Confirmed with Link: (G) J. Markstrom (30% retention) traded to NJ for (D) Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st rd pick (Top 10 protected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The best part was " his numbers fell off at the end of the year after they traded their defense"...

Lol wait until he sees the defense here :laugh:

Jim: "Defense in terrible. Goalie won't fix anything."

Jim: "Defense has to get much better"

*Devils trade the worst player in their top 6 defensemen who would get pushed out by virtue of getting the better defenders Jim is screeching for"

Jim: "Kevin Bahl is a premium asset and underrated. They are stupid for trading him"

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Jim: "Defense in terrible. Goalie won't fix anything."

Jim: "Defense has to get much better"

*Devils trade the worst player in their top 6 defensemen who would get pushed out by virtue of getting the better defenders Jim is screeching for"

Jim: "Kevin Bahl is a premium asset and underrated"
You see, the smart thing would be to bury Luke or Nemec in the minors and fill their spot with some guy that’s better on the PK

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I hope the two 34 year old goalies of Markstrom $6M and Allen $3.850M at $10M total, work out. Very expensive for old goalies. I understand it is a short term plan of 2 years while Daws and Schmidt develop.

Ok Fitz, that's done. The defense had a need, before Bahl was traded so now the need is greater for a defensive group. Find someone, a veteran or young superstar. It is hard to find young good defensemen they take so long to develop.
We could use some help on offense but not necessary at the start of the season if you have a solid defense. We can pick up offense at the trade deadline.

Go Devild

Reactions: Guadana

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I hope the two 34 year old goalies of Markstrom $6M and Allen $3.850M at $10M total, work out. Very expensive for old goalies. I understand it is a short term plan of 2 years while Daws and Schmidt develop.
Neither are getting that much man. 6M total which is a great number.

Montreal retained 50% of Allen’s contract and Calgary retained 31% of Markstrom’s.

So 1.925 + 4.125 = 6.05M total

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

Ok Fitz, that's done. The defense had a need, before Bahl was traded so now the need is greater for a defensive group. Find someone, a veteran or young superstar. It is hard to find young good defensemen they take so long to develop.
We could use some help on offense but not necessary at the start of the season if you have a solid defense. We can pick up offense at the trade deadline.

Go Devild
*whispers

Calgary and Montreal retained salary it’s a shade over 6 mil for Allen and markstrom

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We are again. So yes, if everything possible goes wrong again, we’ll stink. So will everyone else. Ridiculous to go around worrying about that possibility though.

I think it's just as risky to assume that everything goes right they are going to be great. We just don't know.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Why? People were saying the exact same thing last year. We were one of the favorites to win the Cup last year lol.

Because what wrong last year? Absolutely everything. Most times that doesn't happen again. Remember in 2011 when the Devils finished 8th worst? They made the playoffs the next year. They got healthier, they got better coaching, and things went right for them.

So sure, there's a 5% chance they pick in that range next year. I choose to think more about the 95% chance that they don't.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Glad it's short-term given the age of our tandem. Hopefully this gives us the stabilization in net next year and the new coaching staff can improve our overall defensive metrics as well.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
It was a desperate move. Not sure if anyone would say different.

The point is that everyone recognized the Devils were in a desperate place. Fitz knew he was dealing from weakness but didn't let that stop him. He still got the best deal he could.

The obvious desperation is one of the reasons many observers were thinking the Devils would have to trade #10OA. Ottawa is looking for a goalie. Detroit would like a goalie. Toronto wants a goalie. Maybe Colorado too. Fitz moved early - maybe he paid a bit too much, but he made sure he filled the need and certainly didn't wildly overpay.

Overall, I agree with Cory's assessment. The move has risks. But, it had to be done, and Fitz deserves credit for bringing the deal home.

(That said, I think everyone is under-rating Bahl's upside. He's 6'6". Thompson didn't start to break out until his age 24 season. Chara didn't have 20+ points until his age 24 season. Big guys can take a while. Not saying Bahl is going to be a superstar, just that he's not a finished product yet.)
I think the entire process of needing a goalie was desperate, but not this move specifically, if you know what I mean.

I still don't think that they overpaid at all. I mentioned it in the other thread days ago that Kuemper getting a first a few years ago pretty much locked this in as a likely first round pick going back to me and that's just the way it was. To me, this was the most standard return in a trade package I could have thought of.

The move 100% has risks, and there is an absolutely reasonable chance that it's a big, huge bust of a move. It happens. Risks will be taken. Sitting on your hands and doing nothing or not putting any skin in the game also comes with risks.

I think not liking this move because you don't like the player we got (Markstrom) makes a lot of sense. Not liking what we gave up is sort of weird unless you're hyper focused on worst case scenario (giving up pick 11 in next years draft for example is not ideal) because otherwise neither piece is overly valuable.

Could you get better pieces back with a 25 first at some point? Absolutely. But there have been and will be far worse moves made for a first round pick in the past, present and moving into the future. Giving up a protected 25 first for a guy that could stabilize your net for 2 years is totally fine with me and I get it. Doesn't mean it's ultimately a great move....I understood a lot of Shero's moves too lol.

In general, I do agree that bigger guys like Bahl need to cook longer. But I also that you're still chasing the exception there more so than the rule, and I'm never going to be that hard on not doing that. And given that his overall upside I still think is pretty capped (If his career as a grade A trajectory, I think he's "just" a 4). If he turns eventually turns into a lesser Oleksiak, am I super bummed about losing that 3 years before it happens? Not really.

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I've been critical of some Fitz thinking prior offseason/this past season but I like how he generally has kept some cap flex still this year and next while adding well salaried goalies - definitely room to make a mid-size splash or two as needed at F and D (likely couple moves) in FA or trade still. Having MTL and Calgary retain is not insignificant, and Devils aren't subjected to cap choking deals in 2026 and beyond at moment in the crease.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Now there are alternatives: 1 big goalie and 2 medium sized.

Big goalies in general are best against low & medium danger shots and they suffer in high danger chances. If Markström doesn't play out, that's probably the nr.1 reason.

Reactions: Guadana

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lebrun hear mentioned Devils are interested in Dillon:

There was also this report below:

I take the second report to mean:

Top six forward (Arvidsson, Henrique, etc. type)
Bottom six forward (Carrier, Trevon, Stenlund, etc.)
Top four defender (Dillon, DeMelo, McNabb?)
Bottom four defender (Smith, Cole, Kulikov)

If we add two more defenders like Fitz is planning, there’s no room for Bahl.

Top six forward - Toffoli
Bottom six forward - Tatar
Top four defender - Severson
Bottom four defender - Graves

:sarcasm:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It was a desperate move. Not sure if anyone would say different.

The point is that everyone recognized the Devils were in a desperate place. Fitz knew he was dealing from weakness but didn't let that stop him. He still got the best deal he could.

The obvious desperation is one of the reasons many observers were thinking the Devils would have to trade #10OA. Ottawa is looking for a goalie. Detroit would like a goalie. Toronto wants a goalie. Maybe Colorado too. Fitz moved early - maybe he paid a bit too much, but he made sure he filled the need and certainly didn't wildly overpay.

Overall, I agree with Cory's assessment. The move has risks. But, it had to be done, and Fitz deserves credit for bringing the deal home.

(That said, I think everyone is under-rating Bahl's upside. He's 6'6". Thompson didn't start to break out until his age 24 season. Chara didn't have 20+ points until his age 24 season. Big guys can take a while. Not saying Bahl is going to be a superstar, just that he's not a finished product yet.)

Yes, people are underrating Bahl. He’ll have a nice career in the NHL when Holtz playing the SHL.

I’d want Bahl over Holtz too if I was Calgary.

But unlike some, I get over lost players relatively quickly. As opposed to, you know, still crying about players we lost last off-season.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know why you would be a sports fan in general if you just assumed the worst case scenario was always going to happen.

I'm not assuming the worst will happen. Think about it this way: Do you make make big life decisions based on the assumption that absolutely everything is going to go perfectly? Of course not. That's how people end up being house poor or getting divorced after 6 months.

You need to hope the best but budget for things that might not work out the way you hope. Do I assume the pick will be 11? Absolutely not. Do I acknowledge it could be given a huge amount of unknowns? Yes. I think it would be foolish not to.

Last edited:

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I hope the two 34 year old goalies of Markstrom $6M and Allen $3.850M at $10M total, work out. Very expensive for old goalies.
Damn the rare "wrong about everything" post. You don't see that in the wild too often.

All of this is potentially moot if Jack's repaired shoulder or the good one gets blown up.
posts like this are so weird lol. Yeah, no shit, if our best player gets a massive injury we're in a tough spot. Is there a team in sports where that doesn't apply?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Brendan Dillon is a solid option but his time played per game isnt really up where Id want it to be; though hed also be signed for less term

Brady Skjei is more in line with what I think we need but also will cost more with longer term; though he isnt as defensive as Id like

Unless Siegenthaler rebounds in a major way, then Dillon would just be an expensive third pair dman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad