Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Right and we lost Smith and Bahl...our #2 and #4 PKers

Not Smith and Bahl! Whatever shall we do???

Oh, we'll probably acquire some guys. Crazy that you can replace guys

A young starting Dman is without a doubt a premium asset
Feel free to trade a first for Jordan Harris

But you want to play jerk off word games and not address the issue that's ok too
Only issue I see is your endless stream of garbage takes. Figured I was doing a great job of addressing the issue.

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Has this become the Devils Offseason Thread?

Bahl is underrated by some here. I think he could really develop into his size and be a solid mid pairing defender. That said, he was getting squeezed out, and having guys like Santeri Hatakka available, and the seemingly obvious plan to go get a veteran LHD, really underscored that.

The first is not great to give up as we've missed what, half our picks in the top 60 over the last few years? Eventually that could bite us.

As for holes, the lust to trade Holtz is a bit of a head-scratcher considering our forwards outside the star players (Hughes, Hischier, Bratt, Meier) aren't that deep. You have Mercer who I still believe very much in and then players that fill roles in Palat, Holtz, Haula. That's not even 3 full lines.

I'm not sure who we can pencil in as making the roster. Sure Nygard might make it if we pick him, or Helenius. Gritsyuk is still yet another year away, frustratingly. Hameenaho is probably another year too. I am not sure if one of Halonen or Stillman can be a fourth liner.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
*waits patiently for the reply involving Graves in some fashion regarding my comment on replacing guys"
You didn't say anything to respond to.

Replacing a LHD is not going address the depth issue and it's really not going to address the PK issue.

We're going to have to use someone on the PK who is either inexperienced at it or has never really done it....

And there is going to absolutely nothing behind that thin group.

It's an unsolvable puzzle with only less than desirable solutions.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
It's June 20th, we haven't even hit the draft or free agency yet. It's insane to me to complain this much, about losing Kevin Bahl no less, when we have no idea what the roster will look like in even a few weeks time.

But I also expected nothing less

You really should have been the next HC, Chedda.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
how will we ever replace Brendan Smith!! oh, the horror!

you can't go on and on about how pathetic it was that Smith played that much down the stretch (we're in agreement) and then in the next breath complain about how hard it will be to replace that same player. You can't have it both ways.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's absolutely not an unsolvable puzzle. You can just go get some f***ing defenseman lmao. That's what free agency is. That's what the trade market is.

Nothing will fit it doesn't matter what we do in Free Agency or via trades.

You show me 3 pairs that work cohesively and then show me the 2 PK pairs from the 6....use any names you like...

Luke, Dougie and Nemec make the PK very difficult to work and impossible to fine tune.

Maybe we can make up for it with a very good PKing forward or two but that would also be add that's not here today.

Last edited:

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

You show me 3 pairs that work cohesively and then show me the 2 PK pairs....use any names you like...

Luke, Dougie and Nemec make the PK very difficult to work and impossible to find tune.
Nemec will simply PK. He's not going to be on either PP unit (probably) so he'll have plenty of time.

He has PKed in the minors. He is a smart and mobile defenseman with enough size to be effective.

So we use,

New guy-Marino
Siegs-Nemec

if we want balanced pairs or if we want to overload one pair:

Siegs-Marino
New Guy-Nemec

There you go, f***ing problem solved.

For the 3 pairs:

Siegs-Hamilton (Known quality pair, bit of a roll of the dice given the injuries, but I don't expect them to have that much 5v5 ice time because they'll get heavy minutes on special teams)
Hughes-Marino (Marino covers for Luke, Luke makes Magic. This should be the workhorse 5on5 pair)
New guy-Nemec (Same as pairing 2, but New Guy is probably a defensive guy since he'll be a PKer, and hopefully can cover for Nemec's roaming)
Hatakka/Misyul/Casey/New 7D

Can't imagine saying "Nothing can possibly work!" when literally just getting a lefty who can PK solves all the issues in one go, lmao

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

You show me 3 pairs that work cohesively and then show me the 2 PK pairs from the 6....use any names you like...

Luke, Dougie and Nemec make the PK very difficult to work and impossible to fine tune.

Maybe we can make up for it with a very good PKing forward or two but that would also be add that's not here today.

The PK is going to be an issue, as at least one of Luke, Hamilton or Nemec need to step up for the 2nd unit. One of the bigger issues Keefe has to address. Certainly tough if you have 2 guys in Luke and Hamilton that get essentially zero PK time.

I mentioned earlier that Hamilton got 2:19 and 1:25 of PK time his final two seasons on good Carolina teams. Not sure why Ruff absolutely refused to use him there. Nemec will be worked in more and I'm not sure if Luke is completely useless there, but will be interesting to see if/how Keefe utilizes him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Nemec will simply PK. He's not going to be on either PP unit (probably) so he'll have plenty of time.

He has PKed in the minors. He is a smart and mobile defenseman with enough size to be effective.

So we use,

New guy-Marino
Siegs-Nemec

if we want balanced pairs or if we want to overload one pair:

Siegs-Marino
New Guy-Nemec

There you go, f***ing problem solved.
That's not only bad it also can't handle a single alternative should someone be less than adequate and a single injury would blow everything up.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
That's not only bad it also can't handle a single alternative should someone be less than adequate and a single injury would blow everything up.
What is bad about it lmao, seriously where's your problem? What specifically about those pairs don't work?

And yeah we could use some more depth to go with Hatakka and Misyul, that's easy enough to find. It's a 7D, they're everywhere. We acquired one two years ago. We acquired another last year. I promise you we'll get one this year, too.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
It's June 20th, we haven't even hit the draft or free agency yet. It's insane to me to complain this much, about losing Kevin Bahl no less, when we have no idea what the roster will look like in even a few weeks time.

But I also expected nothing less
Cant wait for the final act of this thread

IMG_6724.jpeg

Comparison Ford

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I'm not completely anti-Palat but certainly he hasn't HELPED as much as you'd like in the first two years of the contract considering even ones who supported the deal figured the last two years could (and maybe likely would) be rough. His 'intangibles' certainly didn't help us avoid last season and he wasn't even around two years ago when we had the great streak and took off.
the main reason i’m not anti palat is that board work to beat the rangers last year.

Reactions: Capt Nico Poo

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The PK is going to be an issue, as at least one of Luke, Hamilton or Nemec need to step up for the 2nd unit. One of the bigger issues Keefe has to address. Certainly tough if you have 2 guys in Luke and Hamilton that get essentially zero PK time.

I mentioned earlier that Hamilton got 2:19 and 1:25 of PK time his final two seasons on good Carolina teams. Not sure why Ruff absolutely refused to use him there. Nemec will be worked in more and I'm not sure if Luke is completely useless there, but will be interesting to see if/how Keefe utilizes him.

I guess we'll see if Dougie will be used as a PKer. Ruff refused to use him but so did a lot of other coaches...

Even in Carolina the 1:25 year he was the 5th PKer....the 2:19 year was really the only year he was a legit PKer and he was #4

Reactions: HBK27

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
This pairs are more than fine if new guy is good in PK. There are no 10 teams in the league with better pk pairings.
Hattaka and Misyul are average 7-8 defensemen. You are worrying about wrong thing. We should worry not about Bahl, but we should worry about the new guy who will replace him. Thats what we needed before this trade. Luke-Siegs-Bahl were not enough and Bahl was obvious player to left this ship.

I guess we'll see if Dougie will be used as a PKer. Ruff refused to use him but so did a lot of other coaches...

Even in Carolina the 1:25 year he was the 5th PKer....the 2:19 year was really the only year he was a legit PKer and he was #4
So he will be 5th PKer here this season most likely. Or even forth if Luke will figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad