Value of: G Juuse Saros from Preds

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
This is pretty much the thread in a nutshell. Non nashville will say goalies dont hold value. Nashville will say then why trade him and happily sit with him until askarov is ready.

As for nashville maybe packing it in and selling off.... i could see that argument when we traded off nino, granlund (not really), ekholm, joey, and bought out duchene. Then we got RoR, Nyquist, and Schenn and pretty much went right back to where we were pre trade deadline with tbe addition of Tomasino and Evangelista from MIL. So we seem very much status quo but with a new core attitude.
Saris is basically the linchpin’s holding the entire fort together. Remove him and the team folds.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
The issue, of course, with sitting with Saros until Askarov is ready is that Saros is going to require a really big raise to keep around after his contract is up (not to mention possible trade protection), and then you have an asset that's hard to move and a bunch of cap tied up at the goalie position, which is less than ideal. It's not a death sentence, of course- Florida just made the finals with (until the playoffs) an underperforming Bob on a massive contract, after all.

My point is that while those who want to keep Saros above all will point out the huge risk in trading him, there's also plenty of risk in signing him to a huge contract. If Askarov does pan out and you want to free up cap at G, now you're possibly having to dump him for pennies.

It's a difficult decision and I don't think it's quite as simple as saying "keeping him is the safe choice".

Having said all that, I don't think there's a "wrong choice" here. I just think Trotz would be smart to keep his ears open, which I think he will.
Which is to say, let's revisit in a year / year and a half. Nashville has that long to see what they have in Askarov / decide how to proceed with Saros.

Reactions: Armourboy

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The issue, of course, with sitting with Saros until Askarov is ready is that Saros is going to require a really big raise to keep around after his contract is up (not to mention possible trade protection), and then you have an asset that's hard to move and a bunch of cap tied up at the goalie position, which is less than ideal. It's not a death sentence, of course- Florida just made the finals with (until the playoffs) an underperforming Bob on a massive contract, after all.

My point is that while those who want to keep Saros above all will point out the huge risk in trading him, there's also plenty of risk in signing him to a huge contract. If Askarov does pan out and you want to free up cap at G, now you're possibly having to dump him for pennies.

It's a difficult decision and I don't think it's quite as simple as saying "keeping him is the safe choice".

Having said all that, I don't think there's a "wrong choice" here. I just think Trotz would be smart to keep his ears open, which I think he will.
If the right trade value is presented, trotz should by all means consider trading Saros. But if GMs are anything like around here (they arent) the right trade value will not be offered.

Saros is
A top 5 goalie
2 years left on a very good AAV
Can play well infront of a sh**show of a team (just look at the team nashville iced in his last 10 games when he still manage a .926 sv% and 2.42 GAA over his last 10 starts)
Capable of 60+ starts in a single season
Only 28 years old
Short injury history

It will be hard to get the proper value that he supplies to the team. If Askarov makes big strides this season and next, i think we could seriously see saros traded at the trade deadline of his last season. Before then only if a team ponies up what he is actually worth. I dont thinj trotz went out and got cultural leaders just to have the team tank

Reactions: Armourboy and Stubu

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
The goalie market is a bit packed right now Gibson. Hellybuck and Lehner.

If you guys trade him, do it at TDL.... to a desperate team who will give you the soul of their 1st born child and more in return.
2 of the 3 are not like then other.

Gibson has been bear shit bad for years now.

Lehner is the most reliable goalie in the NHl. Didn’t play at all in 2022-2023 and had a combined 66 games 3 previous seasons.

Lehner admitted to Drug and Alcohol addiction and while I sympathize with anyone inflicted with this disease there is a reason he was paying approx 3-4% of his salary per year to insurance companies that pay him when he’s unable to play for medical reasons such as what he’s going through.

Available goalies Helleybuck is definitely #1. After that it’s re-treads they teams may be willing to move on from like Markstrom Demko Murray Vladar Bobrovsky etc.

Almost all have complex NMC or NTC.

Reactions: herzausstein

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
The goalie market is a bit packed right now Gibson. Hellybuck and Lehner.

If you guys trade him, do it at TDL.... to a desperate team who will give you the soul of their 1st born child and more in return.
Two of those goalies are not like the other

Gibson 4 years at 6.4 million, hasnt had a good sv% in 4 years, but has been backstopping a bad team.

Lehner 2 years at 5 million, missed entire last season after hip surgery, year prior was meh. Maybe he comes back beter post surgery but thats a gamble.

Only knock on Hellebucyk is that he is a UFA to be so thats just one less season of cost certainty. His "down" seasons are still pretty good.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
There have been prior threads on him……
I don't get this. It's a community message board , even if there was three separate threads on it, it shouldn't matter. You were so annoyed that there was another Saros thread, that you purposely clicked on this thread and posted that there are other threads like this one. Simply don't click on the thread

Reactions: Dr Quincy and Stubu

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Which is to say, let's revisit in a year / year and a half. Nashville has that long to see what they have in Askarov / decide how to proceed with Saros.
Yep that is pretty much the plan I think. The only way that changes is if someone comes up with an offer Trotz just can't refuse.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Yep that is pretty much the plan I think. The only way that changes is if someone comes up with an offer Trotz just can't refuse.
I think we just give Saros an 8-year extension on July 1st, 2024 that will carry him to retirement. Then we don't have to worry either way. If Askarov pans out, great, if he doesn't, we're still covered.

The NHL will expand again before 2032. If we get lucky and both goalies are good by then, we will have to expose one of them in the Expansion draft. If Saros at 33 with 5 years left on a $7-8M deal is the way the Expansion team wants to go, maybe that's fine at that time. But anyway, the point being we don't even have just a year/year-and-a-half we need to wait. We can wait like the whole 5 years of Askarov's remaining development curve, and never have to worry about goaltending meanwhile. And that's a valuable situation to be in.

Reactions: PredsV82

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I think we just give Saros an 8-year extension on July 1st, 2024 that will carry him to retirement. Then we don't have to worry either way. If Askarov pans out, great, if he doesn't, we're still covered.

The NHL will expand again before 2032. If we get lucky and both goalies are good by then, we will have to expose one of them in the Expansion draft. If Saros at 33 with 5 years left on a $7-8M deal is the way the Expansion team wants to go, maybe that's fine at that time. But anyway, the point being we don't even have just a year/year-and-a-half we need to wait. We can wait like the whole 5 years of Askarov's remaining development curve, and never have to worry about goaltending meanwhile. And that's a valuable situation to be in.
That's fine, I guess. But you're probably not getting him at 7-8M especially after he just spent the last 5 years on a sweetheart deal. And if Askarov does pan out then you've just essentially spent (I'm guessing) closer to the 9-10M range that you didn't need to spend, after using a 1st round pick on a goalie, not to mention losing a bunch of his trade value in all likelihood.

That's what I'm talking about with the risk of signing Saros to the long term deal.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
That's fine, I guess. But you're probably not getting him at 7-8M especially after he just spent the last 5 years on a sweetheart deal. And if Askarov does pan out then you've just essentially spent (I'm guessing) closer to the 9-10M range that you didn't need to spend, after using a 1st round pick on a goalie, not to mention losing a bunch of his trade value in all likelihood.

That's what I'm talking about with the risk of signing Saros to the long term deal.
If you are buying years when he's 36,37,38, you should be able to get him at $7-8M, but that's no biggie to me, I'd also sign him for $10M if that's what it took... the money is definitely no driver in this scenario. The Cap will be well over $100M by then.

The timing is simply such that we won't know any answers on Askarov until after we have to extend Saros, so it really doesn't matter what we have invested in the "unknown". We have to take care of the "known" first.

There's risk in signing any player, that goes without saying.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't get this. It's a community message board , even if there was three separate threads on it, it shouldn't matter. You were so annoyed that there was another Saros thread, that you purposely clicked on this thread and posted that there are other threads like this one. Simply don't click on the thread
Agreed. We should close the boards because just about every player worth talking about has a thread asking about his value.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
To be honest I don’t think Askarov is a sure bet to even be a #1 or possibly even a #1b in a tandem.

His AHL results aren’t exactly earth shattering.

KHL were good but shit Lars Johanson who’s a 36 year old Swedish KHL journeyman out plays him as did another young kid Dimitry Nikolaev who by all accounts res deserves a shot in the AHL as well.

I certainly wouldn’t rely on Askarov for future needs when Saros could be solid for 10+ years. His results are as steady as they get in the NHL.

If you are buying years when he's 36,37,38, you should be able to get him at $7-8M, but that's no biggie to me, I'd also sign him for $10M if that's what it took... the money is definitely no driver in this scenario. The Cap will be well over $100M by then.

The timing is simply such that we won't know any answers on Askarov until after we have to extend Saros, so it really doesn't matter what we have invested in the "unknown". We have to take care of the "known" first.

It will be $92.05m and that’s only happening if the NHLPA uses the escalator in both seasons.

Reactions: Gnashville

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023

I also personally believe some planters wa t a legacy. You don’t become a legacy by moving around every 2-4 years.

Like worst part of Iginla career going to PIT BOS and COL for no reason.

Preds Fan

Jul 20, 2023
If the right trade value is presented, trotz should by all means consider trading Saros. But if GMs are anything like around here (they arent) the right trade value will not be offered.

Saros is
A top 5 goalie
2 years left on a very good AAV
Can play well infront of a sh**show of a team (just look at the team nashville iced in his last 10 games when he still manage a .926 sv% and 2.42 GAA over his last 10 starts)
Capable of 60+ starts in a single season
Only 28 years old
Short injury history

It will be hard to get the proper value that he supplies to the team. If Askarov makes big strides this season and next, i think we could seriously see saros traded at the trade deadline of his last season. Before then only if a team ponies up what he is actually worth. I dont thinj trotz went out and got cultural leaders just to have the team tank
Agree, but in a few years they are going to have to decide if they are moving on with Askarov or paying Saros a boatload of cash. I see a trade like you do at the deadline.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN

He won't get 10 million in Nashville, he won't even get 9 million, but I don't think he will be looking for that kind of deal to start with.

We have two years to figure out what to do with that situation and we should have a pretty solid idea by then if we think Askarov is even on that kind of trajectory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad