Half-Assed GDT: Game #18 Blues host Golden Knights 7pm CT

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Perunovich looks amazing. He's here to stay.
He still has a lot to learn about how to play defence in The NHL. But, sheltered on The 3rd pairing, he can learn and not hurt the team much, while helping on the power play. I certainly have higher hopes for him after seeing his offensive skills and basic hockey skills on The NHL level in his first 3 games. He certainly looks like he belongs, already, when most rookies still have the jitters.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Do you dare play Schenn on the 4th line?

Kyrou-O'Reilly-Perron
Buchnevich-Thomas-Tarasenko
Saad-Barbashev-Sundqvist
Schenn-Bozak-Kostin

:help: That is depth beyond words.

I’d personally go with these

Saad-O’Reilly-Perron
Kyrou-Schenn-Buchnevich
Barbashev-Thomas-Tarasenko
Kostin-Bozak-Sundqvist

The top 3 lines were absolutely buzzing before Covid/injuries hit, and I think this 4th line would be rock solid. Kostin and Sunny coming down the wings on the forecheck doesn’t sound fun to play against.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I was at the game and made a point to watch Mikkola and he looked really solid all around, right down to his play away from the puck. Scoring a goal to seal the game should help his mojo a little too, I would imagine. He might just be a late bloomer which wouldn't be uncommon for defensemen, particularly lanky, rangy ones.
Mikkola's problem was never his actual play. He's always been a tough dude who will penalty kill, block shots, and kill people into the boards. His worst attribute, and arguably one of the most important in today's game is that he can't handle the puck without making a mistake. Whether it's passing it up the boards and missing the player completely, passing a puck on edge that gets picked off, or trying to rim the puck around the boards that goes to the feet of the opposition, he constantly has problems with those. Until he really slows down to evaluate the play before making a pass or takes the puck out of the zone like Parayko, he's going to have trouble for the rest of his career in this regard. It's either that, or he works with Oates to learn how to pass and blows us away with his breakout skills.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Barring getting hit by injuries, Walman should never play another game for us again if we’re healthy.

I know it’s one game but Mikkola looked good and he offers so much more than Walman with his physicality and PK ability. Plus, as a defensive d-man, he still has more NHL points than Walman does in the same amount of games. And Wally is supposed to be an offensive guy lol.

Just keep playing Mikkola and Perunovich. Let them gain experience and see if they can help our defense.

If they can’t, then make a trade before the deadline. But putting Walman in there is pointless because he offers nothing that the other two don’t.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Barring getting hit by injuries, Walman should never play another game for us again if we’re healthy.

I know it’s one game but Mikkola looked good and he offers so much more than Walman with his physicality and PK ability. Plus, as a defensive d-man, he still has more NHL points than Walman does in the same amount of games. And Wally is supposed to be an offensive guy lol.

Just keep playing Mikkola and Perunovich. Let them gain experience and see if they can help our defense.

If they can’t, then make a trade before the deadline. But putting Walman in there is pointless because he offers nothing that the other two don’t.

Absolutely. Jake seems to have hit a wall in terms of development, while Mikkola offers the skillset we need much more than Walman and seems like he hasn't reached his potential yet. I would keep the pairings as they were tonight, however. Mikkola/Scandella can be a very effective 3rd pair to do some of the heavy lifting in the d-zone and open things up for the top two pairs.

Don't look now but Saad is now tied for the team lead in goals. He has quietly been one of our steadiest and most consistent offensive performers all year.

Call me crazy but I'm just as happy to have Faulk @ $6.5 million compared to Benedict Petro @ $8.8 mil. Leading the team with a +8 and providing solid two-way play every night. Great game for the 'Stache!

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Have to try and send Walman to Springfield. Too many d-men now and Mikkola needs to play. Does Walman have to clear waivers?

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Have to try and send Walman to Springfield. Too many d-men now and Mikkola needs to play. Does Walman have to clear waivers?
Walman is what he is, a 7th defenseman, AHL/NHL tweener. The AHL is full of guys like that so I doubt if someone does claim him. He will be 26 in February and only has 39 games in the NHL to date. Easily a replacement level player and most teams already have their Walmans.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
1st and 2nd goal. How did Krug played it?
Ahh yes. Blues win a game but let's pinpoint onto one player about how bad they were on two plays. How about we talk about how on the first goal Parayko was laying on the ice next to the boards or how Saad got caught puckwatching? Or how about how Binnington let in a bad goal 5-Hole on a breakaway where both Buch and Thomas gave up on the back check and Krug was the only one hustling to get back.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
Ahh yes. Blues win a game but let's pinpoint onto one player about how bad they were on two plays. How about we talk about how on the first goal Parayko was laying on the ice next to the boards or how Saad got caught puckwatching? Or how about how Binnington let in a bad goal 5-Hole on a breakaway where both Buch and Thomas gave up on the back check and Krug was the only one hustling to get back.
Krug was actually checked and pinned to the boards before that second goal. Both goals I say fall on Binny. First let out a juicy rebound and the second leaves the 5 holes wide open. Smith has some silky smooth hands though. But hey he rebounded the rest of the game

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Watch it again those goals. Did Krug take his man? And second goal he turned off his controler. He would have made defend if he wouldn't stop skating back.

Or is it just ok to forget mistakes if we won. Never learn mistakes and improve our game? :dunno:

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Watch it again those goals. Did Krug take his man? And second goal he turned off his controler. He would have made defend if he wouldn't stop skating back.

Or is it just ok to forget mistakes if we won. Never learn mistakes and improve our game? :dunno:
You know what man. I give up. Have a lovely day.

Reactions: Meatball

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Happy ending to what started off as a Charlie Foxtrot.

If the Blues stay mentally focused and play their system they can beat anyone.

However, if they start to play out of system or mentally coast, then it becomes a dumpster fire very quickly.

They need someone on the bench like Stein to hold them accountable.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL

Krug didn’t turn off the controller. He was check and pinned to the boards. That’s what allowed the breakout pass to Smith. Definitely a breakdown of team defense but Binny has to be better there and hey he rebounded nicely

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
Krug was actually checked and pinned to the boards before that second goal. Both goals I say fall on Binny. First let out a juicy rebound and the second leaves the 5 holes wide open. Smith has some silky smooth hands though. But hey he rebounded the rest of the game

Krug didn’t turn off the controller. He was check and pinned to the boards. That’s what allowed the breakout pass to Smith. Definitely a breakdown of team defense but Binny has to be better there and hey he rebounded nicely

People need to get off of Binningtons ass. He's exceptionally good at break aways and his rebound control is perfectly fine. It could be better yes but there is a reason you don't leave guys wide open in front of the net, and the last few games the Blues have been guilty of it many times.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010

both goals are a result of krug being a bad position because of a turnover by someone else. goal one was parayko handing it to petro. goal two was faulk handing it to hutton.

krug was on the ice, but you should have more criteria than that.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
People need to get off of Binningtons ass. He's exceptionally good at break aways and his rebound control is perfectly fine. It could be better yes but there is a reason you don't leave guys wide open in front of the net, and the last few games the Blues have been guilty of it many times.
his rebound control and lateral movement have looked noticeably worse the past 5 or so games. he could definitely use some help defensively too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad