GDT: Game 2/82 Blues vs Sharks 9:30PM CST ESPN+/HULU

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
If a Bolduc is a health scratch for the first two games, then I will quickly hop on the Fire Bannister train.
If he made the team, he’ll play. Maybe he’s dinged up a bit. He seemed to tail off in camp.

I trust this management to prioritize top prospect development over squeezing blood from a turnip in the regular season.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It could simply be that he didn't quite make the team and will go back when Saad is available, but they value the practices with the NHL team for him over practicing with the AHL team
It’s also a much bigger paycheck for the player, which could play a role.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It could simply be that he didn't quite make the team and will go back when Saad is available, but they value the practices with the NHL team for him over practicing with the AHL team
I think this is the answer, unfortunately.

We will need to make a roster move when Saad comes back and Bolduc is the easy one to send down.

It will get a bit trickier when we activate Sundqvist. When that happens, if we are still healthy, I think a decision has to finally come to move Perunovich. Not gonna have room for his roster spot.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
yes, both are equally plausible

edit: all three are plausible
What I care about most is that, hopefully, expectations have already been set and that there isn't any mixed messaging. It's probably a case of us not knowing what those set expectations are.

And the Saad-baby thing totally slipped my mind, so it makes more sense now.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
It’s also a much bigger paycheck for the player, which could play a role.

I think the importance of the paycheck is something that is easy for us fans to overlook. He's done receiving signing bonuses. If he were to spend the entire season in the AHL, he would actually make less money than he did during his final 2 years in junior.

His AHL salary is $80,000 per year. He makes $4,336 every day he is on the road plus a $132 per diem every day the team is on the road. Leaving him on the roster for the first week of the season would get him about $31k in earnings before getting sent down, which helps ease the sting quite a bit.

He hasn't earned nearly enough money in his career to not really notice an extra $30k. That's the type of thing that can go a long way toward building the relationship with a young player who is eating bad news.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think the importance of the paycheck is something that is easy for us fans to overlook. He's done receiving signing bonuses. If he were to spend the entire season in the AHL, he would actually make less money than he did during his final 2 years in junior.

His AHL salary is $80,000 per year. He makes $4,336 every day he is on the road plus a $132 per diem every day the team is on the road. Leaving him on the roster for the first week of the season would get him about $31k in earnings before getting sent down, which helps ease the sting quite a bit.

He hasn't earned nearly enough money in his career to not really notice an extra $30k. That's the type of thing that can go a long way toward building the relationship with a young player who is eating bad news.
100%. You've consistently posted within a context of earnings potential.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We need to win this game tonight. The Sharks d-core is legitimately one of the worst I’ve ever seen.
Yup. The 2nd game of the year is never actually 'must-win' but this is the type of game that you have to win if you want fans to believe that you are actually pushing for the playoffs.

The Sharks should be better than last year, but they still aren't going to be good. Their top 2 centers are both teenagers making their NHL debut. We got the chance to shake preseason rust off on Tuesday and that game was early enough that we should have landed in San Jose early enough to get 2 good nights of sleep. We sucked against the Sharks last year and losing the them twice in the last month was the absolute final nail in our playoff hopes.

There are zero excuses to have a slow start tonight and unless we just get goalie'd there are no excuses for losing this game. Going to Vegas in the 2nd half of a B2B (while they are rested) is going to be a real tough battle. Need to get 2 points tonight.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
We need to win this game tonight. The Sharks d-core is legitimately one of the worst I’ve ever seen.
100%. Absolutely have to win considering we have to play Vegas tomorrow, and just psychologically it would prevent the team from getting into that mindset of “here we go again” dropping games to this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad