GDT: Game 1/2- Habs vs Leafs Prospects - Sept 14- 1pm EST RDS1 & YouTube

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That goes both ways..his teammates were rookies too though. He set up a bunch of plays yesterday for others but we had no finish. Can you imagine him playing with 4 other NHL caliber weapons on the ice that are able to bury chances. He's gonna be a force.
Yeah for offence it will help a lot. No questions about it, he will have finishers to pass the puck, not Farrells, lol. But when he defies one-on-one an opponant, his opponant will be better, faster and more experienced. So we can expect some turn-overs too. At the end we make the balance with the + and the -.

Reactions: Adriatic

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Don’t forget Reinbacher is the youngest of our top D prospects and already has two years pro. For those who watched today, Dr can play. He was solid. Wasn’t getting pinched in, turning pucks over, lost in his own end etc. He will be our top pairing guy with Hutson in two years

From what I saw of the game, Reinbacher was by far the most reliable D. He covers a ton of ice and he has a beautiful first pass. He had one turnover early in the game, but it was due to our fwrds being static, he didn't have many options.

I felt safe when he was on the ice compared to our other prospects. He's just unspectacular, but his offense will come through the more he gains confidence. Like it did in his first year in the NLA.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Why protect? That's an opportunity of a lifetime for him.
Fair question; I like the half and half games (30 mins each) for the kids. They get a good game? Great my friend, enjoy the opportunity of another half in the next game. Bad game? Ok, maybe today wasn’t your best day but tomorrow you get another half to show your resolve.

Reactions: 417

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Fair question; I like the half and half games (30 mins each) for the kids. They get a good game? Great my friend, enjoy the opportunity of another half in the next game. Bad game? Ok, maybe today wasn’t your best day but tomorrow you get another half to show your resolve.

He wasn’t that bad, ok he’s not a 6’7 AHL goalie but to blame him for the losses, meh

The forward group was the disappointment in that game especially the top6 except maybe Beck.

Reactions: Anardil and Gustave

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The thing that stands out immediately here is that you can split these guys into two distinct groups: top 10 picks, and non-top-10 picks.

He has nothing in common with the latter group in terms of pedigree, development trajectory, etc. The majority of the guys in the latter group were picked in the mid rounds - it makes no sense to compare him with these guys.

Interestingly, all the guys that you stated were performing better than him at the same age were top-10 picks like he was. Which leads us to the conclusion; he isn’t performing up to the standard of his draft position, not if he’s going to become a top D in the league. How’s that for “trending”?

Furthermore, if you do insist on comparing him to the second group (non-top-10 picks), every single one of them showed clear progression every year after being drafted. David Reinbacher regressed in his D+1 year, and not just statistically either. And he looks lacklustre and underwhelming already this year, but again, it’s still early. Not encouraging, however, to say the least.

Lastly, you weren’t even honest with your comparisons in that list. Josi, Fox, Bouchard, Dobson, and Ekholm all had pretty clearly better D+1 seasons than Reinbacher did in comparison, both in terms of performance, and progression. Reinbacher wasn’t automatically better just because he played in a pro league. He did not play well in that league. Those other guys all either progressed and took bigger roles on their teams, or they moved to a higher level of competition. Reinbacher did none of those things. You could argue that Reinbacher played on a bad team, but then one could also argue that it should’ve been an opportunity to rise to the occasion and distinguish himself. He did not. As I said before, his regression wasn’t only in terms of production. He just did not play well all around.

The most apt comparison would be to find a D drafted high, who regressed in his D+1 year, but then righted the ship and still ended up becoming a top NHL defenseman. I don’t think there are any who fit the bill, at least not among the current top 15 or so D in the league.

Like I said, he’s not trending well, not for a supposed future top D, and not for a 5th overall pick. What’s been pretty clearly demonstrated here is that he is trending worse at the same age than pretty much every guy on the list you posted. That doesn’t bode well for his prospects of joining the ranks of this calibre of D in the future.
Couldn't disagree more with just about everything in this post.

I think it best to leave it there. Enjoy :dunno:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I guess but the stakes aren’t as high in these games as fans make it to be.

Reactions: Gustave

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
slafkovsky was "trending" towards the worst 1st overall pick in history according to some. :rolleyes:

ryan mcdonnagh, 12th overall, stagnated/regressed during his three years in wisconsin, yet still ended up pretty good dman. same happened with sergachev in his d+1 season. victor hedman coudn't break 30 pts until his d+5 season...

development isn't linear.
It’s funny you say that to me about Slafkovsky. I was one of the biggest proponents of him on here from the very start, from just before the draft, all through the struggles, to his inevitable breakout. Never doubted the pick, or thought we should’ve took anyone else. People shitting on him were the ones who wanted Shane Wright, which was the majority of this board.

And lol about McDonagh regressing in college. He improved every year overall, and was his team’s best all around D. Revisionist history.

Same thing with Sergachev. His production dipped slightly in his D+1 (not anywhere close to the extent that Reinbacher’s did), but his overall play improved, and he was still his team’s #1 option on D. Reinbacher saw a massive drop in production and his overall play regressed hard too. Not similar at all.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
From what I saw of the game, Reinbacher was by far the most reliable D. He covers a ton of ice and he has a beautiful first pass. He had one turnover early in the game, but it was due to our fwrds being static, he didn't have many options.

I felt safe when he was on the ice compared to our other prospects. He's just unspectacular, but his offense will come through the more he gains confidence. Like it did in his first year in the NLA.
Great observation Skip. When you watch the game tape, he is really effective and rarely makes mistakes. As a rookie D? That’s amazing. I’m stoked that we have this defensive stalwart on OUR team

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
It’s funny you say that to me about Slafkovsky. I was one of the biggest proponents of him on here from the very start, from just before the draft, all through the struggles, to his inevitable breakout. Never doubted the pick, or thought we should’ve took anyone else. People shitting on him were the ones who wanted Shane Wright, which was the majority of this board.
then you shouldn't make the same mistake that others had made with slaf. rb could break out in year or two just like slaf did. they are/were in pretty comparable situations.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The difference between those two guys is massive, both in calibre and stylistically. Redden was like twice the D Phillips was.

Phillips was a vanilla stay-at-home 2nd/3rd pair tweener. Picture a less physical David Savard. And that’s prime Chris Phillips. He was a bottom pairing/7th D for the better part of his back 9 years.

Redden was a legitimate two-way #1D, among the top D in the league in his prime. A guy like Pietrangelo is a good modern comparison, in terms of calibre. The Sens chose him over Chara lol, which looks terrible in hindsight, but was a decision most people would’ve made at the time.

As for Reinbacher, I thought he could possibly become that two-way all around #1D in the mold of guys like Pietrangelo, McDonagh, Redden, but at this point, I no longer think that’s going to happen. He’s not trending well, imo. Sure, there’s time left, he could turn things around and still become the above type of player. I just don’t think it’s likely.

Now, I think we’re looking at a 2nd pairing guy in terms of upside. Better than a guy like Chris Phillips, imo, but not a #1D or top pairing on a good team. I’ve said for a while, I see a lot of Patrice Brisebois in this guy - bigger guy, mobile, moves the puck well, decent defensively, decent offensively, but not physical or elite in any area. A legit top-4 D. Brisebois gets a bad rap here because the Habs tried to play him like an elite #1D with an absolute dogshit team around him. He got burned a few times in highlight reel fashion and that’s what people remembered, forgetting that he was a decent player.

Of course around here if you say anything other than DR becoming an elite #1D, you’ll get attacked because most fans can’t separate what they want to happen from what is realistic.

Reinbacher just isn’t trending like a future #1D. My opinion. Be mad at that if you want to.
He’s 19 years old ffs. What the f

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The thing that stands out immediately here is that you can split these guys into two distinct groups: top 10 picks, and non-top-10 picks.

He has nothing in common with the latter group in terms of pedigree, development trajectory, etc. The majority of the guys in the latter group were picked in the mid rounds - it makes no sense to compare him with these guys.

Interestingly, all the guys that you stated were performing better than him at the same age were top-10 picks like he was. Which leads us to the conclusion; he isn’t performing up to the standard of his draft position, not if he’s going to become a top D in the league. How’s that for “trending”?

Furthermore, if you do insist on comparing him to the second group (non-top-10 picks), every single one of them showed clear progression every year after being drafted. David Reinbacher regressed in his D+1 year, and not just statistically either. And he looks lacklustre and underwhelming already this year, but again, it’s still early. Not encouraging, however, to say the least.

Lastly, you weren’t even honest with your comparisons in that list. Josi, Fox, Bouchard, Dobson, and Ekholm all had pretty clearly better D+1 seasons than Reinbacher did in comparison, both in terms of performance, and progression. Reinbacher wasn’t automatically better just because he played in a pro league. He did not play well in that league. Those other guys all either progressed and took bigger roles on their teams, or they moved to a higher level of competition. Reinbacher did none of those things. You could argue that Reinbacher played on a bad team, but then one could also argue that it should’ve been an opportunity to rise to the occasion and distinguish himself. He did not. As I said before, his regression wasn’t only in terms of production. He just did not play well all around.

The most apt comparison would be to find a D drafted high, who regressed in his D+1 year, but then righted the ship and still ended up becoming a top NHL defenseman. I don’t think there are any who fit the bill, at least not among the current top 15 or so D in the league.

Like I said, he’s not trending well, not for a supposed future top D, and not for a 5th overall pick. What’s been pretty clearly demonstrated here is that he is trending worse at the same age than pretty much every guy on the list you posted. That doesn’t bode well for his prospects of joining the ranks of this calibre of D in the future.
Wall of text.

Reactions: Miller Time

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
only scored 200 more points than Chris in careers that spanned over 1000 games.
That’s a funny way of saying that Redden nearly doubled Phillips’ production in less games.
Chris was a 1st overall. Wade wasn’t even chosen first overall in his draft!
Right, Phillips was taken 1st overall in the consensus worst draft of all time. Redden was taken 2nd overall the year prior. What does this have to do with how their careers turned out again?
and as for Chara? He was chosen in the 3rd round so I find that comparison a little disingenuous.
What comparison?
Chris also averaged over 20 minutes a game to the end of his career so the 7th D claim in his last 9 years is false.
So did Josh Gorges, pretty much. So what?
This is another example of how flash creates the illusion of a better D. It’s simply not the case. Flashy D NEED the Philips type D to the do the heavy lifting.
Lol Redden wasn’t flashy at all. He was a strong two-way DPE defenseman. During their time together in Ottawa, Redden had a stretch where he averaged top 10 in Norris voting for 6 straight years, and averaged more than 5:00 minutes per game more than Phillips. But Phillips was “doing the heavy lifting”? Lmao, right. Phillips never finished higher than 18th in Norris voting, which he did twice, and those were the only years where he got votes at all. During their time in Ottawa, Redden was just better, by a landslide. That “heavy lifting” line is cracking me up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: nicehiss

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Farrell a flop? Sounds bad for him. He put up big numbers with the Steele and in college. This season probably make or break for him.

He' just not strong enough. I don't think this year is a make or break, but he needs to get stronger. He's too soft and not talented enough to get away with it. He reminds me of a buffalo sabres player.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

Reinbacher has playoff monster written all over him. He's a guy you win a cup with in the lineup. there's a reason why teams tried to trade up for him. I'm not sure he'll be a regular season player, like I think Hutson will be, but when it gets tight and a bit nasty he's a guy you want playing 25 minutes a night.

Now that we have demidov, it looks like Hughes made the right decision, as our top 9 is coming together especially with the laine trade this summer.

I hope we go d next draft.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Reinbacher has playoff monster written all over him. He's a guy you win a cup with in the lineup. there's a reason why teams tried to trade up for him. I'm not sure he'll be a regular season player, like I think Hutson will be, but when it gets tight and a bit nasty he's a guy you want playing 25 minutes a night.

Now that we have demidov, it looks like Hughes made the right decision, as our top 9 is coming together especially with the laine trade this summer.

Depends where the Habs pick. There are a lot of forwards in the top 10 so if one of their picks ends up there it will likely be a forward.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021

Agreed he will be a playoff monster. Depending where we draft…. If we’re around 10th I personally like Spence a lot. Big winger that plays with a lot of Jam. Tkatchuk style. That’s a profile of player we don’t really have nd he should be ranked around there when draft comes around.

Reactions: Nedved

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I've put a like on your post. I didn't see him yesterday enough to have an opinion but this is what I expect from him, from the few times I saw him in Laval and his Kloten Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad