GDT: Game 1/2- Habs vs Leafs Prospects - Sept 14- 1pm EST RDS1 & YouTube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The 1st and 3rd Hab goals are both results of Reinbachers transition play the other way.
With one of the goals giving him an Assist.
So I'm really not sure what people are freaking out about lol
He makes any team he is on *better*, so I don't know why you wouldn't want a player like this on your team?

If anything it was Mailloux that could of looked a little bit better out there
I bet he has a big game tomorrow

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
See Reinbacher as a mix between Wade Redden and Chris Phillips. But not at 19. FFS…
The difference between those two guys is massive, both in calibre and stylistically. Redden was like twice the D Phillips was.

Phillips was a vanilla stay-at-home 2nd/3rd pair tweener. Picture a less physical David Savard. And that’s prime Chris Phillips. He was a bottom pairing/7th D for the better part of his back 9 years.

Redden was a legitimate two-way #1D, among the top D in the league in his prime. A guy like Pietrangelo is a good modern comparison, in terms of calibre. The Sens chose him over Chara lol, which looks terrible in hindsight, but was a decision most people would’ve made at the time.

As for Reinbacher, I thought he could possibly become that two-way all around #1D in the mold of guys like Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Redden, but at this point, I no longer think that’s going to happen. He’s not trending well, imo. Sure, there’s time left, he could turn things around and still become the above type of player. I just don’t think it’s likely.

Now, I think we’re looking at a 2nd pairing guy in terms of upside. Better than a guy like Chris Phillips, imo, but not a #1D or top pairing on a good team. I’ve said for a while, I see a lot of Patrice Brisebois in this guy - bigger guy, mobile, moves the puck well, decent defensively, decent offensively, but not physical or elite in any area. A legit top-4 D. Brisebois gets a bad rap here because the Habs tried to play him like an elite #1D with an absolute dogshit team around him. He got burned a few times in highlight reel fashion and that’s what people remembered, forgetting that he was a decent player.

Of course around here if you say anything other than DR becoming an elite #1D, you’ll get attacked because most fans can’t separate what they want to happen from what is realistic.

Reinbacher just isn’t trending like a future #1D. My opinion. Be mad at that if you want to.

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss and mdk

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Of course around here if you say anything other than DR becoming an elite #1D, you’ll get attacked because most fans can’t separate what they want to happen from what is realistic.

Reinbacher just isn’t trending like a future #1D. My opinion. Be mad at that if you want to.

I'm not mad at you, I'd say that it is way too soon to make such claim. DR has had an up-and-down season last year in Switzerland with an injury and three different coaches + coming over to Laval very late in the season. Maybe give him some time to get settled in North America?

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I'm not mad at you, I'd say that it is way too soon to make such claim. DR has had an up-and-down season last year in Switzerland with an injury and three different coaches + coming over to Laval very late in the season. Maybe give him some time to get settled in North America?
I am giving it time. I made no definitive claims; I only shared my opinion on what I think is likely based on what I’ve seen so far. I said that there is the possibility that his trajectory changes and starts trending upward and that he does become that #1D. Again, I just don’t think it’s likely.

Reactions: ThaDevilGirl

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Honestly curious how many of the top 15dmen in the league you think were playing at a demonstrably higher level in their D2 season start than RB...

2024 Norris top 10 voting

1Quinn Hughes - sure/maybe
2Roman Josi - nope
3Cale Makar - maybe
4Adam Fox - nope
5Evan Bouchard - nope
6Victor Hedman - yup
7Josh Morrissey - nope
8Noah Dobson - nope
9Gustav Forsling - nope
10Miro Heiskanen - sure
11Drew Doughty - yup
12Mattias Ekholm - nope
13Charlie McAvoy - maybe
14Jaccob Slavin - nope
15Rasmus Dahlin - yup

Not sure what your idea of "trending" is, but his current play level most definitely situated him on par with "future #1D" to the degree that current #1Ds trended at their respective D2 season starts.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Engstrom was particularly bad. Outside of his goal, so many turnovers. He was doing Kovaceviks left and right.

Mailloux is NHL ready confirmed. Snake Boisvert should be confirmed as a snake oil seller soon. Reinbacher was decent. Elite first pass. He was dragged by Engstrom.

Good showing by Bech. Eager to see his camp

Florian will be fun to follow in Laval.

Mesar, Heineman and Ferrell and flops. I didn't see Tuch.
Farrell a flop? Sounds bad for him. He put up big numbers with the Steele and in college. This season probably make or break for him.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Honestly curious how many of the top 15dmen in the league you think were playing at a demonstrably higher level in their D2 season start than RB...

2024 Norris top 10 voting

1Quinn Hughes - sure/maybe
2Roman Josi - nope
3Cale Makar - maybe
4Adam Fox - nope
5Evan Bouchard - nope
6Victor Hedman - yup
7Josh Morrissey - nope
8Noah Dobson - nope
9Gustav Forsling - nope
10Miro Heiskanen - sure
11Drew Doughty - yup
12Mattias Ekholm - nope
13Charlie McAvoy - maybe
14Jaccob Slavin - nope
15Rasmus Dahlin - yup

Not sure what your idea of "trending" is, but his current play level most definitely situated him on par with "future #1D" to the degree that current #1Ds trended at their respective D2 season starts.
The thing that stands out immediately here is that you can split these guys into two distinct groups: top 10 picks, and non-top-10 picks.

He has nothing in common with the latter group in terms of pedigree, development trajectory, etc. The majority of the guys in the latter group were picked in the mid rounds - it makes no sense to compare him with these guys.

Interestingly, all the guys that you stated were performing better than him at the same age were top-10 picks like he was. Which leads us to the conclusion; he isn’t performing up to the standard of his draft position, not if he’s going to become a top D in the league. How’s that for “trending”?

Furthermore, if you do insist on comparing him to the second group (non-top-10 picks), every single one of them showed clear progression every year after being drafted. David Reinbacher regressed in his D+1 year, and not just statistically either. And he looks lacklustre and underwhelming already this year, but again, it’s still early. Not encouraging, however, to say the least.

Lastly, you weren’t even honest with your comparisons in that list. Josi, Fox, Bouchard, Dobson, and Ekholm all had pretty clearly better D+1 seasons than Reinbacher did in comparison, both in terms of performance, and progression. Reinbacher wasn’t automatically better just because he played in a pro league. He did not play well in that league. Those other guys all either progressed and took bigger roles on their teams, or they moved to a higher level of competition. Reinbacher did none of those things. You could argue that Reinbacher played on a bad team, but then one could also argue that it should’ve been an opportunity to rise to the occasion and distinguish himself. He did not. As I said before, his regression wasn’t only in terms of production. He just did not play well all around.

The most apt comparison would be to find a D drafted high, who regressed in his D+1 year, but then righted the ship and still ended up becoming a top NHL defenseman. I don’t think there are any who fit the bill, at least not among the current top 15 or so D in the league.

Like I said, he’s not trending well, not for a supposed future top D, and not for a 5th overall pick. What’s been pretty clearly demonstrated here is that he is trending worse at the same age than pretty much every guy on the list you posted. That doesn’t bode well for his prospects of joining the ranks of this calibre of D in the future.

Last edited:

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
The thing that stands out immediately here is that you can split these guys into two distinct groups: top 10 picks, and non-top-10 picks.

He has nothing in common with the latter group in terms of pedigree, development trajectory, etc. The majority of the guys in the latter group were picked in the mid rounds - it makes no sense to compare him with these guys.

Interestingly, all the guys that you stated were performing better than him at the same age were top-10 picks like he was. Which leads us to the conclusion; he isn’t performing up to the standard of his draft position, not if he’s going to become a top D in the league. How’s that for “trending”?

Furthermore, if you do insist on comparing him to the second group (non-top-10 picks), every single one of them showed clear progression every year after being drafted. David Reinbacher regressed in his D+1 year, and not just statistically either. And he looks lacklustre and underwhelming already this year, but again, it’s still early. Not encouraging, however, to say the least.

Lastly, you weren’t even honest with your comparisons in that list. Josi, Fox, Bouchard, Dobson, and Ekholm all had pretty clearly better D+1 seasons than Reinbacher did in comparison, both in terms of performance, and progression. Reinbacher wasn’t automatically better just because he played in a pro league. He did not play well in that league. Those other guys all either progressed and took bigger roles on their teams, or they moved to a higher level of competition. Reinbacher did none of those things. You could argue that Reinbacher played on a bad team, but then one could also argue that it should’ve been an opportunity to rise to the occasion and distinguish himself. He did not. As I said before, his regression wasn’t only in terms of production. He just did not play well all around.

The most apt comparison would be to find a D drafted high, who regressed in his D+1 year, but then righted the ship and still ended up becoming a top NHL defenseman. I don’t think there are any who fit the bill, at least not among the current top 15 or so D in the league.

Like I said, he’s not trending well, not for a supposed future top D, and not for a 5th overall pick. What’s been pretty clearly demonstrated here is that he is trending worse at the same age than pretty much every guy on the list you posted. That doesn’t bode well for his prospects of joining the ranks of this calibre of D in the future.
slafkovsky was "trending" towards the worst 1st overall pick in history according to some. :rolleyes:

ryan mcdonnagh, 12th overall, stagnated/regressed during his three years in wisconsin, yet still ended up pretty good dman. same happened with sergachev in his d+1 season. victor hedman coudn't break 30 pts until his d+5 season...

development isn't linear.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The 1st and 3rd Hab goals are both results of Reinbachers transition play the other way.
With one of the goals giving him an Assist.
So I'm really not sure what people are freaking out about lol
He makes any team he is on *better*, so I don't know why you wouldn't want a player like this on your team?

If anything it was Mailloux that could of looked a little bit better out there
I bet he has a big game tomorrow
Lack of WOW factor because we all know nothing matters more than

1726395133091.gif

Reactions: Redux91

durojean

May 29, 2007

I feel like it was just a prospects game. Let’s give him the season and see his plays when games actually matters and on a long scale.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
The difference between those two guys is massive, both in calibre and stylistically. Redden was like twice the D Phillips was.

Phillips was a vanilla stay-at-home 2nd/3rd pair tweener. Picture a less physical David Savard. And that’s prime Chris Phillips. He was a bottom pairing/7th D for the better part of his back 9 years.

Redden was a legitimate two-way #1D, among the top D in the league in his prime. A guy like Pietrangelo is a good modern comparison, in terms of calibre. The Sens chose him over Chara lol, which looks terrible in hindsight, but was a decision most people would’ve made at the time.

As for Reinbacher, I thought he could possibly become that two-way all around #1D in the mold of guys like Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Redden, but at this point, I no longer think that’s going to happen. He’s not trending well, imo. Sure, there’s time left, he could turn things around and still become the above type of player. I just don’t think it’s likely.

Now, I think we’re looking at a 2nd pairing guy in terms of upside. Better than a guy like Chris Phillips, imo, but not a #1D or top pairing on a good team. I’ve said for a while, I see a lot of Patrice Brisebois in this guy - bigger guy, mobile, moves the puck well, decent defensively, decent offensively, but not physical or elite in any area. A legit top-4 D. Brisebois gets a bad rap here because the Habs tried to play him like an elite #1D with an absolute dogshit team around him. He got burned a few times in highlight reel fashion and that’s what people remembered, forgetting that he was a decent player.

I grew up in Ottawa and followed the early sens. Phillips was a classic D first guy. As Wade was more offence. That said, Wade never scored much more than 40 points at his peak and only scored 200 more points than Chris in careers that spanned over 1000 games.
Chris was a 1st overall. Wade wasn’t even chosen first overall in his draft! Brian Bérard was… and as for Chara? He was chosen in the 3rd round so I find that comparison a little disingenuous. How many teams passed on him that year. Chris also averaged over 20 minutes a game to the end of his career so the 7th D claim in his last 9 years is false. Redden was seen as more of a letdown due to substance abuse I believe.

This is another example of how flash creates the illusion of a better D. It’s simply not the case. Flashy D NEED the Philips type D to the do the heavy lifting. Philips was a workhorse that Reinbacher will be for us as well although a higher ceiling.

Last edited:

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Hutson is in a class of his own..

Mailloux, Engstrom, Reinbacher are pretty good but no slam dunk there.

Still think we need a first pairing RHD to play with Hutson. A Pietrangelo/Doughty/Toews type of D.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Fans in general have associated top D with highlight reel offence. Unfortunately the Norris keeps supporting that. True hard to play every night shutdown D are very rare in the NHL as well just not flashy. When we start seeing very little of top stars because they have to face DR, hopefully those fans will start to put it together.
I said it two seasons ago awarding the Norris to EK was puke worthy IMO
I don't care how many points you put up on the back end when you end up at -26.
He wasn't playing defense that is for sure he won the trophy as a fourth forward.
This past season he played as a Dman on a better team and his production was almost halved.

I didn't have a problem with Fox or Makar or Hughes as they all put up positive numbers for there respective teams.
This is what has to eventually happen with Lane Hutson's game. I'm confident it will happen but not overnight I don't think.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Farrell a flop? Sounds bad for him. He put up big numbers with the Steele and in college. This season probably make or break for him.
Sean's greatest enemy is that our depth has surpassed him. Small guy suffering injury will bring out questions like it did with Cole.
Caufield bounced back and hopefully Farrell can as well but I really don't see a role he can win on the Big Club.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
But Hutson played vs ahlers. The opposition wasn't regular nhlers. They looked like rookies and they were rookies.
That goes both ways..his teammates were rookies too though. He set up a bunch of plays yesterday for others but we had no finish. Can you imagine him playing with 4 other NHL caliber weapons on the ice that are able to bury chances. He's gonna be a force.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes he will. But to protect the New Brunswick uni goalie, it would’ve been nice to not further humiliate the kid and have someone that can step in to save in. I feel bad for Richard.
Why protect? That's an opportunity of a lifetime for him.

Reactions: Gustave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad