Half-Assed GDT: Game #18 Blues host Golden Knights 7pm CT

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
People need to get off of Binningtons ass. He's exceptionally good at break aways and his rebound control is perfectly fine. It could be better yes but there is a reason you don't leave guys wide open in front of the net, and the last few games the Blues have been guilty of it many times.
I’m not on his ass. Just saying he probably wanted those back. He bounced back and kept everything else out even if the Knights missed wide open nets haha. Gotta have some luck involved too

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Binnington's rebound control has always been a weakness. It is a concern I have, not so much with him (he is what he is) but with the defense. In 2019 we were good at collecting those or clearing those into a harmless area. I don't think that is a strength of our current defensive corps.

I'm sure Binner would love to have the breakaway goal back.....you could tell by his reaction. Newsflash: every goalie has those. Sometimes it is not even on them, but something they wish they had done differently.

I'm sure Lehner would love to have the first one back. That was heading harmlessly through the crease until he deflected it on and into the net. It happens. He'd probably like the last one back, too.

But, there is not a goalie in NHL history that did not have some "ah s*#ts." I don't remember seeing one on Dryden, but I'm sure he had some.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Binnington's rebound control has always been a weakness. It is a concern I have, not so much with him (he is what he is) but with the defense. In 2019 we were good at collecting those or clearing those into a harmless area. I don't think that is a strength of our current defensive corps.

I'm sure Binner would love to have the breakaway goal back.....you could tell by his reaction. Newsflash: every goalie has those. Sometimes it is not even on them, but something they wish they had done differently.

I'm sure Lehner would love to have the first one back. That was heading harmlessly through the crease until he deflected it on and into the net. It happens. He'd probably like the last one back, too.

But, there is not a goalie in NHL history that did not have some "ah s*#ts." I don't remember seeing one on Dryden, but I'm sure he had some.
Think about this.

If you play baseball and you get a hit 3 our of 10 times, you probably have a hall of fame trajectory.

If you are a forward and have a shooting rate of scoring 2 out of every 10 shots, they consider that unsustainable because you should be more closer to 1 out of 10 shots scoring.

If you are a goalie and stop 9 out of 10 shots you are considered sub-par and replacement level.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006

Agree that rebound control has always been a weakness of Binner’s.

jura

booze & blues
Mar 29, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Rewatching Sunny penalty, he hit him high but I didn’t think he made contact with head. They never showed replay so only 1 view of it so not 100% where contact was.

Rewatch that penalty on Sundqvist and I don't see much head contact and personally don't like the call when Vegas player head was down at like chest level. How can you avoid not contacting a head if their head is that low?

ezgif-7-41a9495fab2b-sunny.gif

Finally able to watch the 3rd. How has Mikkola looked?

Mikkola that’s how you Finnish @Ranksu

ezgif-7-dc0539b2aa9c-niko.gif

1st and 2nd goal. How did Krug played it?

:popcorn:

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Just watched the highlights of the game again, because I love seeing Vegas lose over and over again.

I feel like Faulk's goal should be getting more love, that was an amazing solo effort as he picked Roy's pocket, outskated him for the breakaway and then roofed it perfectly. The Stache was at full power on that play.

Also as jura is showing us above, what a rip from Mikkola. That was his "I'm not coming out of the lineup just yet" wrist shot...pretty nasty snipe.

Perron's individual effort on the first goal was pretty impressive as well. Few players protect the puck as well as he does.

Actually all of our goals were pretty sweet. Bozak and Sadd both showed some nice skill on their finish.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Walman is what he is, a 7th defenseman, AHL/NHL tweener. The AHL is full of guys like that so I doubt if someone does claim him. He will be 26 in February and only has 39 games in the NHL to date. Easily a replacement level player and most teams already have their Walmans.
I'd be surprised if he is claimed, but, then again, we are at that point in the season when a few teams are laid up with injuries.

So, without knowing each team's defensive woes and injury issues, it may be 50-50 that he gets claimed.

And if he gets claimed, So what?

I'd rather play Rosen and Santini.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Just watched the highlights of the game again, because I love seeing Vegas lose over and over again.

I feel like Faulk's goal should be getting more love, that was an amazing solo effort as he picked Roy's pocket, outskated him for the breakaway and then roofed it perfectly. The Stache was at full power on that play.

Also as jura is showing us above, what a rip from Mikkola. That was his "I'm not coming out of the lineup just yet" wrist shot...pretty nasty snipe.

Perron's individual effort on the first goal was pretty impressive as well. Few players protect the puck as well as he does.

Actually all of our goals were pretty sweet. Bozak and Sadd both showed some nice skill on their finish.
That was Blues hockey. Perron and ROR were back to their former selves, protecting the puck and making plays. Perron cannot be knocked off the puck when he’s on like that.

We were super physical all game, finishing checks. Kostin, Mikkola and Sundqvist set the tone there.

It’s no wonder we won. When we actually woke up and played with some urgency, good things happened. Who woulda thought!

I understand we can’t play like that all 82 games but shit, we need to do it more often than we have been lately.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
That was Blues hockey. Perron and ROR were back to their former selves, protecting the puck and making plays. Perron cannot be knocked off the puck when he’s on like that.

We were super physical all game, finishing checks. Kostin, Mikkola and Sundqvist set the tone there.

It’s no wonder we won. When we actually woke up and played with some urgency, good things happened. Who woulda thought!

I understand we can’t play like that all 82 games but shit, we need to do it more often than we have been lately.
There are going to be times where you play like that and you still lose the game. The real key is to not get too high or too low when things like that happen. Hockey involves so much luck, but as long as you're playing the right way everything should take care of itself in the end.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
There are going to be times where you play like that and you still lose the game. The real key is to not get too high or too low when things like that happen. Hockey involves so much luck, but as long as you're playing the right way everything should take care of itself in the end.
Like hockey fans?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Think about this.

If you play baseball and you get a hit 3 our of 10 times, you probably have a hall of fame trajectory.

If you are a forward and have a shooting rate of scoring 2 out of every 10 shots, they consider that unsustainable because you should be more closer to 1 out of 10 shots scoring.

If you are a goalie and stop 9 out of 10 shots you are considered sub-par and replacement level.

And? I don't understand your point. Those standards are set by what other people doing the same job under similar circumstances. The baseball comparison isn't even comparing apples to oranges. Its comparing apples to pianos. Comparing shooting percentage to save percentage isn't apples to oranges either. It is comparing apples to some inverse of the apple. Its comparing the uneaten portion of the apple you just took a single bite of to the eaten portion in your stomach. So unless you can bite exactly half the apple, they shouldn't be the same.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
And? I don't understand your point. Those standards are set by what other people doing the same job under similar circumstances. The baseball comparison isn't even comparing apples to oranges. Its comparing apples to pianos. Comparing shooting percentage to save percentage isn't apples to oranges either. It is comparing apples to some inverse of the apple. Its comparing the uneaten portion of the apple you just took a single bite of to the eaten portion in your stomach. So unless you can bite exactly half the apple, they shouldn't be the same.
Sorry to offend. Deleting account.

Reactions: Ranksu

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
BLUES HOCKEY IS ALIVE AND WELL

Stop whining about Binny. He's good. My Cup Ring says so!

VERY happy with our play. Looks like we'll be out of funk sooner than later. Love these boys, screw Vegas.

NEXT!

You know some people have lost the plot when they are complaining about our goalie following a game where he was 2nd star and stopped 32 out of 34 shots. I think some people are just addicted to complaining and negativity. That's why I ignore those people.

As ezcreepin said, the difference between winning and losing is pretty small in many games. One or two key plays early in the game can set the tone for the rest. Our team has shown they can compete with any team and we still haven't seen them play their best on a consistent basis, which is normal for this point in the season. This is a fun team to watch and I for one am quite pleased with how the season is going so far.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
You know some people have lost the plot when they are complaining about our goalie following a game where he was 2nd star and stopped 32 out of 34 shots. I think some people are just addicted to complaining and negativity. That's why I ignore those people.

As ezcreepin said, the difference between winning and losing is pretty small in many games. One or two key plays early in the game can set the tone for the rest. Our team has shown they can compete with any team and we still haven't seen them play their best on a consistent basis, which is normal for this point in the season. This is a fun team to watch and I for one am quite pleased with how the season is going so far.

Totally agree with all of it. We can stand up to any team on any day. We'll win some, we'll lose some. I love our resolve and the skill and heart we play with. What we need, Army will provide, the rest the boys will figure out. Very proud of what we got and where we're heading.

Honeycutt

Jan 18, 2010

Agreed 100% one of the reason I stopped coming around here so much, a lot of posters think complaining about the team makes them better fans that just enjoy the fact we got a fun team and hockey is entertainment..

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM

Faulk's goal was a great individual effort. It was like he decided before he swiped the puck that his mission was to put it in the back of the net, and he forced it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad