Prospect Info: G Topias Leinonen -- Selected 41st overall in 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
It's easy to nitpick over a year later but looking at the entire 2022 draft it's really hard to come down on the decisions the Sabres made. Leinonen was their fourth draft pick of the entire draft and he fell about where he was projected. I'm not really interested in second guessing that pick an entire year later, especially in what looks to be a stellar draft in its entirety.

1 9 Matthew Savoie
1 16 Noah Ostlund
1 28 Jiri Kulich
2 41 Topias Leinonen
3 74 Viktor Neuchev
4 106 Mats Lindgren
5 134 Vsevolod Komarov
6 170 Jake Richard
6 187 Gustav Karlsson
7 202 Joel Ratkovic Berndtsson
7 211 Linus Sjodin
As I have already said several goalies chosen later, I simply like more than Leinonen. Adams talked about it this way, as if they chose not BPA, but simply because he is a goalie, and someone whispered to Adams to choose Leinonen.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
As I have already said several goalies chosen later, I simply like more than Leinonen. Adams talked about it this way, as if they chose not BPA, but simply because he is a goalie, and someone whispered to Adams to choose Leinonen.
I too agree he was a reach and would've rather drafted Warren, Luneau and other RHD that were available @ 41 but we must remember, Portillo and Levi were not signed yet.. I am assuming Adams wasn't 100% sold that either of them were going to sign so he drafted the "best goalie" available.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
It's possible to think two things concurrently. He has absolutely had a disappointing, if not fully lost, year-plus since being drafted and it's easy to hindsight cherry pick better 2nd rounders. But also goalies take forever to develop and it's usually not a linear path (many want to write off a still uncured UPL).

It feels fair to say that his conditioning and physical makeup are concerns and may be contributing to his slow development. His weight is a major outlier for a goalie his age, he looks sluggish in net, and now he's dealing with a LBI.

Obviously none of us can "write him off" meaningfully as we don't have any power in his development. We have three seasons to decide whether to sign him, hopefully he has a breakthrough in that time.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I too agree he was a reach and would've rather drafted Warren, Luneau and other RHD that were available @ 41 but we must remember, Portillo and Levi were not signed yet.. I am assuming Adams wasn't 100% sold that either of them were going to sign so he drafted the "best goalie" available.
So what is the problem with choosing goalie in third or fourth round, for example, you could have taken another goalie in the 6-7th round. I'm not against the choice goalies, on the contrary, but I'm just not sure that Leinonen is a good choice at the beginning of the second round, especially what players were still on the table.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's possible to think two things concurrently. He has absolutely had a disappointing, if not fully lost, year-plus since being drafted and it's easy to hindsight cherry pick better 2nd rounders. But also goalies take forever to develop and it's usually not a linear path (many want to write off a still uncured UPL).

It feels fair to say that his conditioning and physical makeup are concerns and may be contributing to his slow development. His weight is a major outlier for a goalie his age, he looks sluggish in net, and now he's dealing with a LBI.

Obviously none of us can "write him off" meaningfully as we don't have any power in his development. We have three seasons to decide whether to sign him, hopefully he has a breakthrough in that time.
With the Sabres saying that they were contemplating taking Leinonen in the 1st round if Kulich hadn't fallen to them, it really had me wondering what they saw in him, because I never saw it.

Leinonen seems to be built for the NHL of 10 years ago or so. I have way more confidence in the Ratzlaff pick than the Leinonen one right now. And I second guessed the Leinonen pick as soon as it was made given all the high quality D still on the board at that spot.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
With the Sabres saying that they were contemplating taking Leinonen in the 1st round if Kulich hadn't fallen to them, it really had me wondering what they saw in him, because I never saw it.

Leinonen seems to be built for the NHL of 10 years ago or so. I have way more confidence in the Ratzlaff pick than the Leinonen one right now. And I second guessed the Leinonen pick as soon as it was made given all the high quality D still on the board at that spot.
I thought the pick was a headscratcher too with the D remaining, but I also felt like the FO was justified using a luxury pick on a goalie early due to our general depth.

The 2023 draft appears to have been the better draft to jump a goalie early.

I agree that Leinonen feels a bit like a 2000s model. I agree with the poster who said our front office may like smaller goalies, with Levi, Comrie, and Ratzlaff. Leinonen is an outlier and I'm also curious how the pick came to be.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
So what is the problem with choosing goalie in third or fourth round, for example, you could have taken another goalie in the 6-7th round. I'm not against the choice goalies, on the contrary, but I'm just not sure that Leinonen is a good choice at the beginning of the second round, especially what players were still on the table.
Hey man I agree with ya. I'd much rather they took Warren and take a goalie in the later rounds. Just pointing out what Adams mind set might have been is all.

I don't agree with it but I understand why they drafted him @ 41

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I thought the pick was a headscratcher too with the D remaining, but I also felt like the FO was justified using a luxury pick on a goalie early due to our general depth.

The 2023 draft appears to have been the better draft to jump a goalie early.

I agree that Leinonen feels a bit like a 2000s model. I agree with the poster who said our front office may like smaller goalies, with Levi, Comrie, and Ratzlaff. Leinonen is an outlier and I'm also curious how the pick came to be.
Leinonen feels like the Sabres version of EJ Manuel where they felt that they HAD to take a position early in a year that was bad for that position.

Wasn't he the best Goalie in last year's draft?
According to what the Sabres said after the draft, they believed that was the case.

But, like most players that go in the second round, I am certain that other teams felt strongly about other goalies.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
It's easy to nitpick over a year later but looking at the entire 2022 draft it's really hard to come down on the decisions the Sabres made. Leinonen was their fourth draft pick of the entire draft and he fell about where he was projected. I'm not really interested in second guessing that pick an entire year later, especially in what looks to be a stellar draft in its entirety.

1 9 Matthew Savoie
1 16 Noah Ostlund
1 28 Jiri Kulich
2 41 Topias Leinonen
3 74 Viktor Neuchev
4 106 Mats Lindgren
5 134 Vsevolod Komarov
6 170 Jake Richard
6 187 Gustav Karlsson
7 202 Joel Ratkovic Berndtsson
7 211 Linus Sjodin
We can miss on Leinonen and still get 6!!!! NHLers. All a guessing game still.

They've said a few times that they draft on projection more than anything else. It's way too early for definitives but a huge goalie with some athleticism and a Finnish darling. He's never put up staggering numbers but he should get good coaching overseas.

Reactions: Dingo44

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I don't really understand why. For example, why is he better than Murashov, who was taken in the fourth round? Or the same Kokko. I hope the scouts really saw something in him, and not just the size.
I think this is a product of mock drafts and pundit articles. As a fan, I watch the pre draft shows, read the articles, lurk the message boards and also watch prospects. That said, the front offices job is to use any means necessary to find guys who are talented, fit a scheme and to try and rank where these guys may be. I believe they even said they had a first round grade on him, so if that's how they view him, I'm on board.

Side note, I do wonder how much smoke blowing occurs. Like the late risers, are teams like Buffalo who maybe want a Benson but have a defensive gap on their team pumping up the value of other dman in hopes they get taken and push a guy down to them.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Obviously it's too early to write him off completely, but if we're going to celebrate prospects' achievements it makes sense that the lack thereof also gets attention.

It's not like in the benson thread anyone's going, "well he might not be good in 5 years".

Just have to judge guys on their body of work, with the nuance that nothings set in stone

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I don't really understand why. For example, why is he better than Murashov, who was taken in the fourth round? Or the same Kokko. I hope the scouts really saw something in him, and not just the size.

Why is Bedard better than Benson?

In this case it was because they liked Leinonen better and had a first grade rating on him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think this is a product of mock drafts and pundit articles. As a fan, I watch the pre draft shows, read the articles, lurk the message boards and also watch prospects. That said, the front offices job is to use any means necessary to find guys who are talented, fit a scheme and to try and rank where these guys may be. I believe they even said they had a first round grade on him, so if that's how they view him, I'm on board.

Side note, I do wonder how much smoke blowing occurs. Like the late risers, are teams like Buffalo who maybe want a Benson but have a defensive gap on their team pumping up the value of other dman in hopes they get taken and push a guy down to them.

In this case it was because they liked Leinonen better and had a first grade rating on him.
I would agree if it was a forward or a defender, but goalie is a different position. I don't know how they looked at him and followed him, or just some scout told Adams that Leinonen is big Finnish goalie, that's all. Of course, they can say that they considered him in the first round, but I wonder why, what arguments, what strengths Leinonen has, how he differs from other goalies in this draft, that he was taken so highly.

Benson was an obvious BPA, I would take him even if Simashev and Willander were still on the board, and you know how much I like Simashev. But I'm not sure Leinonen was that good and was BPA.

AaronPines

Jun 19, 2007
Denver
Obviously it's too early to write him off completely, but if we're going to celebrate prospects' achievements it makes sense that the lack thereof also gets attention.

It's not like in the benson thread anyone's going, "well he might not be good in 5 years".

Just have to judge guys on their body of work, with the nuance that nothings set in stone
If we're going to off celebrating achievements and guys who had stellar draft +1 years, maybe you have 7th rounder Dom DiVincentis as the only one who I think really went off. Other than that? Goalies at this age tend not to have a lot of achievements to speak of other than hockey IQ, some physical acumen and a promising skillset to work from.

I liked the Leinonen pick at the time, and I still think he's got a chance— his resume doesn't feel far off UPL's at the same age (take that for what you will, I know that's not exactly high praise). Maybe they find a way to get him over here and into the system in Jacksonville to start developing what they saw in him when they picked him so high.

I suppose I'm sort of saying that there's such an opportunity bias. Dom DiV was the eldest goalie on a team of teenagers. Leinonen struggled through injuries behind two established starters in their late 20s. He still got games as a 19 year old in a men's pro league.

If he's still playing 3rd string minutes in Finland in 6 years and all of those 2nd round d-men are playing top 4 minutes in the NHL.... then yeah this pick will sting. Until then...

Reactions: The Blunder Years

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

sure teams do many mock drafts and who might be interested in certain positions snd they have their own grade sort but they look st what others have to get posdible perceived values on players.

I don’t recall his drsft grade/ drsft projection average like mid 2nd.

yes. Teams talk crap to pump up interest in a player and see if trade offers come.

it was clear with buffalo their top need was RD but they were not going to reach.

another factor…in the 2nd round buffalo had 2 picks..thry coukd go D, F or F then D. It can be who will be available when and position depth

They likely had a low 1st grade n him and picked him there because of rank and what other goalies they liked in the draft Vs other positions And what’s available later.
There's a few scouting reports in the first couple pages of this thread if you're interested.
what was the prosoect ranks in terms of order and where did he fall?

if they had him outside top 100 and buffalo drsfted him thrn complain. If he was in top 60 and they (1) had him clearly the top G and felt he wasn’t there at 3rd round thrn I have no isdue drafting him then.

goalies sre difgicult to project and usually take longer to make the nhl.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
what was the prosoect ranks in terms of order and where did he fall?

if they had him outside top 100 and buffalo drsfted him thrn complain. If he was in top 60 and they (1) had him clearly the top G and felt he wasn’t there at 3rd round thrn I have no isdue drafting him then.

Leinonen and Brennan were widely considered the top 2 goalies in the 2022 draft in some order. Both were widely considered 2nd round selections, though Brennan sunk to the 4th ultimately.

It wasn't considered a good draft for goalies, and Buffalo brass has come out and said that Leinonen was by far and away their #1 goalie prospect in 2022. There was an implication that they had a low 1st/high 2nd round grade on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad