PGT: Game 2 - Europe vs Canada - Canada wins the 2016 World Cup of Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Chara scoring the 1st goal and almost ended up being the winner would have trolled everyone. Ironic that the comeback in a big game was in Toronto led by two Boston Bruins in the last 3 minutes. All 3 goals were from Bruins, what are the odds.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Stupid tournament got a stupid ending. This was worse than a blowout would have been. Hope never to get to see any of those gimmick teams again. Let Canada play against Canada in the next Gimmick Cup 2020 for all I care, but don't give us this **** ever again.

Just don't watch it if you don't like it. Not like it's interrupting any real hockey. Other than some awful first pre season games.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
NqaqRSm.png

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Congratulations to:
  • Crosby
  • Toews
  • Bergeron
  • Getzlaf
  • Perry
  • Weber
  • Doughty

Who have been the core of this "Golden Generation" for Canada the past three championships. Honorable mention to Keith who would be part of this club if not for him needing the time to rehab his knee this Autumn.

These are essentially all the guys who had a hand in our 5 year gold medal run at the World Juniors. It's no coincidence that we've had the run we've had over these last 6 years. I'm not sure our future crop can live up to these guys as USA, Finland, Sweden, and Russia have really closed the gap in developing world class talent.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Marchand/Price shouldve won MVP but w/e. This "cup" doesnt feel like anything special. Maybe if the final had been the young guns vs Canada or Sweden/Russia vs Canada it wouldve felt more exciting but this best of three against Europe was a marketing nightmare. Sorry but what a borefest. I guess the lack of real stakes prevents the usual excitement.

Some games were good though, like N-A - Russia.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Congratulations to:
  • Crosby
  • Toews
  • Bergeron
  • Getzlaf
  • Perry
  • Weber
  • Doughty

Who have been the core of this "Golden Generation" for Canada the past three championships. Honorable mention to Keith who would be part of this club if not for him needing the time to rehab his knee this Autumn.

I was looking at Bergeron's championships and he has 6 for Canada and 1 Stanley Cup. Not sure who else is in the 6 time club, maybe no one.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
As a Canadian it's good to see Canada win yet again! It's a special nucleus they have had since 2010 and impressive how they always come through. This tournament was tough to get into but in the end i'm glad I stuck through it and watched all the games. You wonder how many more chances Crosby will get to play best on best tournaments to further his incredible legacy.

Sure it's special, but is it a nucleus of caring? :sarcasm:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I was looking at Bergeron's championships and he has 6 for Canada and 1 Stanley Cup. Not sure who else is in the 6 time club, maybe no one.

In terms of unique championships won it that group, Perry's Memorial Cup comes to mind, as does Bergeron's Spengler. Seguin, Tavares and Duchene were also on that Spengler team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It always amazes me how people who say they didn't like the tournament are vocal about it post, after post, after post. Maybe it's just me, but if I don't like something I ignore it. I don't post on and on about how much I dislike it. :help:

In any case, a sloppy final game, but Canada dominated the tournament and deserved the win. Nice to see Sid dominate as well, taking home MVP honors.

Now let's get the regular season started.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
In terms of unique championships won it that group, Perry's Memorial Cup comes to mind, as does Bergeron's Spengler. Seguin, Tavares and Duchene were also on that Spengler team.

Bergy has 6 golds for Canada and one Stanley Cup, 2 Olympics golds so minus one and its a 6 time club member per trophy. Or 5 time for his Country alone. There must be someone with the same record or close or maybe even more?

Medal record
Representing Canada

Winter Olympics
Gold medal – first place 2014 Sochi
Gold medal – first place 2010 Vancouver

World Championships
Gold medal – first place 2004 Czech Republic

Canada Cup / World Cup
Gold medal – first place 2016 Toronto

World Junior Championships
Gold medal – first place 2005 United States

Spengler Cup
Gold medal – first place 2012 Davos

Ice Fight

Nov 4, 2015
Crosby was mvp no question. The value of Toews and Bergeron is crazy though. Babcock said something in the media about these three. Along the lines of they rise to the occasion when needed. Clutch

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Has anyone mentioned Toews yet?

Just checking.

Was he that number 87 dominating the tournament?
No?
Must have been that 37 that looks like 87 sometimes who also dominated and was the third best forward behind 87 and that little 63.

16? Hmm...think I saw him chistle an assist or two off one of those three at some point or other. 16 looked good but he wasn't as good as the elite three.

Hell, that 11 on Europe outplayed most Canadians outside of the elite three.

PapaQ

Jun 18, 2010
Well, it seems like they managed to squeeze out the most out of this marketing disaster finals. It almost seems like it was meant to be this way. Just look at how happy you all are. It would be much less exciting for Canadians if they won 6-1 or something, but being a close game, your players walk away like the real champs they are... exciting game until the last minute. What else could NHL wish for given the circumstances. Canada looked super weak in the first two, I don't know... feels kind of weird to me.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Chara scoring the 1st goal and almost ended up being the winner would have trolled everyone. Ironic that the comeback in a big game was in Toronto led by two Boston Bruins in the last 3 minutes. All 3 goals were from Bruins, what are the odds.

haha, good point.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Was he that number 87 dominating the tournament?
No?
Must have been that 37 that looks like 87 sometimes who also dominated and was the third best forward behind 87 and that little 63.

16? Hmm...think I saw him chistle an assist or two off one of those three at some point or other. 16 looked good but he wasn't as good as the elite three.

Hell, that 11 on Europe outplayed most Canadians outside of the elite three.

Lol @ "elite three" - never thought id see bruins fans bragging about bergeron and marchand filling the kunitz role getting dragged around by crosby against soft matchups. Toews dominated on his own line while facing the toughest matchups, as usual.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Marchand deserves big attention. He tied the game with Russia. He scored the winner against Russia. He scores the winner in the finals.

TheHoff

Apr 11, 2007
Refs were pretty brutal. Several non calls for Europe and other questionable decisions favoring Canada (delay of game calls on Europe etc. pp.).

Especially in this game Europe was just the better team. And the saddest thing of them all: Marchand scored the game winner :cry:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Sweden was clearly the better team when facing Europe, despite losing (Lundqvist let three horrible goals in).

From what I've read, Europe stood up really well against Canada in these two games.

What do you think a final between Canada and Sweden would've looked like?

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
Sweden was clearly the better team when facing Europe, despite losing (Lundqvist let three horrible goals in).

From what I've read, Europe stood up really well against Canada in these two games.

What do you think a final between Canada and Sweden would've looked like?

Sweden would had pushed canada more then gimmick europe did

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
is it over? Sorry... I must have slept through the fireworks and the impromptu fan parade to the city center and the honking of car horns all night.

Glad it's over. The right team won and now we can get on with things.

Sorey*

Aug 26, 2016
is it over? Sorry... I must have slept through the fireworks and the impromptu fan parade to the city center and the honking of car horns all night.

Glad it's over. The right team won and now we can get on with things.

Yep, worst tournament ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad