Value of: G Juuse Saros from Preds

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Agree, but in a few years they are going to have to decide if they are moving on with Askarov or paying Saros a boatload of cash.
There is no "OR" in that. Preds will do both. Up until Expansion occurs.

Askarov is just too far away to tell, and he won't be ready before we extend Saros. He has obvious top-notch goaltending attributes with his legs and his confidence. He has incredible weaknesses in other areas. But at the end of the day, in his first full season in North America, he was an AHL All-Star and was able to stand in adequately in an NHL game at 20 years old. He is certainly in the top-10 goaltending prospects in the world, anyway. But he's also probably 2-3 years away from even backing up Saros, probably. Let alone pushing him as starter. So who knows what will happen in those years. He'll have to do some kind of stunt like a Galchenyuk or something before we'd be "moving on" from him any time in those years. We'll be extending Saros before we know what Askarov is going to be. So there really isn't any choice. We pay Saros, and we keep on developing Askarov. Both.

Reactions: hn777

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There is no "OR" in that. Preds will do both. Up until Expansion occurs.

Askarov is just too far away to tell, and he won't be ready before we extend Saros. He has obvious top-notch goaltending attributes with his legs and his confidence. He has incredible weaknesses in other areas. But at the end of the day, in his first full season in North America, he was an AHL All-Star and was able to stand in adequately in an NHL game at 20 years old. He is certainly in the top-10 goaltending prospects in the world, anyway. But he's also probably 2-3 years away from even backing up Saros, probably. Let alone pushing him as starter. So who knows what will happen in those years. He'll have to do some kind of stunt like a Galchenyuk or something before we'd be "moving on" from him any time in those years. We'll be extending Saros before we know what Askarov is going to be. So there really isn't any choice. We pay Saros, and we keep on developing Askarov. Both.
I think that will be decided on what they see out of Askarov this season. If he slips back I think they absolutely go ahead and extend Saros. However, if he has an even better season than last I could see them dragging their feet and seeing what they think as that season gets going.

I don't think in any way form or fashion that Saros getting extended is a done deal. Not yet anyways.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
He won't get 10 million in Nashville, he won't even get 9 million, but I don't think he will be looking for that kind of deal to start with.
I didn't think he'd need that either, hence why I wrote $7-8M. But at the same time, my point is that I don't care about the number... whether it's what I believe he'll accept (something like a Rinne deal, taking a little less than market value traded for term and NTC/NMC clauses, and staying under the Josi-line as a humble "team guy"), or whether he commands the biggest full market deal out there like a Price or Bobrovsky... either way, it wouldn't affect my decision to extend him. He's our best player, and in his prime. You extend that player, regardless. You don't lose your best player over $2M.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I think that will be decided on what they see out of Askarov this season. If he slips back I think they absolutely go ahead and extend Saros. However, if he has an even better season than last I could see them dragging their feet and seeing what they think as that season gets going.

I don't think in any way form or fashion that Saros getting extended is a done deal. Not yet anyways.
I'm just saying what I would do. This year is too soon for anything Askarov does to affect the decision. He's just not that close to being ready. He can't properly catch a puck in the AHL yet.

There's just no sense in basing a Saros decision on Askarov. If it's not a "done deal" in Trotz's mind to extend Saros, then it's a mistake by Trotz, that's all.

Reactions: hn777

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm just saying what I would do. This year is too soon for anything Askarov does to affect the decision. He's just not that close to being ready. He can't properly catch a puck in the AHL yet.

There's just no sense in basing a Saros decision on Askarov. If it's not a "done deal" in Trotz's mind to extend Saros, then it's a mistake by Trotz, that's all.
2 years is a long way off, any GM that has any decision done that early is going to make some pretty large errors, especially when he doesn't need too.

I didn't think he'd need that either, hence why I wrote $7-8M. But at the same time, my point is that I don't care about the number... whether it's what I believe he'll accept (something like a Rinne deal, taking a little less than market value traded for term and NTC/NMC clauses, and staying under the Josi-line as a humble "team guy"), or whether he commands the biggest full market deal out there like a Price or Bobrovsky... either way, it wouldn't affect my decision to extend him. He's our best player, and in his prime. You extend that player, regardless. You don't lose your best player over $2M.
I don't see Barry Trotz paying any goalie 10 million a season, and for him 2 million a season will matter.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
2 years is a long way off, any GM that has any decision done that early is going to make some pretty large errors, especially when he doesn't need too.

I don't see Barry Trotz paying any goalie 10 million a season, and for him 2 million a season will matter.
2 years off is just a "default position"... nobody thinks it is set in stone, I hope. The real world can always intrude on any "default position".

If $2M a season "matters"... when we just blew $4M a season on dumping Johansen... and a ton of money over a lot of years dumping a much better player in Duchene... then there is a Problem. $2M is nothing on a $90M+ Cap.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
To be honest I don’t think Askarov is a sure bet to even be a #1 or possibly even a #1b in a tandem.

His AHL results aren’t exactly earth shattering.

KHL were good but shit Lars Johanson who’s a 36 year old Swedish KHL journeyman out plays him as did another young kid Dimitry Nikolaev who by all accounts res deserves a shot in the AHL as well.
He put up a .911 with 3 shutouts as a 20 year old AHLer. 20 years old is extremely young for a goalie. He's not ready yet but I don't think there's cause for concern in his development. It's pretty obvious watching him what he needs to work on, if there's not improvement next year we can start to raise red flags.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Askarov is fine for who he is. We all love him in Nashville. Just... he needs to be "offline" from the Saros discussion.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
2 years off is just a "default position"... nobody thinks it is set in stone, I hope. The real world can always intrude on any "default position".

If $2M a season "matters"... when we just blew $4M a season on dumping Johansen... and a ton of money over a lot of years dumping a much better player in Duchene... then there is a Problem. $2M is nothing on a $90M+ Cap.
Yeah but we blew it at a time when we knew we wouldn't need it. 3-4 years down the road 2 million may be the difference in being able to make an addition we need or not.

If that's the way we are doing things we should have just given Forsberg 10.5 million as well being he's our best forward.

Askarov is fine for who he is. We all love him in Nashville. Just... he needs to be "offline" from the Saros discussion.
Kind of hard to do that when he was the guy drafted to replace him.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
He put up a .911 with 3 shutouts as a 20 year old AHLer. 20 years old is extremely young for a goalie. He's not ready yet but I don't think there's cause for concern in his development. It's pretty obvious watching him what he needs to work on, if there's not improvement next year we can start to raise red flags.

Yes it’s a flag. You want to see goalie absolutely dominate the living shit out these leagues. He posted a .903 this year in the AHL and his NHL numbers aren’t sufficient for NHL backup duty.

Even still no guarantee the kid plays as a 1 or 2 at the moment. Could but but who knows.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Yes it’s a flag. You want to see goalie absolutely dominate the living shit out these leagues. He posted a .903 this year in the AHL and his NHL numbers aren’t sufficient for NHL backup duty.

Even still no guarantee the kid plays as a 1 or 2 at the moment. Could but but who knows.
It was .911 and he played all of one NHL game. And that's after he faded down the stretch after playing a lot more hockey than he ever has at the pro level. If you want to call a 20yo goalie who we all knew had some rawness putting up .911 in the AHL a "flag" then I guess go for it, but it was better than Wallstedt, equal to Dostal, Cossa spent almost the whole year in the ECHL after getting absolutely lit up in the A, Garand didn't even hit .900. And Askarov is younger than all of them except Wallstedt and Cossa who are the same year.

The only guy who's demonstrably on a faster track than Askarov is Wolf, who is older but had better AHL numbers at the same age.

It'd be great if Askarov was hitting .930 or whatever it is you expect but scoring is up all over the place and we already knew he has elite athleticism with a couple of holes in his game to clean up. There really isn't a major concern here unless he fails to take a step forward next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: herzausstein

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Yeah but we blew it at a time when we knew we wouldn't need it. 3-4 years down the road 2 million may be the difference in being able to make an addition we need or not.

If that's the way we are doing things we should have just given Forsberg 10.5 million as well being he's our best forward.

Kind of hard to do that when he was the guy drafted to replace him.
Odd last I checked he’s not the only drafted goalie NSH has. Haider and Kloucek taken in previous years.

Goalies!

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021

Oh man.. what a terrible take. The kid just turned 21 and put up a .911 in his first NA season... 21.. as a goalie. 21 year old goalie.. remember, he's 21.. how many 21 year old goalies are just dominating competition? He'll be 21 all next season.. Red flags aren't even in the conversation for a 21yr old goalie. Twenty-one! 🤦🤦🤦🤦

Reactions: Viqsi and wmupreds

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
If you want to wank, get a yank!
IMG_0051.jpeg

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Miika Kipprusoff says hi.

There’s no viable way they’d include Tarasov. You’d seen Elvis going back with a top3 protected 2024 1st and a prospect like Johnson.

Sorry goalies just don’t hold value. Same time Nashville has no reason to trade him either.

Columbus wants a goalie just call up Craig Conroy and offer a 7th Round pick for Markstrom or take on Vladar as a project.

Several GMs have Vladar very high and the guy can be had for a 3rd.
I was going to post the same thing. I am an Oiler fan and when Kipprusoff played for the Flames I cheered fo them they had a lot of classy players. Wish Kipper won a cup. He was very deserving

Reactions: YP44

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Oh man.. what a terrible take. The kid just turned 21 and put up a .911 in his first NA season... 21.. as a goalie. 21 year old goalie.. remember, he's 21.. how many 21 year old goalies are just dominating competition? He'll be 21 all next season.. Red flags aren't even in the conversation for a 21yr old goalie. Twenty-one! 🤦🤦🤦🤦
Dustin Wolf.

Dominating.

It’s the fact his numbers dropped moving to an inferior league thet is more defensive then the KHL.

Goalies drafted at #11 in the draft expectations are not having them ripen or even over ripen in the AHL.

These are goalies with the polish to go right to the NHL as a 1B often.

Either way there’s no guarantee he’s more then a 1B or a below average backup.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Dustin Wolf.

Dominating.

It’s the fact his numbers dropped moving to an inferior league thet is more defensive then the KHL.

Goalies drafted at #11 in the draft expectations are not having them ripen or even over ripen in the AHL.

Yeah look at MAF. Went right into the NHL after being drafted 1st overall and after 3 lackluster seasons, he finally started hitting his stride in his 4th season. Or carey price getting drafted in 2005 and getting his first nhl start in 2007. Vasi gets drafted in 2012 and becomes backup in 2014 starter in 2016. Knight drafted in 2019 became backup 2021 and still has yet to put up good numbers. Maybe goalies just dont move as fast as you seem to think they do.

Also, players from all positions bust. Puljujarvi, yakupov, parent, drouin, galchenyuk, etc.... there's no guarantee any draftee becomes a great player.

staveNsteel

Jan 18, 2021
Dustin Wolf.

Dominating.

When? When do we ever see 20 year old goalies jump in as NHL 1Bs.. it doesn't happen. It is very rare to see goalies that young jump into NHL action (it happens occasionally, but rare). It's great that Wolf is doing so well, but it's not like Askarov had a bad season at all. He was great down the stretch getting Milwaukee to the playoffs. He and Cooley had great chemistry. He moved to a new country, played in a new system, played on new ice to work on angles etc.. and guess what, at 20, he did very well. At 21, he will ideally take a step forward.

You draft a goalie with his talent at #11 because that where his talent as an 18yr old warranted to be taken. Even if you're hoping he takes over at #1 sooner than most goalies, you're still looking at say 23-24yrs old. And that's still extremely young for a starting goalie in the NHL.

So you're wrong on all accounts here.. so very very wrong at that!

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
I was going to post the same thing. I am an Oiler fan and when Kipprusoff played for the Flames I cheered fo them they had a lot of classy players. Wish Kipper won a cup. He was very deserving
I just question the end of his career. It was questionable at best as he still had game at age 34 I think it was.

He just picked when he wanted step away and he absolutely deserved that.

I was one of the more vocal VIPs around the saddledome and I questioned that management knew Kipper was smoking cigarettes frequently and daily.

Dion Phaneuf was the same. Management didn’t seem to care despite the fact the tobacco products were deminishing the one ice performance.

Will never forget thet at the Flames annual poker tournament. It shocked me how many were smoking cigarettes as athletes.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Dustin Wolf.

Dominating.

"Inferior league" is pure opinion/speculation, many people consider them roughly equal, but "more defensive" is just nonsense. KHL teams averaged 2.57 gpg last year while AHL teams averaged 3.11. Almost a full half a goal more per team. You can't just make up whatever you want and state it as truth.

thehoffs

Jul 4, 2023
Yeah look at MAF. Went right into the NHL after being drafted 1st overall and after 3 lackluster seasons, he finally started hitting his stride in his 4th season. Or carey price getting drafted in 2005 and getting his first nhl start in 2007. Vasi gets drafted in 2012 and becomes backup in 2014 starter in 2016. Knight drafted in 2019 became backup 2021 and still has yet to put up good numbers. Maybe goalies just dont move as fast as you seem to think they do.

Also, players from all positions bust. Puljujarvi, yakupov, parent, drouin, galchenyuk, etc.... there's no guarantee any draftee becomes a great player.
It’s not about a guarantee.

Every draft position and every specific player come with a pre/determined risk and chance of becoming a specific type of person.

That is sadly how teams draft players.

Not even joking. Do you know when they are interviewing these kids for the draft a consideration for their draft placement is even their facial appearance.

Teams want a player with a good face that is marketable as it’s also something that ads value.

They also want players with super hot girlfriends. Sadly they view the level of girlfriend a kid has as a level of their self confidence and worth.

A kid who’s super confidence will always aim for a girl who is a 9-10+ in looks even if their brain is a 1.

So long as they are super hot and are a good lay it actually help a players stock.

There is all these crazy off ice metrics they use as well that very few are aware of.

f*** my cousin was asked at one of his draft interviews if he likes his puck bunny’s to have a bald p***y or if he cares about it.

They ask you questions like this to know the kids true person. And they are absolutely dirty trick questions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad