Rumor: Gagner New Captain?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Is he? Why? Hall is obviously the superior player, but why does that automatically make him the better choice for captain?

This is my question as well.

Other than Hall's superiority on the ice surface, and being a fan favorite player, what exactly qualifies him as our next captain?

Hey, I'm all for Hall being captain....if he deserves it. Ditto for Gags, Smid, hell, even Ryan Smyth.

As long as the next captain has the qualities to lead the team to the next level, I'm happy with the informed decision that whoever picks him will make.

The only place that there should be a discussion on this subject is the Oilers dressing room. And I'm guessing that none of the posters here are within that scene.

Billybaroo*

On the one hand these people you're addressing are so fanatical about the Oilers that they waste huge chunks of their days reading and posting on an internet forum dedicated to the team.

On the other hand they think the team's second line centre is overrated and doesn't deserve to be made captain.

Your conclusion: they hate the team and hockey in general.

With deductive abilities like that it is small wonder that you come away from an Oilers' game thinking Sammy Snowpants is a great hockey player.

Yeah, thats it.
Clueless.
Absolutly pathetic

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
People here are obsessed with making the best player on the team captain.

The capitals have done squat with ovechkin as captain. Meanwhile the Kings have won 6 playoff rounds with Dustin Brown as captain in the last two years.

The players know each other better than anyone on this forum.

For all we know, Taylor Hall may have privately turned down the captaincy or suggested Gagner instead.

The venom in this thread is ridiculous and the people posting without any sort of valid point should be ashamed of themselves.

"Sam Tebow" my behind.

The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team but he has to be a high end player that is part of the core.

Dustin Brown is one of the best two-way players in the NHL, has played in an all-star game, and is a fixture on the US Olympic team.

Sam Gagner is the sixth best offensive forward on his team. He is one of the worst defensive forwards on his team. He has never been invited to an all-star game. He hasn't been invited to represent Canada at the World Championships since 2008 (where he was a healthy scratch). He isn't part of the Oilers' core.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
My problem with the Gagner bashing is "Does anyone know what criteria that a player makes a good captain?"

Gainey over Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, AND Lapointe?

Those Habs were such idiots.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
All of the young players have talked about how Gagner has helped transition them into the NHL. I think he may have more of an impact in the dressing room than some of you haters will admit. I don't think he is the ideal candidate but I wouldn't be upset if he was named the next captain.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
My problem with the Gagner bashing is "Does anyone know what criteria that a player makes a good captain?"

Gainey over Lafleur, Shutt, Lemaire, Robinson, Savard, AND Lapointe?

Those Habs were such idiots.

The NHL invented an award to recognize how great a player Bob Gainey was.

Sam Gagner isn't in the same universe.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
The captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team but he has to be a high end player that is part of the core.

Dustin Brown is one of the best two-way players in the NHL, has played in an all-star game, and is a fixture on the US Olympic team.

Sam Gagner is the sixth best offensive forward on his team. He is one of the worst defensive forwards on his team. He has never been invited to an all-star game. He hasn't been invited to represent Canada at the World Championships since 2008 (where he was a healthy scratch). He isn't part of the Oilers' core.

Comparing the US and Canada olympic teams is nonsensical. There are going to be a ton of great players and leaders left off both teams. This has nothing to do with their suitability to captain an NHL team.

Sam has finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd in scoring over the last 4 years. Dont think that makes him the 6th best offensive forward.

When an organization signs a player for 3 years @ 4.8, strong indication they perceive the player as a core piece.

I'm not saying Sam should or shouldn't be the next captain of the Oilers. He does deserve a fair shake for the player he is and his past performance.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
I hope he doesn't become captain. Not because I don't think he's a good choice, but because I don't think I could stand to listen to this kind of complaining that will inevitably occur in every thread.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I shudder to think what will happen to Western civilization and our way of life if Sam Gagner actually IS named captain, as this thread nears post #500.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I hope he doesn't become captain. Not because I don't think he's a good choice, but because I don't think I could stand to listen to this kind of complaining that will inevitably occur in every thread.

I've come to realize it doesn't matter what would happend at some point there will be complaints. Hall could take a stupid retaliation penalty and people will be calling for the head of the guy that named an immature kid the captain.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I've come to realize it doesn't matter what would happend at some point there will be complaints. Hall could take a stupid retaliation penalty and people will be calling for the head of the guy that named an immature kid the captain.

Imagine naming Hall Captain, then him having a slow start. You could cue the meltdown. :laugh:

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Comparing the US and Canada olympic teams is nonsensical. There are going to be a ton of great players and leaders left off both teams. This has nothing to do with their suitability to captain an NHL team.

Sam has finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 2nd in scoring over the last 4 years. Dont think that makes him the 6th best offensive forward.

When an organization signs a player for 3 years @ 4.8, strong indication they perceive the player as a core piece.

I'm not saying Sam should or shouldn't be the next captain of the Oilers. He does deserve a fair shake for the player he is and his past performance.

Sam has finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2nd in scoring over the last 4 years.

That past performance was relative to one of the worst groups of forwards assembled in NHL history (2009-10); one of the worst groups of forwards assembled in NHL history plus two rookies who both outscored him (2010-11); one rookie and two sophomore players who all outscored him (2011-12); an injured Jordan Eberle, an injured RNH, a rookie, and Taylor Hall (2012).

Do you honestly think that, going forward, Sam Gagner is going to outscore one of: Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, or Nail Yakupov?

He has a chance of outscoring Perron, but I doubt that happens.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Just my personal opinion, not that it matters but if I was Eakins I'd have; Captain: Andrew Ference, Assistant: Taylor Hall, Assistant: Ryan Smyth

I don't understand why anyone would pick a player as captain that hasn't even been on the ice or in the dressing room with the players. not even for one minute.
how can he be qualified to be the captain of the team? because he was a winner somewhere else?
please explain.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I haven't read much, if any, of this. I have read alot of over the top stupid rage related to the speculation though.

And right at the end you submarine anything you accomplished with the rest of the post.

As others have pointed out you only read what you wanted to hear and argue about Mr. over the top Gagner lover :-P. I am Joking btw.

The reason it is Ludicrous to have Gagner as captain is because Hall is very very very obviously the best leader/producer on the ice. This is painfully obvious to everyone I talk to about the Oilers, even those who are fans of other teams. We can only guess and speculate at the rest of the intangibles.

I think the best example of a team captain selection currently going on is the Islanders, with all their young talent and greater success only Tavares is truly even being considered by their fan base.

Oct 30, 2011
If Hall isn't the captain, I would prefer to have Smid as the captain, with the A's going to Hall and Gagner.

Then both top lines have an assistant captain.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
As others have pointed out you only read what you wanted to hear and argue about Mr. over the top Gagner lover :-P. I am Joking btw.
I'm not though. To equate the Gagner detractors to the people who are supporting him by suggesting the arguments they're crafting are on them same level is frankly just an out and out lie. It's a lie on it's face. The people who are supporting him are suggesting reasonable things, maybe of the post of detraction aren't of the same realm, it's Not close.

The reason it is Ludicrous to have Gagner as captain is because Hall is very very very obviously the best leader/producer on the ice. This is painfully obvious to everyone I talk to about the Oilers, even those who are fans of other teams. We can only guess and speculate at the rest of the intangibles.
Yes Hall is a better player on the ice, but you Assume alot of the rest. So your own preconceived notions create this narrative, which may or may not actually exist. It's a flaw in your personal bias.

I think the best example of a team captain selection currently going on is the Islanders, with all their young talent and greater success only Tavares is truly even being considered by their fan base.
Yes, because the Islanders had other options. If they give to Hammonic(who's really the only other option) does that make it terrible? Good for the Isles, has no baring on the Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad