Post-Game Talk: Game 1 Pens vs Rangers: It was ugly

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You watch some of the younger clubs around the league and you see them giving 110%. Even in their preseason games you see guys going all out and injuring themselves before the season even begins. You look at our team and the entire atmosphere around them seems like it’s so nonchalant.

You see it from the players in the game, you see it from the coach, you see it from the management, you see it from the fans. This is a team that if its going to make a run at the playoffs, has to go all out every game. That’s why it made no sense to sign any of the older players. We needed wingers for Sid and Geno that had shit to prove. Not guys who have already cashed in their biggest NHL paychecks.

And we needed the surrounding roster to be of the same mindset. They should’ve aimed for building an expansion team type roster on the fly. I think they could've stretched the competitive window out longer that way.
Yeah…I think we’d be way better off if we incorporated Pickering, Brunicke, Koivunen, Broz etc on this roster…no joke..just play as many kids as we can …waive or sit vets

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Everyone is calling out the poor defense, which is an absolute issue, but this is getting overlooked.

We traded out a guy who can put up 40. We really don’t have any other goal scorers outside of Sid.

Sully sucks but we also don’t have a ton of talent and it’s becoming obvious.
Yeah, basically we lack skill, physicality, and speed lol…I don’t know what this team does well…really nothing…we lack shooting talent but don’t make up for it with relentless effort, we’re not a great let alone good defensive team and we don’t have above average goaltending…I don’t see how we’re going to win games lol…I mean a new coach might go a long way in helping minimize the effort and defensive issues, but I don’t think enough to launch us into a team that could win a playoff round…I’d like us to give some chances to unknown younger players…let’s see what we have…McG was ok on L3 but not really all that noticeable outside of wall/NZ plays…let’s see if he can be more of offensive catalyst if we play him in the top six…get Puusty in the next game too…at least he can finish a shot occasionally lol

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Minus:
  • Sullivan’s entire thought process as a coach, line-up, everything.
  • Two headed monster, if you’re using that for these two at this age, you’ve got zero ideas left as a coach. That hasn’t worked in a very long time.
That was one of my biggest takeaways from the game last night. Like, how is he already resorting to sticking Malkin on Crosby's wing by the 2nd period of game 1?

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Yeah, basically we lack skill, physicality, and speed lol…I don’t know what this team does well…really nothing…we lack shooting talent but don’t make up for it with relentless effort, we’re not a great let alone good defensive team and we don’t have above average goaltending…I don’t see how we’re going to win games lol…I mean a new coach might go a long way in helping minimize the effort and defensive issues, but I don’t think enough to launch us into a team that could win a playoff round…I’d like us to give some chances to unknown younger players…let’s see what we have…McG was ok on L3 but not really all that noticeable outside of wall/NZ plays…let’s see if he can be more of offensive catalyst if we play him in the top six…get Puusty in the next game too…at least he can finish a shot occasionally lol
agreed

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For like 6 years now it feels like the team has to work incredibly hard to actually do anything. Other teams take an open shot and score. The Pens need to build some good momentum for a while and have everyone playing good to finally get a goal.

I miss the days of Kessel just skating into the zone and ripping a wrist shot into the net
We lack anyone with the gall to do that.

With the departure of Jake, we are missing a #3. From 2009 to 2015, we lacked a #3. Someone who could do something if Sid or Geno couldn't. Insert Kessel and our fortunes change. Kessel out but you had Jake. Now with Kessel and Jake gone, who is #3? Rust? Like I honestly don't know. The unfortunate reality is that we aren't really any different than a team like Seattle or even Utah where it's a decent level roster but it lacks high-end talent.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
It got a bit lost in the total shit show but the icing that DOC took late in the 1st remains one of the dumbest hockey plays I've ever seen and it directly led to a goal. I've been a fan of him but that was something that should have gotten him benched.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
O it happened at the end of the first period. He panicked sooner than that
Oh dear lord, lol must have missed that. Well jeeeeeeeeesus

1728574692865.png

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Yeah…I think we’d be way better off if we incorporated Pickering, Brunicke, Koivunen, Broz etc on this roster…no joke..just play as many kids as we can …waive or sit vets
While I understand the sentiment, the last place I want those guys, guys I actually care about the development of, is on this f***ing team with this f***ing coach. I'd probably send McG down as well just to get him in a better environment that isn't as toxic as this one.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
We lack anyone with the gall to do that.

With the departure of Jake, we are missing a #3. From 2009 to 2015, we lacked a #3. Someone who could do something if Sid or Geno couldn't. Insert Kessel and our fortunes change. Kessel out but you had Jake. Now with Kessel and Jake gone, who is #3? Rust? Like I honestly don't know. The unfortunate reality is that we aren't really any different than a team like Seattle or even Utah where it's a decent level roster but it lacks high-end talent.
I don't know about that. I was told that Bunting's just as good as Guentzel, he just hasn't gotten the same opportunities. Stats don't lie (unless you don't apply them properly of course)!

It’s hard not to overreact after one game only because it’s all the same issues we’ve seen the last couple years.
This is 100% spot on. The issue isn't "OMG it's just one game!", the issue is this is how the team has looked for YEARS under Sullivan. Same things that lead to them getting blown away have been there for years.

GilbertSeinfeld

Mar 4, 2024
Let's not panic until they blow a third period lead.

I mean, that's all they haven't done yet after one game.

Oh, and losing in OT.

Fine, two things.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Penguins for some time now have been weak at protecting leads.
Losing games in third period.
Special teams.
In game adjustments.
Team to team strategies.
Playing according to score and clock.

All coaching.

Pens started out good last night. For 10 minutes. Then when in-game adjustments, line matching , special teams cime into play as game progresses.....SPLAT.

The Pens are no contender we all know that. But this team is in the play offs the least two years with a fresh coaching staff implementing professional coaching strategies. Period.

What a waste.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad