Rumor: Gagner New Captain?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I have to defend gagner. so many people are trying to make him sound like he isn't even qualified to be a 4th line benchwarmer playing two minutes a night.

ok so maybe he doesn't have the same compete level Smyth had in his prime, but he has a heck of a lot more "try" than the majority of the oilers in the last 5 years.

I dont think anyone is saying that. They are saying that his effort level and how he "never takes a night off", his continued improvement in every aspect of his game, his great leadership qualities, his standing up for teammates is all greatly exaggerated.

Sure he a lot of try on most nights. Gagner is an above average 2nd line centre in terms of the points he puts up every season. He just can't play defense. Part of the reason for that is that he hasn't the strength to win puck battles. The rest is that he doesn't seem to know where to go in his own end. Gagner is gritty - just that he has the grit of a mosquito. He battles. He just always loses.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Sam Tebow for Edmonton Mayor and Team Captain. he will skirt around issues like he skirts around dirty areas. then will sweep in like a vulture for the heroic moment. Taylor Hall isnt ready for that type of pressure.

the "dressing room" argument for a captain is so hilarious.

just hire Tony Robbins to be the captain-of-the-locker-room with Katz's sick drug-bucks.
he can run the boom box and pick up coffee too.

What in the flying **** is this?

What is your point? I don't think you have one.

This is the pinnacle of Sam Gagner posts here folks.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I dont think anyone is saying that. They are saying that his effort level and how he "never takes a night off", his continued improvement in every aspect of his game, his great leadership qualities, his standing up for teammates is all greatly exaggerated.

Sure he a lot of try on most nights. Gagner is an above average 2nd line centre in terms of the points he puts up every season. He just can't play defense. Part of the reason for that is that he hasn't the strength to win puck battles. The rest is that he doesn't seem to know where to go in his own end. Gagner is gritty - just that he has the grit of a mosquito. He battles. He just always loses.

but for the topic on hand. I don't hate the idea of him as captain. I don't think it's the best choice, but I also don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he has the makings of a captain.

I think it should be, and will be Hall. But we'll see, I suppose.

(I also don't think that what a player does in his personal life should make a difference in the selection, like some people think. If a guy likes a couple of beers and chases girls, I don't care)

Oct 15, 2008
I dont know what is more embarrassing.

The fact the Oilers might actually do this.

Or the fact that so many are supporting it.

Last edited:

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
What in the flying **** is this?

What is your point? I don't think you have one.

This is the pinnacle of Sam Gagner posts here folks.

that hes overrated BRO TOWN. and making fun of all the love for second rate / "B" tier players in this fan base. it's kind of embarrassing that after this long of "rebuilding" and putting up with crap teams, theyd make this move.
also, laughing at the people trying to talk about "THE DRESSING ROOM" as some main argument.

dude doesnt deserve to be the captain of an NHL team when he shows up so ******* inconsistently.

XxSnipEzZ93

Jun 25, 2013
Edmonton AB
Just my personal opinion, not that it matters but if I was Eakins I'd have; Captain: Andrew Ference, Assistant: Taylor Hall, Assistant: Ryan Smyth

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
^^^ it's a bit much. I'm not a huge Gagner fan either but he's a true pro and great individual, as a person I mean. Really hoping for a good, consistent year out of him, team needs it.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
I dont know what is more embarrassing.

The fact the Oilers might actually do this.

Or the fact that so many are supporting it.

It's neither. The most embarrassing thing is this:

that hes overrated BRO TOWN. and making fun of all the love for second rate / "B" tier players in this fan base. it's kind of embarrassing that after this long of "rebuilding" and putting up with crap teams, theyd make this move.
also, laughing at the people trying to talk about "THE DRESSING ROOM" as some main argument.

dude doesnt deserve to be the captain of an NHL team when he shows up so ******* inconsistently.

Billybaroo*

Whats embarrasing is posts like this that have no clue.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This thread should serve for some to be a truly cathartic moment. It should the moment you realize you Honestly and Truly don't like the team and/or sport, and maybe it's best to invest this energy elsewhere.

surshot*

Its kinda embarrassing that you think making fun is being un-witty and writing like a valley girl dude. Try to at least be funny if you wanna make fun otherwise your doing yourself a disservice!. :yo:

surshot*

Nailed it.

I don't understand the Gagner haters arguments, because they are so poorly constructed.

Yeah, this is a great example how crappy this fanbase can be. Always the same people too.

The fan base is fine, we just have a small number of militants hiding in the bushes with worn out keyboards.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
This thread should serve for some to be a truly cathartic moment. It should the moment you realize you Honestly and Truly don't like the team and/or sport, and maybe it's best to invest this energy elsewhere.

On the one hand these people you're addressing are so fanatical about the Oilers that they waste huge chunks of their days reading and posting on an internet forum dedicated to the team.

On the other hand they think the team's second line centre is overrated and doesn't deserve to be made captain.

Your conclusion: they hate the team and hockey in general.

With deductive abilities like that it is small wonder that you come away from an Oilers' game thinking Sammy Snowpants is a great hockey player.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
On the one hand these people you're addressing are so fanatical about the Oilers that they waste huge chunks of their days reading and posting on an internet forum dedicated to the team.

On the other hand they think the team's second line centre is overrated and doesn't deserve to be made captain.

Your conclusion: they hate the team and hockey in general.

With deductive abilities like that it is small wonder that you come away from an Oilers' game thinking Sammy Snowpants is a great hockey player.

When you can invest this much pointless vitriol into something that has SUCH a miminal affect on you as a fan, and to something that you have SO LITTLE insight into, maybe it's at the point where, yes, you don't like the team and sport as much as you think you do. Not really complicated when you really look at it.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Not sure how to put this.

I'm a known Gagner fan. Positive about the player, prospects, and what that brings. But this doesn't stop me from acknowledging there can, and should, be other opinions on the player and supporting the right for natural dialogue and discussion on this. Which I sometimes engage in.

But the one thing I ask in this is that the counters be somewhat well thought out, well constructed, and actually say something. Too much of the criticism has been ineffectual noise that barely rises above rabble.

By all means invoke criticism. But make it a good argument. Not one full of holes.

An actual discussion being more respectful because it actually attempts to engage in discussion rather than the obtuse obfuscation of truth...;)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not an elite player.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Not that I want people to go back and point them out but I don't think this thread has been that bad.

The pro Gagner's are exaggerating in his favor and the anti are exaggerating against but most are right in the middle with the truth.

Gagner is not horrible.

But he would be a poor choice to be captain only because Hall is obviously the best choice.

There is a similar post on the Isles board but they are much more united in their support of Tavares.

Rather than supporting this ludicrous rumor that Gagner should/could be Captain we really should just be supporting the only real option and that is Taylor Hall.

Good post.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

Gagner is not horrible.

I dont think the only real option is Taylor Hall because Ference would be 10x the captain that Hall could be based on how much maturing Taylor Hall still has to do. I would be perfectly fine with not even having a captain this year

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Gagner is not horrible.

I haven't read much, if any, of this. I have read alot of over the top stupid rage related to the speculation though.

And right at the end you submarine anything you accomplished with the rest of the post.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Gagner is not horrible.

Is he? Why? Hall is obviously the superior player, but why does that automatically make him the better choice for captain?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People here are obsessed with making the best player on the team captain.

The capitals have done squat with ovechkin as captain. Meanwhile the Kings have won 6 playoff rounds with Dustin Brown as captain in the last two years.

The players know each other better than anyone on this forum.

For all we know, Taylor Hall may have privately turned down the captaincy or suggested Gagner instead.

The venom in this thread is ridiculous and the people posting without any sort of valid point should be ashamed of themselves.

"Sam Tebow" my behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad