Prospect Info: G Topias Leinonen -- Selected 41st overall in 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I enjoy that he is on the cautiously optimistic podcast, yet roasts a 18 year old prospect doing drills against people he has never seen in a country he has probably never visited.

Reactions: joshjull

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
judging guys based on d-camp is a waste of time, but judging goalies based on making saves, or not, in drills in July is like...idk, bonkers. Watch a goalie to see how they play (i.e., style, tendencies, movement, mannerisms, etc.). But counting saves is dumb. it's dumb during practice in the regular season, too.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
His take is made even worse after I listened to Apperts interview. Appert said he had to apologize to the goalies throughout the day because the day 1 drills were so skill and offense focused.
That doesn't really make a difference.

Just means they weren't getting as much attention, or drills that catered to them.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
The worst thing about living in this time is that people think their opinions somehow matter.
People "telling it like it is" are usually full of shit and get by in life by negging everyone else.
Absolutely it was just one drill take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunately, Leinonen is gonna be under a bigger microscope due to his draft status.

Reactions: Zman5778

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, I scoffed at the hot take too. It ignored any number of factors that could be at play here: travel, time zones, language barriers, possibly first practice of season, possibly trying to play through something, and so on. I mean, Levi himself said he prepped a week ahead of time for this camp in his presser yesterday.

Reactions: Chainshot

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He is so far away that the injury doesnt mean much in the immediate, but I do find it kind of concerning that pre-draft there were reports about his injury concerns and he is on the ice one day, and gets injured. Guys that big sometimes struggle to stay healthy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He is so far away that the injury doesnt mean much in the immediate, but I do find it kind of concerning that pre-draft there were reports about his injury concerns and he is on the ice one day, and gets injured. Guys that big sometimes struggle to stay healthy.
Big Robin Lehner injury vibes.

:sarcasm:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, I scoffed at the hot take too. It ignored any number of factors that could be at play here: travel, time zones, language barriers, possibly first practice of season, possibly trying to play through something, and so on. I mean, Levi himself said he prepped a week ahead of time for this camp in his presser yesterday.

Which is why the hot take from someone with any sort of following is just shoddy commentary. That kid is now going to be dogged by that one tweet, regardless of the circumstances, including the tweeter (or is that twit? twat?) who sent it out walking it back hard one drill later.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Which is why the hot take from someone with any sort of following is just shoddy commentary. That kid is now going to be dogged by that one tweet, regardless of the circumstances, including the tweeter (or is that twit? twat?) who sent it out walking it back hard one drill later.

What makes it even worse is that the fanbase generally dislikes him through no fault of his own.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
“Twat” is what I’d go with.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Injured in his first practice as a Sabre. He's the perfect fit!

Not for nothing, but there are almost always guys who get dinged at these. It's usually groin stuff and has kept some people off the ice who we were eager to see on some occasions. Right now, the important thing is to get him healthy again.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

18. Topias Leinonen, G

18 years old | 6-foot-5 | 233 pounds | Catches left

Drafted: No. 41 in 2022
Tier: Projected to play NHL games

Skating: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average

Analysis: Leinonen has a clear NHL toolkit. He measures in at 6-foot-5, and he’s an athletic goalie who can move well in the crease. Leinonen has the ability to make very tough saves and ones that will translate to the NHL. I think he sees the game well and makes good reads, but his consistency is an issue. He lets in too many soft goals and has occasional stretches of bad decision making. He looks like a starter but projects more as a backup for those reasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad