GDT: G9: Senators @ Avalanche - 10/27/24 @ 7:00 PM MST

Toothless Legend

Oct 15, 2021
Wheat Ridge, CO
Yeah, but I didn't expect him to score with a goalie in the net. I had no hope when I saw who had the breakaway.
Didn't matter since he fired it wide anyways lol.
More like Jeff Shantz flashbacks. Now THERE was a guy who exceeded at missing wide-open nets.
Yeah, he's the spiritual predecessor for this archetype for sure, although with Comeau (and Wagner last night), the puck always seemed to find him in these soft areas or on an "unearned" breakaway a few times a game.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I can’t get over Wagner missing by 3 feet on an empty net in the slot.

What a f***ing idiot.
When he's fully healthy, I can't imagine that Foudy isn't a better choice than Wagner. Wagner provides nothing but a few hits out there. When you are just hitting 4th liners what is that worth?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What I hate most about Wagner, is that he proves how terrible a judge of player talent I am.

When he got that handful of games immediately after signing with us (before they had to sit his ass for the playoffs) I thought he looked rather good. Like, I was hopeful he would be challenging for at least a 4th line if not 3rd line role the following camp.

Woof. Boy, was I wrong on that one.

Part of me feels obliged to also add, he's a hell of a lot better than I ever will be whenever I dog a dude who's actually played an NHL game.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
When he's fully healthy, I can't imagine that Foudy isn't a better choice than Wagner. Wagner provides nothing but a few hits out there. When you are just hitting 4th liners what is that worth?
Foudy had a wide open doorway to walk through and refused to do it. I actually DON'T think he's a better choice at this point. He's playing like he wants out.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Foudy had a wide open doorway to walk through and refused to do it. I actually DON'T think he's a better choice at this point. He's playing like he wants out.

Yeah, Foudy plays with the intensity of a teddy bear and does his best to avoid the play at all times.

He kind of just skates... nowhere. Doesn't engage.

In a pure bottom 6 role, Stienberg is better than Foudy. He actually hustles, throws the body, and tries to get into the dirty areas.

Foudy is far too much of a perimeter player for me.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

Yeah, Foudy plays with the intensity of a teddy bear and does his best to avoid the play at all times.

He kind of just skates... nowhere. Doesn't engage.

In a pure bottom 6 role, Stienberg is better than Foudy. He actually hustles, throws the body, and tries to get into the dirty areas.

Foudy is far too much of a perimeter player for me.
I really soured on Foudy.

His first callup, well the team was in a bad way. I think the majority of the bottom nine were callups. Of course he was playing with other Eagle players but he was actually driving the play for his line. He was skating not coasting, and he was actually darting in and out of dangerous areas...making plays to people who couldn't do anything with them. I thought he was looking like an AHL playmaking genius who could play in the bottom six at the NHL level. Then with each subsequent return to the NHL he looked worse.

I mentioned this with Wagner in another thread, I'm beggining to think I'm just a completely terrible judge of player talent. (but in my defense, it's always based on such a small sample size...2 games, 3 games, etc)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I really soured on Foudy.

His first callup, well the team was in a bad way. I think the majority of the bottom nine were callups. Of course he was playing with other Eagle players but he was actually driving the play for his line. He was skating not coasting, and he was actually darting in and out of dangerous areas...making plays to people who couldn't do anything with them. I thought he was looking like an AHL playmaking genius who could play in the bottom six at the NHL level. Then with each subsequent return to the NHL he looked worse.

I mentioned this with Wagner in another thread, I'm beggining to think I'm just a completely terrible judge of player talent. (but in my defense, it's always based on such a small sample size...2 games, 3 games, etc)
I do agree with this but I also wonder if some of this is lingering injury. If he's not 100% healthy and proves it with the Eagles then he won't be up anyways. I just don't see Wagner as doing anything of value out there. He has no upside, he just understands how to think as a responsible player that Bednar likes for his 4th line. You'd think a lot of players could master that pretty quickly. Bednar probably expects no points from his 4th line so missing easy shots probably doesn't bother him too much.

I think this ties into the drafting issue for the Avs as well. They are more likely to get what Bednar really wants in his bottom six from undrafted free agents. In Bednar's world, you just need a motor and the mindset of keeping the score the same while giving the lineup a rest. That's a lot easier seen in 21-23 year olds playing against other older kids than 18 year olds who are probably on top lines of juniors.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I do agree with this but I also wonder if some of this is lingering injury. If he's not 100% healthy and proves it with the Eagles then he won't be up anyways. I just don't see Wagner as doing anything of value out there. He has no upside, he just understands how to think as a responsible player that Bednar likes for his 4th line. You'd think a lot of players could master that pretty quickly. Bednar probably expects no points from his 4th line so missing easy shots probably doesn't bother him too much.

I think this ties into the drafting issue for the Avs as well. They are more likely to get what Bednar really wants in his bottom six from undrafted free agents. In Bednar's world, you just need a motor and the mindset of keeping the score the same while giving the lineup a rest. That's a lot easier seen in 21-23 year olds playing against other older kids than 18 year olds who are probably on top lines of juniors.
Man...I was thinking about that comment I made about being a terrible judge of player talent, and then the first thing you said was "I do agree with this" and I was like...god damn, I like honesty but do you have to be so willing? :laugh:

Our drafting just seems so...I have no idea what they are trying to get from some of these folks. I get that you need players for your farm clubs as well, but it really appears that if you are not a top 10 pick by the Avs, you are just not destined for an NHL team.

• Haha
Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Man...I was thinking about that comment I made about being a terrible judge of player talent, and then the first thing you said was "I do agree with this" and I was like...god damn, I like honesty but do you have to be so willing? :laugh:

Our drafting just seems so...I have no idea what they are trying to get from some of these folks. I get that you need players for your farm clubs as well, but it really appears that if you are not a top 10 pick by the Avs, you are just not destined for an NHL team.

I think Henchy is right, I think they see one thing they like about a given player and they just ignore everything else.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Henchy is right, I think they see one thing they like about a given player and they just ignore everything else.
They also do not invest much in amateur scouting and other scouting staff compared to other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad