are you seriously pointing out their possession advantage as something worth giving credit for?

I expected Canada to have the puck and logically they did a lot. I also expected them to score more than 0 goals in 55 minutes of play, yet instead I watched Kopitar kill Canadian plays in the defensive zone throughout the whole game.
im pretty sure he was doubleshifting throughout the tournament and probably was today as well, or to the very least he was extremely relied upon.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I always found the trophy and medal combo to be tacky, pick one.

Agreed. Also in the World Cup of soccer they give out medals to the 4th place team as well. Not to mention the trophy is not even a cup. Like, what in the blue hell?

It's not a cup, it's not a bowl, it's a trophy. They should call it the World Championship of soccer, if there's no actual cup involved.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
pele_010.jpg

I approve of the original FIFA World Cup. Now that you can drink off of.

Just a pet peeve, maybe.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Didn't you know that Toews would strip the puck from Mario and Wayne just as easily as he does from everyone else? He's clearly one of the best to have ever played the game.

Nah, Lemieux and Gretzky would be so intimidated by Toews that they'd just give him the puck. They're smart enough to know they don't have a chance.

"No way we're messing with that guy, somebody on HF told us he might be the best player ever".

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Do you know what deployment is? Considering hes at 80% of crosbys points in international play while being used as the shutdown center vs best opposition, again its very obvious. Tossed in a shorthanded tour de force play for the nonbelievers to further make the very obvious point.

Nope, Toews isn't nearly as useful as Crosby, hence why he has the C over him, management knows it too, sorry bud.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Huge win by Canada.

Marchand really stepped up his game and came up big.
Nobody wants to play against him but most people would want him on their team. :laugh:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Congratulations to:
  • Crosby
  • Toews
  • Bergeron
  • Getzlaf
  • Perry
  • Weber
  • Doughty

Who have been the core of this "Golden Generation" for Canada the past three championships. Honorable mention to Keith who would be part of this club if not for him needing the time to rehab his knee this Autumn.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The hate for Toews is not logical.

Crosby is the best player in the world and there is no arguing that.

Toews is one of the top/elite Two-way centers in the game.

The both had great tourneys.

Crosby did what he was deployed to do and the same goes for Toews.

Babcock and his staff were deploying them in a manner that took advantage of their strengths.

Not even sure why this is an argument.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
You must have misread my post.

Toews is on a line with Tavares and Stamkos.

Kopitar is on a line with Tatar and Hossa.

Are you seriously pointing out their possession advantage as something worth giving credit for?

I expected Canada to have the puck and logically they did a lot. I also expected them to score more than 0 goals in 55 minutes of play, yet instead I watched Kopitar kill Canadian plays in the defensive zone throughout the whole game.
im pretty sure he was doubleshifting throughout the tournament and probably was today as well, or to the very least he was extremely relied upon.

as crazy as it sounds, Hossa and Tatar with Kopitar is probably a better possession line than Tavares Toews Stamkos simply because Stamkos sucks.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The hate for Toews is not logical.

Crosby is the best player in the world and there is no arguing that.

Toews is one of the top/elite Two-way centers in the game.

The both had great tourneys.

Crosby did what he was deployed to do and the same goes for Toews.

Babcock and his staff were deploying them in a manner that took advantage of their strengths.

Not even sure why this is an argument.

Canada has built three championship teams forward lines around the top-3 centers of Crosby, Toews, and Getzlaf. Each of them play their role very well and have different strengths that give competitors almost no chance of matching such center depth. It is a great problem to have for Canada's coaches.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
As a Canadian it's good to see Canada win yet again! It's a special nucleus they have had since 2010 and impressive how they always come through. This tournament was tough to get into but in the end i'm glad I stuck through it and watched all the games. You wonder how many more chances Crosby will get to play best on best tournaments to further his incredible legacy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad